The Student Room Group

Why do I look completely different in mirrors then in photos?!

Why?! Why do I look completely different in mirrors then in photos?! Why?! Even a man who does protraits drew me different from what I look like in photos, but everyone says it looked exactly like me.

Yeah people find little differences in photos that's look different from mirrors... But I look completely different it's sooooooooooooooo creepy!!!!

In photos and videos everything of my face looks uneven.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A mirror is exactly that; a mirror-image! It is the inverted picture of your face, a photograph shows your face the way everyone else sees you
Reply 2
Take a photo, and flip it horizontally, and see if it looks like your mirror image :tongue:
Original post by notthegreatest
Why?! Why do I look completely different in mirrors then in photos?! Why?! Even a man who does protraits drew me different from what I look like in photos, but everyone says it looked exactly like me.

Yeah people find little differences in photos that's look different from mirrors... But I look completely different it's sooooooooooooooo creepy!!!!

That's shocking to know that your photographs and your mirror reflections are COMPLETELY different. Try to use your phone to take a pic of yourself in front of a mirror. See whether it's still different. :smile:
Original post by michaelhaych
A mirror is exactly that; a mirror-image! It is the inverted picture of your face, a photograph shows your face the way everyone else sees you

Are you sure about that?.. Because the guy who drew me drew me COMPLETELY different from what I see in photos... And everyone is saying it looks exactly like me... And it was different from what I see in photos..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by applicant2014
That's shocking to know that your photographs and your mirror reflections are COMPLETELY different. Try to use your phone to take a pic of yourself in front of a mirror. See whether it's still different. :smile:

I always thought video cameras were more "honest" because a photo is a still image, but a video is more moving.
I always thought video cameras were more "honest" because a photo is a still image, but a video is more moving.

Agree on that. A photo is just a static moment of you being captured while a video is a closer reflection of your true image since it's taken in more dimensions.

My experience was on my voice though. I remembered I got to record my voice for a video for my school when I was ard 15. I was in utter shock when I heard my 'own' true voice recorded in the video. I kept asking the others whether that was really what I sounded like. They all said yes. It creeped me out!
I don't know but... I feel video cameras are more honest than still photos and mirrors...

People say that mirror reverses your image... But so do photos at times, and plus a photo add pounds to you...

That's not it.. When I take a picture of myself I look different then when someone else takes a picture of me.. I look uglier when I take a picture of my self, then when someone else does it.

People say that photos are more honest because they tell the truth... But then you have people who are described as "photogenic" and those who you know look better in real life then in photos.

I look better in mirrors, but horrible in photos and video cameras... But I think VIDEO cameras are more honest...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Never let Picasso draw you :rolleyes:
Original post by aranexus
Never let Picasso draw you :rolleyes:
thats true... But he didn't even draw me "pretty"... So I don't know what I really look like...
(edited 10 years ago)

I did that... I still look different from photos and mirrors... I look ugly in both... But even in video cameras I look ugly... But I think videos are more honest... I think most people hate video cameras then photos and mirrors...
I did that... I still look different from photos and mirrors... I look ugly in both... But even in video cameras I look ugly... But I think videos are more honest... I think most people hate video cameras then photos and mirrors...

What do you mean? So your conclusion is that you look ugly?

Quoting from an actress who said' those who say pictures never lie are lying'.
What do you mean? So your conclusion is that you look ugly?

Quoting from an actress who said' those who say pictures never lie are lying'.

I look ugly both ways... I look ugly in mirrors, photos and video cameras. But I look different I all three...
i think

photos accentuate your wrinkles, bad features, especially close-up.
mirrors let you see what you want to see.

i aso notice the difference in the tone.
Reply 14
A camera is comprised of one lens, so you get the entire image in a single direction. We have two lenses, our eyes, and with the distance they are set apart the brain ties the two 'inputs' together to create a field of depth. A mirror merely reflects your vision and both eyes still receive slightly different views of yourself, that why it doesn't look strange.

To add to this, as most people have mentioned already most pictures are usually your true image, since otherwise you will only ever see a reflected version of yourself (You can arrange two mirrors at 90 degrees to eachother and see your real face).

Videos look less 'strange' because the movement creates a false field of depth, since your brain always tries to see them as 3 dimensional pictures.

Here's an idea, if you can somehow get your hands on a 3D camera, take a picture of yourself, and mirror the image. You should see your familiar mirrored self, and realise you don't look that bad at all :smile:

Interesting thing - Unless you clone yourself, you will NEVER see your true self in person. And even if you walked past your clone, it'd look so strange and different to how you know yourself, you'd probably never notice them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A thing for why your recorded voice sounds different

Spoiler

Reply 15
I think I look different in photos too, sometimes I don't even recognise myself lol. I agree about a video being more accurate. Also some people look better in photos than real life and vice versa.
Original post by KICHMYARSE
i think

photos accentuate your wrinkles, bad features, especially close-up.
mirrors let you see what you want to see.

i aso notice the difference in the tone.

"Mirrors, let you see what you want to see" ?!! What bull**** is this?! I don't see what I want to see in mirrors...
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
A camera is comprised of one lens, so you get the entire image in a single direction. We have two lenses, our eyes, and with the distance they are set apart the brain ties the two 'inputs' together to create a field of depth. A mirror merely reflects your vision and both eyes still receive slightly different views of yourself, that why it doesn't look strange.

To add to this, as most people have mentioned already most pictures are usually your true image, since otherwise you will only ever see a reflected version of yourself (You can arrange two mirrors at 90 degrees to eachother and see your real face).

Videos look less 'strange' because the movement creates a false field of depth, since your brain always tries to see them as 3 dimensional pictures.

Here's an idea, if you can somehow get your hands on a 3D camera, take a picture of yourself, and mirror the image. You should see your familiar mirrored self, and realise you don't look that bad at all :smile:

Interesting thing - Unless you clone yourself, you will NEVER see your true self in person. And even if you walked past your clone, it'd look so strange and different to how you know yourself, you'd probably never notice them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A thing for why your recorded voice sounds different

Spoiler

A camera also has different types of megapixels, plus it add pounds.

I think VIDEOs are more honest, because when I take videos of someone 90% of the time they look more accurate reflecting on what they look like in real life then with photos, in photos I've noticed that some people look different then in real life.
(edited 10 years ago)
"Mirrors, let you see what you want to see" ?!! What bull**** is this?! I don't see what I want to see in mirrors...

when you are putting weight you dont notice it even though you look at yourself everyday in the mirror.
Reply 19
A camera also has different types of megapixels, plus it add pounds.

I think VIDEOs are more honest, because when I take videos of someone 90% of the time they look more accurate to what they look like in real life then with photos.

A 3D camera would overcome a lot of the problems :P (PS Video cameras also have different amounts of megapixels)

Latest