The Student Room Group

Accommodation for Summer Interns in London

Hey guys, I am looking for options for renting an apartment this summer while I am interning in London. Anything you'd recommend? I'd want something with a gym/pool either around or within the apartment building. Will be working in Canary Wharf so probably looking around East London.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gery2010
Hey guys, I am looking for options for renting an apartment this summer while I am interning in London. Anything you'd recommend? I'd want something with a gym/pool either around or within the apartment building. Will be working in Canary Wharf so probably looking around East London.
Cheers

Whoreditch

Cheers

It's pretty hard to find such a thing for the period (10 weeks). Particularly since interns aren't so well paid these days. But if that isn't a concern of yours - you'll want to consider which division you're in and thus the hours. Particular firms are better about what they have for a gym too.
Reply 3
Nido Spitafields.

If you can get past their terrible customer service, it's a pretty convenient (but expensive) option.
Reply 4

Cheers

I had a friend intern in London a couple of summers ago and she stayed in student halls @ Uni of Greenwich. She was 5 minutes walk from the station and 11 minute direct DLR train to Canary Wharf station. Definitely have a look; they were decent for halls and had quite a few people interning over the summer. Plus the 10 week contract wasn't a problem.

I think Goldsmiths do a similar summer accommodation scheme, and other unis must do too, so definitely have a look. I'm biased, because I love Greenwich though. If you do go for Greenwich, she stayed in Davenport House.
Reply 5

Cheers

You have quite some options around Canary wharf for what you are looking for mate. Many new buildings in that area are being or have been built with a gym or swimming pool within the block so you will most likely find something. Transport costs are very high here, so as suggestion, find something as close as possible to your job. I recommend you check some sites and some reviews, and if you need some help just send me a PM:wink:
Reply 6
Hi guys, same story, was offered a 10-week-internship in Canary Wharf and now I'm trying to decide where to live for the summer.

I'm looking to get a room in a shared-flat/house, but after checking a few ads on spareroom.co.uk I've seen that most of them have a minimum letting period of up to 6 months. I'm thinking this might be due to the fact that summer is still a few good months away and that offers for the summer period will start going out in May or even early June. Also, most of the ads were posted by Agencies, and I feel they might not be too flexible with deposits/guarantors and minimum letting periods.

I've got my eyes set on the Westferry DLR area, seems reasonable and close enough to CW. I prefer walking to work for 20-25 minutes rather than take a tube or DLR.

What do you guys think of what I've said here? Any issues you want to point out and hints that could help me find something suitable are appreciated. Also, if you have any other suggestions (I've heard Canada Water is good too and someone also posted here about Greenwhich) or offers, let me know.

Cheers
Reply 7
Original post by radidin91
Hi guys, same story, was offered a 10-week-internship in Canary Wharf and now I'm trying to decide where to live for the summer.

I'm looking to get a room in a shared-flat/house, but after checking a few ads on spareroom.co.uk I've seen that most of them have a minimum letting period of up to 6 months. I'm thinking this might be due to the fact that summer is still a few good months away and that offers for the summer period will start going out in May or even early June. Also, most of the ads were posted by Agencies, and I feel they might not be too flexible with deposits/guarantors and minimum letting periods.

I've got my eyes set on the Westferry DLR area, seems reasonable and close enough to CW. I prefer walking to work for 20-25 minutes rather than take a tube or DLR.

What do you guys think of what I've said here? Any issues you want to point out and hints that could help me find something suitable are appreciated. Also, if you have any other suggestions (I've heard Canada Water is good too and someone also posted here about Greenwhich) or offers, let me know.

Cheers

Hi radidin91!

You are right that most places have a minimum stay of 6 months but, this is because of the time of the year we are at now. In a few months (as you said May/June) there will be many opportunities with a lower minimum stay, since people leave London, and a lot of people come for the same or similar reasons as yours and, obviously, agencies dont want empty rooms for a couple of months when they can fill them up.

I know this site http://goo.gl/jLsl7N has a minimum stay of 4 weeks at the moment and for me it has worked pretty well on finding a place to stay in (without direct costs). You can try to have a look at it and see if you find something, otherwise I advise you to decide an area where you would like to be and then wait for a month or two, and start searching specifically for accommodation in that area.

Greenwich is a cool place by the way :wink: but you should think about what are you coming to London for (work and party, work and tourism, work and work... etc) because if you want to enjoy London, Greenwich might be a little far for it.
Reply 8
Original post by radidin91

Cheers
Hi! I had a summer intership two years ago near Canary Wharf and stayed at Sir John Cass Hall in Hackney. There's a direct bus line (277) which takes around 30 minutes or the overground which was quite fast on lazy mornings even with the Olympics on. It's quite affordable comparing with others. You get a single room, which is maybe a bit small, but there's a big common room with all you need downstairs and tbh with work you barely do anything more than just sleep in there. They have breakfast in the morning and shared kitchens on the floors with everything you need. Showers and toilets are also shared but there are plenty, clean and you can lock yourself inside and that's it - nobody's bothering you. There's a Tesco right next to it and plenty of good connections with the City. What I found quite useful was the N26 which goes Waterloo to their door.
Reply 9
Hi!
I am renting my room for July and August in a new student accommodation in Zone 1. It is located just a few minutes walking from the City. Tube station: Aldgate East. 219 £ per week, all inclusive. Free on site GYM.

I really think it is perfect: new (the opened it in september), tv on your room and in the common room, double bed and the gym is included.

For more details, please contact me: +44(0)7429025071 o post your email address!
I am looking for a room this summer too, some of my friends already booked their accommodation but are spending up to 400 pw (crazy in my opinion)
Am I right that in a few weeks there will be more rooms on spareroom.com and similar websites? there are already some but I expect more students to go home for the summer!
Reply 11
Room available in 2 bed flat at Paris Gardens in Southwark, 239GBP per week, bills included, from May, 1st to September, 11th.
Reply 12
Original post by gryllito
Hi!
I am renting my room for July and August in a new student accommodation in Zone 1. It is located just a few minutes walking from the City. Tube station: Aldgate East. 219 £ per week, all inclusive. Free on site GYM.

I really think it is perfect: new (the opened it in september), tv on your room and in the common room, double bed and the gym is included.

For more details, please contact me: +44(0)7429025071 o post your email address!

Hi I was wondering if this room is still available?
I need accom near canary wharf/a tube station. Would like it to be cheap, i actually feel like saving money i make.
Reply 14
Original post by moritzplatz
I am looking for a room this summer too, some of my friends already booked their accommodation but are spending up to 400 pw (crazy in my opinion)
Am I right that in a few weeks there will be more rooms on spareroom.com and similar websites? there are already some but I expect more students to go home for the summer!

400pw is nothing mate

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/32736989
Reply 15

Congrats, you can use the sort function on zoopla?
Reply 16
Original post by uxa595
Congrats, you can use the sort function on zoopla?

Congrats, you can make condescending posts on an internet forum?
Hey I have room near Canary wharf if you are still looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelnell
Hey I have room near Canary wharf if you are still looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whatcha you got?
Double room, in a four bed flat 2mins walk from island gardens dlr x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending