The Student Room Group

Are Benefit Scroungers to blame for the state of the UK economy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TerribleTej
Governments inability to manage its own money is also a reason, its fine if you borrow money to fund infrastructure projects or education which should give you a greater return in the future, but to borrow money for benefits, healthcare and just to pay the damn interest on the existing debt is longer term financial suicide for short term gains. The NHS has the capability (and even more) to treat all its patients on time its just that it is damn inefficient (something I actually didn't believe in until I saw the scale of the inefficiency with my own eyes), the point of benefits is that the person/people living on them should be as uncomfortable as possible so they get out of benefits and get a job, just look at benefits street, more than half the characters we see smoke or/and drink on a regular basis, something which the tax payers money just shouldn't pay for. This is the same for almost all the developed countries in this world, people relying too much on their governments to do something for them when they can't be bothered to do things themselves.

Furthermore my hatred of politicians from all around the world stems from the fact that they go after votes or their own good rather than the good for their country, we always see politicians doing things for the short term (i.e. raising/decreasing income taxes on certain groups of people just before elections) rather than the long term. I don't know who exactly is to blame for this but my opinion is that the inability of the general public to see the benefits(edit: or consequences of certain decisions) in the future is probably one of them.

Before I get criticised for this I would like to tell everyone that my family probably belongs in the bottom quarter of household income levels, we believe in hard work rather than relying on the government to get things done for us and if everyone did the same then the problems we notice today would occur much less frequently than they do now.

The NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the western world when you look at health outcomes as compared to the proportion of funding relative to countries' GDP. In fact, we're on course for one of the most poorly funded healthcare systems in the G20, which ironically is where the NHS was in 1997 before labour's investment. Also, investment in health actually saves money in he longer term, as the increased productivity and reduced sick days caused by improving physical and mental health, never mind reduced social care and judicial costs leads to greater GDP and reduces expenditure in emergency care and other vital services.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how many times people believe that you should motivate the rich by providing tax breaks and reducing regulation, whereas the poor are encouraged to work by giving them less. The fact is, benefits issues are often a proxy issue to employment opportunities; I imagine it didn't escape many people that we now have more people in poverty in work than retired, disabled or otherwise economically inactive. To encourage people into work, make work pay and provide opportunities. If people then turn those opportunities down when they offer a brighter, wealthier and healthier future, then punitive measures can be adopted, but as a last resort, not the first!
Reply 81
Original post by Dr.Psych
The NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the western world when you look at health outcomes as compared to the proportion of funding relative to countries' GDP. In fact, we're on course for one of the most poorly funded healthcare systems in the G20, which ironically is where the NHS was in 1997 before labour's investment. Also, investment in health actually saves money in he longer term, as the increased productivity and reduced sick days caused by improving physical and mental health, never mind reduced social care and judicial costs leads to greater GDP and reduces expenditure in emergency care and other vital services.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how many times people believe that you should motivate the rich by providing tax breaks and reducing regulation, whereas the poor are encouraged to work by giving them less. The fact is, benefits issues are often a proxy issue to employment opportunities; I imagine it didn't escape many people that we now have more people in poverty in work than retired, disabled or otherwise economically inactive. To encourage people into work, make work pay and provide opportunities. If people then turn those opportunities down when they offer a brighter, wealthier and healthier future, then punitive measures can be adopted, but as a last resort, not the first!

You didn't notice the biggest tax cuts on pay during this Parliament were for the poor...
Reply 82
No they are the victims of the UK economy.

If they lost their job as a result of the recession.
If they can't find another job that pays enough for a sustainable living, but are seen as viewing certain jobs as beneath them.
If they are hit by the government cuts.

The amount they cost is very small in comparison to other budgets.

But everyone needs a scapegoat don't they?
Original post by Dr.Psych

NHS maybe the most efficient health care system in the western world, but that doesn't mean its efficient it just means that other countries have inefficient health care systems too.

And I am a supported of raising taxes on the rich, but here's the problem. In France where the tax rate for those earning over a million euros is 75%. The president says that this will raise around 300-400 million Euros which is nothing compared to the deficits posted by western governments, When you are talking about deficits in tens of billions then a few hundred millions don't really mean much but granted its a start.

You also say that we have to make work pay, I am sorry but that just doesn't cut it, The UK has one of the highest average wages in the world and even our lower income wages are much higher than the average wage in a developed country so working in this country no matter what the pay will be worth it (hence why so many immigrants are choosing to come here rather than stay in their countries), also there is no such absolute poverty in Britain just relative poverty which means that a relatively poor family may not be able to afford some of the luxuries which the middle-income families can but can afford basic necessities (which tens of millions in the developing world don't btw) and thus have better lives than many who are in the developing world and would continue to do so even in the next few decades.
Original post by Quady
You didn't notice the biggest tax cuts on pay during this Parliament were for the poor...

Rep'd this. People just turn a blind eye and try to use the rich as scapegoats where in fact most of them worked extremely hard when they were younger to get to where they were and those people fully deserve all their wealth, and this is coming from a guy who is from a lower-income family.
Original post by DarthVador

Forget about Tax Avoidance! Welfare state is huge!

Welfare minus Pensions & Housing Benefit for over 65's = 75 Billion.
Total UK Tax Avoidance = 70 Billion.

The welfare state isn't huge, its 5 Billion more than Tax Avoidance. What about Corporate welfare? Yes that 30 Billion in Tax Credits? Wait lets do some maths.

Under 65 welfare minus Tax Credits = 45 Billion.
Tax Avoidance + Tax Credits = 100 Billion.

Shall I add the total amount which the upper class got from the tax cut too?

Tax is theft!

Neo-Liberalism. Alright then if you want to play it that way we should make it illegal for tax avoiding corporations to have access to public services, roads and other products of society which tax has contributed too.

Tax is essential to allow a state to run. We don't all want to live in the wild west where its every man for himself. Why don't you and the people you represent clear off to the south pole. There is no tax there.

British Taxes are too high!

Britain has one the lowest corporation taxes in the western world.
You mention Hong Kong like where all dumb and stupid. All I need to do is put a link to corporation taxes across the world and people will see that the majority of low tax nations are poor countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world

Cost of public services are too high!

Privatization does reduce the cost of services in the short term but in the long term prices go though the roof! The water companies and energy companies are clear examples of this.

Privatized police service. LOL! Academi operatives (Blackwater) and G4S prisons.
Whats next. Do you want every police officer to have a MP5 and a licence to kill hoody scum?

People can see though you very easy.

NHS filled with immigrant doctors.

I personally don't care what country my doctor is from. I guess your just a racist loon who cannot stand the fact that people today are uniting globally and becoming more class conscious. Skin color and nationality don't mean much now days.

Every intelligent person should have access to the financial times.

I am not a Keynesian idiot so I will pass thank you and if that makes me less intelligent in yours eyes well I would be happy to be called thicko.

I bet you think Krugman and Bernanke have it right.

Germany is individualistic

WRONG! German workers and small business management are incredibly nationalistic. They work as a collective and don't mind taking pay cuts while demand for products is low. They are more concerned about job security in the down-term.

I caught you out there didn't I.

Why should my hard earned tax money go to immigrants?

Immigration is a fundamental truth of trade within capitalism. If you want a single market prepare to be influenced by migrants.

I wonder what the Chinese will say when your walking on their roads and using their drinking water. Then again you would remind those lowly Chinese Foxconn workers to respect you because your terribly so important.

Emigrating to Hong Kong because the tax rate is lower.

Why don't you just incorporate yourself, pay tax in Luxembourg and siphon your money to Panama like everyone else does? Your not very bright are you.

Going to University equals success.

That is why we currently have thousands of unemployed graduates. Uh, what!

By the laws of natural selection the poor should be made to die off.

Okay then. Will you go jump off a cliff because you have poor emotional intelligence. I mean you don't exactly care for the sick or disabled do you?

I have no reason to lie about the things I say.

Of course everything your telling us is the truth. That is why your pretending to be a high flying city boy and educating all the youngsters about how incredibly important you are.

All arguments of the left stem not from rationality but emotions.

Emotions bah! What good are they!

CONCLUSION!!!

Narcissistic personality disorder
A person with a narcissistic personality disorder swings between seeing themselves as special and fearing they are worthless. They may act as if they have an inflated sense of their own importance and show an intense need for other people to look up to them.

Other symptoms include:

exaggerating their own achievements and abilities. YES
thinking they are entitled to be treated better than other people. YES
exploiting other people for their own personal gain. YES
lacking empathy for other people's weaknesses. YES
looking down on people they feel are ‘beneath’ them, while feeling deeply envious of people they see as being ‘above’ them. YES

Guys we have a Sociopath on this forum. Please be aware of that.

He is telling lies for attention.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Davij038

Having worked in the care sector for three years, I don not see people with valid disabilities as being "benefit scroungers". I mean npeople that are capable of working but who choose not to. And there is some brainless liberal agenda at play which doesn't beleive these people exist, having lived in a council area for five years I assure they do.

I often get mad with people who don't understand people with Autism, Aspergers Syndrome, Personality Disorders and Schizophrenia. These disabled people will most certainly struggle with any mundane job.

Your right they can work but they are 75% slower than a normal person.

If we had nationalized industry these people would have a place to work but private corporations are all about profit. Disabled people cannot compete in a dog eat dog world. In most cases disabled workers are more likely to be disciplined in the workplace though no fault of their own. I have seen disabled people bullied, shouted at and mocked because they couldn't meet targets being set. Most private corporations only take on disabled workers to get government assistance and will literally bully disabled workers like mad. In fact some employers enjoy it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Of course they are. Fvcking dole spongers. Drain on your money and mine.
Original post by honeywhite
Of course they are. Fvcking dole spongers. Drain on your money and mine.

Do you know total amount spent on working age welfare & child benefit is similar to the corporate welfare for business in terms of tax cuts and tax avoidance?
Reply 89
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Do you know total amount spent on working age welfare & child benefit is similar to the corporate welfare for business in terms of tax cuts and tax avoidance?

Yes, but corporations do something useful. Dole spongers sit on street corners and shoot heroin and sell their flesh.
Yes, but corporations do something useful. Dole spongers sit on street corners and shoot heroin and sell their flesh.

In your opinion do 51%+ people in the following groups use heroin.

1. People born with their disabilities.
2. People who got their disability as result of a illness or accident.
3. Single mothers who became vulnerable since their partners left them.
4. Unemployed people because they where sacked from their jobs.
5. Orphans who have no where to live once they hit 18.
6. Working people who can only get 16 hours work a week.

Please tell me which groups are heroin users?
Reply 91
In your opinion do 51%+ people in the following groups use heroin.

1. People born with their disabilities.
2. People who got their disability as result of a illness or accident.
3. Single mothers who became vulnerable since their partners left them.
4. Unemployed people because they where sacked from their jobs.
5. Orphans who have no where to live once they hit 18.
6. Working people who can only get 16 hours work a week.

Please tell me which groups are heroin users?

I did not say people on the dole are to blame. I said dole SPONGERS---that is, people who commit benefits fraud or who have come to the UK specifically seeking benefits or those who do not WISH to work---are to blame.
I did not say people on the dole are to blame. I said dole SPONGERS---that is, people who commit benefits fraud or who have come to the UK specifically seeking benefits or those who do not WISH to work---are to blame.

So tell me ....
Who are these dole spongers?
Who are these people who don't want to work?
You're an idiot if you think benefit scroungers are doing major damage to the UK. I bet you think immigrants are taking all our jobs too?
Reply 94
Original post by DarthVador
I have no reason to lie about the things I say. I am a rational economic liberal, and, unfortunately, all the arguments of the left stem not from rationality but from pure unadulterated emotion and victim complex.

You want a source about the high fertility rates of immigrants?
Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_demographics#Social_issues
And here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23618487
Only around 64% of births in 2005 in England and Wales were recorded as White British, you know, the original inhabitants of the country. It's probably down to around 50% by now.

Yes race is an issue and it will always be an issue in every country where different races are forced to co-exist, which inevitably leads to conflict.
Let's look at some past multicultural empires, the Roman empire, the Austro-Hungarian empire, the USSR, the Mongol Empire, the Macedonian Empire, Yugoslavia... etc.
They all ended up collapsing into civil wars once all the ethnic groups within them fought for supremacy or independence.

You can keep saying that the rich pay too little taxes but the heaviest tax burden is on the middle class. Middle class people in the UK and France pay 35-40% of their income in taxes. When poor scum call for higher taxes on the rich, it inevitably trickles down mainly onto the middle class because the rich can simply jet off to another country.

No more taxes, no more welfare, no more of my money feeding 12 Pakistani babies who will grow up screaming Allahu Ahkbar to the few remaining native Brits left on the island.

I didn't say you were lying. I think you're mistaken and have been misled, and your claims are fuelled by discrimination and stereotype. I think you'll find that it's your arguments that stem from "unadulterated emotion", not mine - all as it takes is to compare my points which for the most part are supported with objective facts and compare them to your ad hominem slurs and unsupported generalisations.

And I didn't ask for a source about the high fertility rate of ethnic groups; I asked for a sources regarding 12 child families and your comment that some ethnic groups average "7 children". I'm not stupid, I know full well that people of an Asian ethnicity have larger families than White British.

And I think you'll find that not once have I said that the rich pay too little tax. I do believe they should pay more tax, but that's the first time I've said it on this forum - don't try and pretend I've said things to try and strengthen your argument. If you could be bothered to read the ONS report I linked you earlier, I think you'll find that it's not just the middle class who pay between 31% and 35% - almost every income decile in this country pays between that, including the rich. The poorest 10% paid the highest rate of 45%. So that blows your argument completely out of the water.
Reply 95
So tell me ....
Who are these dole spongers?
Who are these people who don't want to work?

Well, there's that family of Romanian Gypsies mentioned in the Daily Fail, and then there's half of Peckham.
Well, there's that family of Romanian Gypsies mentioned in the Daily Fail, and then there's half of Peckham.

I wouldn't listen to all the propaganda. It is just convenient information that has very little truth. What you need to do is start reaching out to the unemployed, disabled and working poor to get an idea of what the real issues are. If you just make mindless accusations then your going to get fierce resistance.

If you look at official government statistics your find that immigrants hardly claim any benefits. They won't travel miles and leave their families to have 6 months of hand outs. They actually tend to have it a lot better in their home countries because rent and energy are a lot cheaper. Britain is expensive hell to live in. A lot of my family have left the UK to live else where in Europe because the cost of living is a lot cheaper.

I have Spanish & African cousins. They could easily come to the UK and claim benefits but the truth is they would rather stay at home because of things like food poverty in the UK.

I guess your right about Peckham. You do get loads of fraudsters around there. But instead of directing your hatred against genuine claimants what you should do is get your camera out and film people who are breaking the law. Perhaps make a campaign. Stop all kinds of fraud and support genuine benefit claimants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Burridge

And I think you'll find that not once have I said that the rich pay too little tax. I do believe they should pay more tax, but that's the first time I've said it on this forum - don't try and pretend I've said things to try and strengthen your argument. If you could be bothered to read the ONS report I linked you earlier, I think you'll find that it's not just the middle class who pay between 31% and 35% - almost every income decile in this country pays between that, including the rich. The poorest 10% paid the highest rate of 45%. So that blows your argument completely out of the water.

I really like your arguments against this guy. Care to shed some personal info like age, gender, location and political views?
Reply 98
Nope, its the banks and the whole banking system. Bring back gold backed currency and you will see things improving.
Original post by warrior-1
Nope, its the banks and the whole banking system. Bring back gold backed currency and you will see things improving.

I thought the world was full of Keynesian's. You restored my faith in humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending