The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstance. 3 years too late?

.o.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by f1 boss
Dear TSR users,

After having recently graduated from University, I realise how difficult it is to find a job with my A level grades. I did not do too bad, think around the 280 mark with top 3 A levels. However, there is an incident that occurred 2 weeks before my exams. My parents split up. This caused a considerable amount of stress which greatly impacted my performance. I was predicted AAB and obtained BBC.

The question I ask of you, is whether I can contact my school and bring this issue up with them? I realise that I should have done this at the time, but I was so distraught that all I wanted to do was take the exams and get away from all the stress. In addition, I was given some very bad advice from my parents and family friends. The motto was that, I should try and forget it and concentrate on my exams. As I managed to find a University that was in the top 20 for my course, I didn't bring it up with my school. Once again, bad advice.

If anyone could shed some light on this issue and advise me accordingly, I would greatly appreciate it. If it helps, I graduated with a First Class Honours.

Kind regards

P.s. I was unaware as to which section to post this thread.

Not being rude at all, but why would you contact them? :confused:
Original post by f1 boss
Dear TSR users,

After having recently graduated from University, I realise how difficult it is to find a job with my A level grades. I did not do too bad, think around the 280 mark with top 3 A levels. However, there is an incident that occurred 2 weeks before my exams. My parents split up. This caused a considerable amount of stress which greatly impacted my performance. I was predicted AAB and obtained BBC.

The question I ask of you, is whether I can contact my school and bring this issue up with them? I realise that I should have done this at the time, but I was so distraught that all I wanted to do was take the exams and get away from all the stress. In addition, I was given some very bad advice from my parents and family friends. The motto was that, I should try and forget it and concentrate on my exams. As I managed to find a University that was in the top 20 for my course, I didn't bring it up with my school. Once again, bad advice.

If anyone could shed some light on this issue and advise me accordingly, I would greatly appreciate it. If it helps, I graduated with a First Class Honours.

Kind regards

P.s. I was unaware as to which section to post this thread.
Absolutely no chance. You've had three years to put things right since then, anyway. Sorry, but it's time to move on. In any case, the maximum allowed for the most extreme extenuating circumstances, which is defined as death of a parent or sibling is 5%, so it was never going to be a panacea. Well done for doing well at university.
Reply 3
It's far too late. You can't do anything but move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
.o.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm sorry but I'd hardly say your parents splitting up counts as an extenuating Circumstance. :redface:

And three years is a long time and add to the fact that you're over 19 and this isn't your first alevel course so you'd have to pay anyway so you may as well go to a centre and do it independently.

Your school has nothing to do with you anymore.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
.o.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
.o.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by f1 boss
Thank you for your reply. However, I am not looking for them to revise my grades. I was merely wondering as to whether I would be able to tell the school about this issue. I believe your figures may be accurate, but employers include a section for candidates to explain extenuating circumstances, which they look at on an individual basis. Hence, say one lost his parent; they would realise that 5% would not be sufficient and does not show a true reflection of the candidate's academic capability.

The problem is, had I warned the school about it beforehand, I believe that I would not have been at this unfair disadvantage. I do intend to move on, however, if this issue can be rectified, albeit 3 years down the line, it would assist my case.

I can't see that the school's say-so would make any difference to what you put on the application form. You explain what your circumstances are in your own words. I can't recall ever being contacted by an employer to confirm a student's circumstances after they had left, and in any case, the school would be unlikely to release this information to a third party, so I don't think the school can help you in any way.
Reply 9
Original post by f1 boss
Thank you for your reply. However, I am not looking for them to revise my grades. I was merely wondering as to whether I would be able to tell the school about this issue. I believe your figures may be accurate, but employers include a section for candidates to explain extenuating circumstances, which they look at on an individual basis. Hence, say one lost his parent; they would realise that 5% would not be sufficient and does not show a true reflection of the candidate's academic capability.

The problem is, had I warned the school about it beforehand, I believe that I would not have been at this unfair disadvantage. I do intend to move on, however, if this issue can be rectified, albeit 3 years down the line, it would assist my case.

All the school would be able to say is "bob has recently informed us that his parents split up at the time of his A Levels". That won't help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by f1 boss
The reason is because I have mentioned this as a mitigating circumstance, and one of the firm's has requested I attach a letter from the school. Something to say that this affected my performance.

The bad advice that I had received included information suggesting that A-levels were not important, and that it is only the degree that counts.

How can you be sure that it's your A-levels that are stopping you?
Part of growing up and becoming a mature adult is realising you can't change your childhood. And that you can't 'blame' this part of your life for anything that subsequently happens to you.

Everyone has set-backs in life. We just get on with it, plough on through and don't look around for excuses. You can't hide behind these sort of 'it wasn't my fault' excuses for the rest of your life - its childish and petulant, and won't ever impress an employer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending