The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

It's been a term and a bit and I'm still not happy with my course. What should I do?

Hi, i would really appreciate advice on what I should do now that I am certain that university is not for me. I've been attending for about 6 months now and I'm really struggling with my course. It's not that I find it overly difficult, it just doesn't make me happy and it's made me loose passion in my writing (i study creative writing). I've been telling myself for months that it will get better but it just hasn't. The only things that have stopped me from quitting are the fact I've made some great friends and I love the society that I'm in (climbing and mountaineering). And I've sorted out a house to live in next year with some friends.
I mean, I like university in general but the course is not for me at all. What should I do? Stick it out even though I really don't like it? (i would come out with an awful grade too) or find other options? Any recommendations? It would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Pamelathinks
Hi, i would really appreciate advice on what I should do now that I am certain that university is not for me. I've been attending for about 6 months now and I'm really struggling with my course. It's not that I find it overly difficult, it just doesn't make me happy and it's made me loose passion in my writing (i study creative writing). I've been telling myself for months that it will get better but it just hasn't. The only things that have stopped me from quitting are the fact I've made some great friends and I love the society that I'm in (climbing and mountaineering). And I've sorted out a house to live in next year with some friends.
I mean, I like university in general but the course is not for me at all. What should I do? Stick it out even though I really don't like it? (i would come out with an awful grade too) or find other options? Any recommendations? It would be much appreciated.

I'm also at edge hill, I think you should talk to your course leader about this and they can advise you on what is best to do.
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
I saw this since I applied to Edge Hill, but last year I was studying Computer Science in portsmouth and I didn't really like it that much I was doing well but the subject and how the course was run really put me off. I felt like if I really grinded it out it's possible I could have got a 2:1 but I wasn't really in a place/mood to put in that type of work.

I ended up speaking to lesson tutors, personal tutors, course leaders and the people at the uni employment agency, to see what the differences for employment would be if I focused on just Web Design & Development; and eventually I chose to drop out as portsmouth had an unsuitable Web Dev course. Which was a real real shame since I was 24 and it took me like 2-3 years to even get back into the position of applying to Uni. I know that it was the right decision for me personally even if it did suck when I moved out on the last day, I'm just trying to keep positive till next september :tongue: a cool thing is even though I dropped out I took up karate at uni to do something different, and I'm still doing it now at home so I'm glad I went there if just for the social/uni life.

Is there a course you could transfer to 2nd year or do a double honours ? My friend did IT with me at college but chose "Amercian History" ( Lol WTF) at uni, he doesn't like it, but the uni offered him the chance to do computer science along side it next year.

I would ask tutors (personal and teaching) and course leaders about possible options, maybe you could finish this year at current Uni then start at another Uni but in the second year (probably a question for Ucas since) then you maybe you would feel better knowing that next year you'd be doing something you want.

If its that bad like me and you find it would affect your grade so negatively I would definetly ask around.
Reply 3
Thanks for answering. It's relieving to know that I wasn't alone in this type of situation. The past day I've been looking at other courses and thinking about what I really want to devote my life to. Turns out I really want to do this course in the university of Cumbria. The course is Outdoor Studies and since I've always wanted to work outdoors (as a mountain guide or climbing instructor) this course offers me a chance to do that. I only took Creative Writing because work-wise I thought it was the smart choice. Well i was wrong, i wish I only realised this sooner.

I'm going to finish this year, then take a gap year and sort out my life e.g work until I've decided I've got a reasonable amount of money saved up and then move to Ambleside (which is where the campus is). The only thing I really need to think about now is if I want to do a full time or part time course. I don't think I handle full time courses very well but I've heard some bad things about being part time (for example, I wouldn't be able to get any student discounts) but I could work at my own pace and really settle in. What do you think?

But I am going to talk to my personal and teaching tutors and see what they think.
Thanks again for taking the time to write to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pamelathinks
Thanks for answering. It's relieving to know that I wasn't alone in this type of situation. The past day I've been looking at other courses and thinking about what I really want to devote my life to. Turns out I really want to do this course in the university of Cumbria. The course is Outdoor Studies and since I've always wanted to work outdoors (as a mountain guide or climbing instructor) this course offers me a chance to do that. I only took Creative Writing because work-wise I thought it was the smart choice. Well i was wrong, i wish I only realised this sooner.

I'm going to finish this year, then take a gap year and sort out my life e.g work until I've decided I've got a reasonable amount of money saved up and then move to Ambleside (which is where the campus is). The only thing I really need to think about now is if I want to do a full time or part time course. I don't think I handle full time courses very well but I've heard some bad things about being part time (for example, I wouldn't be able to get any student discounts) but I could work at my own pace and really settle in. What do you think?

But I am going to talk to my personal and teaching tutors and see what they think.
Thanks again for taking the time to write to me.

hey :smile: just wondering, what exactly didn't you like about it? I only ask cause I was thinking about applying for creative writing (though Nottingham is my first choice.) Is it just cause you don't like creative writing that much to do a degree in it? thanks :smile:
Interestingly I know a girl doing the same course but she's just finished her second year and she doesn't enjoy it either.
Reply 6
Original post by Nutella:3
Interestingly I know a girl doing the same course but she's just finished her second year and she doesn't enjoy it either.

thank you :smile: having doubts about applying there now :L do you know why she doesn't like it?
Original post by Laura57
thank you :smile: having doubts about applying there now :L do you know why she doesn't like it?

I talked to her about it today and she said the course is quite repetitive, and she agrees with the first post - that it can make you lose your passion for it at times. I suppose you'll get that in every course though, there will be aspects you like about it and aspects you don't. She said she enjoyed first year but didn't enjoy the second which is the reverse to what the first poster said. I think it's probably a personal thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending