The Student Room Group

Weight training but want to lose the fat on my abs.

Okay, so at the moment I am weight training to build muscle. I train abs once a week but I know that it won't help remove the layer of fat covering the top of my abs. I know I cannot spot reduce fat. So what shall I do, shall I do cardio alongside resistance training or should I just continue to build muscle and then cut down afterwards? Also I have heard that resistance training does help lose fat as well. So what do you guys think?
Reply 1
Keep resistance training to build muscle and throw in one or two cardio days a week. Also if you're gonna do cardio on a resistance day make sure you do it after you've lifted. Id say focus on putting on some muscle mass right now because the muscle will raise your base metabolic rate so in theory cutting is easier. Id also suggest compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlifts, OHP) because they work several muscle groups at once so they help with gaining muscle and reducing bodyfat. Thats what id personally do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be sure to have a healthy diet too. It's well enough doing cardio, but if you're loading yourself with junk, it isn't going to do you any favours with regard to fat loss.
Reply 3
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Be sure to have a healthy diet too. It's well enough doing cardio, but if you're loading yourself with junk, it isn't going to do you any favours with regard to fat loss.

Sorry I forgot to mention my diet. I eat around 3000 calories a day but its mainly carbs such as pasta, rice, oats and lots of protein. I do not eat any junk food at all. Is this a good diet to have if I want to do what I want?
Original post by mrhedgehog
Sorry I forgot to mention my diet. I eat around 3000 calories a day but its mainly carbs such as pasta, rice, oats and lots of protein. I do not eat any junk food at all. Is this a good diet to have if I want to do what I want?

I'm no dietician. I can't give you great detail of how your diet should be. However, I would say carbs shouldn't be the main chunk of your diet. Try to limit your carbs in meals to 1/3 of the meal makeup at most.

This is excluding breakfast, because porridge is awesome. Gives lots of energy and is a good source of protein.

Eat more vegetables, fruits and drink lots of water.

It's simple, really. If you exercise off more than you intake, you'll lose fat.
Reply 5
I'm no dietician. I can't give you great detail of how your diet should be. However, I would say carbs shouldn't be the main chunk of your diet. Try to limit your carbs in meals to 1/3 of the meal makeup at most.

This is excluding breakfast, because porridge is awesome. Gives lots of energy and is a good source of protein.

Eat more vegetables, fruits and drink lots of water.

It's simple, really. If you exercise off more than you intake, you'll lose fat.

I agree with the last sentence but will I be able to build muscle at the same time?
I agree with the last sentence but will I be able to build muscle at the same time?

Building muscle is all about protein.

Being healthy is all about having nutrients, vitamins and a balanced diet.

As long as you have a well reasoned diet and workout routine, you will be able to build muscle and lose fat.

Tell you what - if you want to lose fat, do High Intensity Interval Training, as well as cardio. You'll shed fat by the buckets and your muscles will look much more defined as a result.

I'd lose the carbs from your night time eating, and eat big as normal during the morning and day.
Reply 8
Original post by nase14_aldayz
I'd lose the carbs from your night time eating, and eat big as normal during the morning and day.

Building muscle is all about protein.

Being healthy is all about having nutrients, vitamins and a balanced diet.

As long as you have a well reasoned diet and workout routine, you will be able to build muscle and lose fat.

Tell you what - if you want to lose fat, do High Intensity Interval Training, as well as cardio. You'll shed fat by the buckets and your muscles will look much more defined as a result.

Thank you guys, I will modify my diet accordingly.

Do you think I should do HIIT now while bulking or after a few months when I am a little satisfied with my gains?
Thank you guys, I will modify my diet accordingly.

Do you think I should do HIIT now while bulking or after a few months when I am a little satisfied with my gains?

Depends if you want to start shedding the fat now, or later on?

Personally I think HIIT is a good idea whatever you're trying to achieve.
Reply 10
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Depends if you want to start shedding the fat now, or later on?

Personally I think HIIT is a good idea whatever you're trying to achieve.

I personally would want to concentrate on building muscle now by weightlifting and maybe in a few months try losing the fat. The fat is not too much, just a little on my abs only.
Reply 11
I personally would want to concentrate on building muscle now by weightlifting and maybe in a few months try losing the fat. The fat is not too much, just a little on my abs only.

Sounds like you have it figured out.

It is very difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time for more than maybe a month. If you need to build significant amounts of muscle (if you're very skinny) then you won't lose much fat, if any in the beginning phase.

The last bit of fat is always hard to lose, you cant 'target' fat in specific areas.

Just carry on with you routines and over time this will reduce. Also, with abs, the diet is more important that the exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest