The Student Room Group

All the major city firms hire two years in advance? People on GDL can't apply?

I am planning to start the GDL this September, but having had a look at the application procedures and deadlines of most of the larger city firms. For Non law applicants, practically all of them have a Jan-March deadline this year for training contracts commencing in Sept 2016.

There is no application window for those currently doing the GDL.

Why then, am I seeing all the threads here about people self funding their GDL and applying for TC while on the GDL? Surely they would be way past the deadline?

Am I missing something?

I was hoping to apply for TCs once I started my GDL because I am a career changer and doubt I could convince law firms on my commitment otherwise. Would that be too late?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The general suggested pattern for applying for TCs is that:

Law students apply in their penultimate year (two years in advance: the first is spent doing the final year of the law degree and the second is spent doing the LPC)
Non-law students apply in their final year (again two years in advance: first year is spent doing GDL and second year spent during LPC)

However these are only the ideal times for these student to apply and receive an offer and are not strict guidelines. Anyone falling outside of these time frames are still able to apply for TCs and vac schemes - the only issue is that your eventual start date may be delayed as a result. This is what happened to me and I've spent the intervening time working as a paralegal at the firm where I will eventually become a trainee. My other advice would be avoid applying for Summer vacation schemes, as these tend to be reserved for law students in their second year at university. Apply instead for winter vacation schemes. Many students on these schemes will be career-changers or students who are coming to the end of their GDL or LPC.
Reply 2
Thanks for clarifying that.

That's quite a surprise to me, so all the GDL students who don't have TCs basically have to delay their start dates and wait a further year? i thought it was quite common not to have a TC when starting GDL and applying for one during was quite routine.
Original post by DimaTae
Thanks for clarifying that.

That's quite a surprise to me, so all the GDL students who don't have TCs basically have to delay their start dates and wait a further year? i thought it was quite common not to have a TC when starting GDL and applying for one during was quite routine.

I am also a career changer. Lots of firms don't employ two years in advance - check out who does what when on Law Careers.Net.

It's possible for career changers etc that a year or two wait is a bit undesirable but I do believe lots of the more 'fresh out of university' candidates do whole 'travelling' thing in their time off. Or paralegal, as it says above.
Reply 4
Original post by happyinthehaze
I am also a career changer. Lots of firms don't employ two years in advance - check out who does what when on Law Careers.Net.

It's possible for career changers etc that a year or two wait is a bit undesirable but I do believe lots of the more 'fresh out of university' candidates do whole 'travelling' thing in their time off. Or paralegal, as it says above.

I looked on Lawcareers and it seems that all of the main city firms recruit two years in advance, the deadlines this year for training contracts in 2015 all seem to be by regional or very small firms.

Am I wrong in thinking most people on the GDL did not have TC? It seems there is not much point starting GDL without a TC lined up since you would have at least 3 years to start the TC.

Also what's the point of all the career services etc offered by GDL course providers if its too late by the time you started?
Original post by DimaTae
I looked on Lawcareers and it seems that all of the main city firms recruit two years in advance, the deadlines this year for training contracts in 2015 all seem to be by regional or very small firms.

Am I wrong in thinking most people on the GDL did not have TC? It seems there is not much point starting GDL without a TC lined up since you would have at least 3 years to start the TC.

Also what's the point of all the career services etc offered by GDL course providers if its too late by the time you started?

Yes, mostly the big firms do recruit two years in advance. I think a lot of people on the GDL don't see it as 'too late' at all. There are a lot of firms out there who won't recruit you until you have an LPC never mind the GDL. Also, a lot of people won't mind the two year wait, if they do manage to get a TC.

I don't know what the figures might be, but there are a lot of people who want to get into to law who don't go and work for the big city firms, so the two year gap is less of an issue.

The big city firm approach is designed to recruit promising undergrads who will need/want their GDL/LPC fees paying - often the big firms want you to go to particular places for your LPC particularly.

I know where you are coming from - there is NO WAY I would have been able to do all these TC apps three years ago!

Quick Reply

Latest