The Student Room Group

Which is better?

Hi guys!

Need a help!
I am applying for Biomedical science course. Got offers : Leeds, King College and St George Medical School of London.

I like all of them, cannot make a decision for firm choice((

Can anybody tell me which is better for career?

Thank you a lot!
Original post by Nattie1
Hi guys!

Need a help!
I am applying for Biomedical science course. Got offers : Leeds, King College and St George Medical School of London.

Thank you a lot!

I haven't heard of St. George, but I don't live in the UK. Kings is a very good school, though I don't know if they're well known for science. I'm applying to leeds this year, so I'm partial to them. Have you visited them all? What about comparing modules? I also like reading reviews on whatuni. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Nattie1
Hi guys!

Need a help!

Thank you a lot!

Leeds is actually the best university for Medical courses, then King's, and St. George. If you look at the general reputation, however, King's is by far the best!
Reply 3
King's
The 'career' is up to you. You don't leave any Uni with a guarantee of a job or any certainty of a better career (whatever that means) than anyone leaving any other Uni. Especially for something as individual as medicine.

The decision making for Firm/Insurance is hard but only you can make this decision. Whatever you feel is important won't be the same as anyone else. You have to weigh up the things that are important to you. Where will you feel most comfortable, where will be expensive/cheaper to live for a long medical training, etc.

Remember, anyone else offering an opinion here will be basing that on their experience of the only Uni they know anything about (the one they are at) OR they are 17 and have never been to University at all.

Some advice here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Original post by Hanover
Leeds is actually the best university for Medical courses, then King's, and St. George. If you look at the general reputation, however, King's is by far the best!

Regurgitating the 'league tables' again?
Biomedicine courses can differ a lot. Some are more voccational, focusing on preparing you for specific careers in the NHS, whilst others are more generally accademic, leading on to a wider range of jobs in industry/research. You should look carefully at the course content, and see how the courses relate to what you want to study and do for a career.

Do you have the oppourtunity to go to an applicant day at any of the universities? This may help you decide and give you more details about what you'll study on each course.

I would say in biological sciences, the university reputation matters less than your overall degree classification- a 1st or a 2:1 from a lower ranked university will often give you more oppourtunities in research (as an example) than a 3rd from a higher ranked one. You'll probably do best at a university where you enjoy the course, and like the location. So, basically, chose the one you like the most.
Original post by ageshallnot
Regurgitating the 'league tables' again?

I do keep wondering who it is perpetuating this nonsense about 'reputation' and that you can choose a Uni just by reading a newspaper League Table - is it teachers? parents? the media?
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
I do keep wondering who it is perpetuating this nonsense about 'reputation' and that you can choose a Uni just by reading a newspaper League Table - is it teachers? parents? the media?

When I was at school some of the teachers actually recommended we looked at league tables and based our decisions on that....

:sigh:

I think it's a combination of all the people you have suggested.

It's a sign of intellectual laziness that affects all of the above to some extent, but applicants including some regular TSR contributors are equally to blame for repeating the myth uncritically.

And the League Tables' equally unattractive sibling is the Russell Group mantra...
Reply 10
Original post by Nattie1
Hi guys!

Need a help!

Thank you a lot!

You have plenty of time to make your firm choice, so do not make a rushed decision right now. It's amazing how many people we get each year coming back months later saying they made the wrong decision and want to swap their firm.

Carefully look over the course content. You'll find they may differ quite a bit, and that some will cater to your interests and personal ambitions better than others. If you can, visit the universities as well. This gives you a much better feel of the place where you could potentially be spending the next few years of your life. You may also be able to talk to staff and students there.

Choosing a university is a very personal decision, and it's important you go somewhere that you will feel happy and comfortable, as you are likely to perform much better.
Reply 11
Thank you all for reply!

As one of those three, I would say it's parents and the media. But then, I would, wouldn't I? I certainly can claim to work in a careers department that doesn't do this, but can't speak for other schools. I worry most about the self-perpetuating nature of TSR in this respect, where the blind and inexperienced lead the blind and deaf. I think it's a measure of insecurity that they ask these questions, which is only to be expected when the cost is high and the importance equally so. Unfortunately, it brings out what I think of as the pub football expert tendency, where people seem to latch onto a university to support like a football team and justify their allegiance by reference to statistics which have no relevance to how the match actually feels when you are there, like boring old men in pubs.
Nicely put CLR.
Of course I never intended to include you in the general typology of 'teachers'!

PS. Most recent rubbish I heard from a school was that EBac was now 'compulsory' for entrance to 'all Universities'. Why are they telling parents this? Because the % of EBac is now counted in school League Tables so they are pretending Unis want it to increase the take up at their school. They feed the same rhubarb to subject teachers who repeat it to the kids etc.
Nicely put CLR.
Of course I never intended to include you in the general typology of 'teachers'!

PS. Most recent rubbish I heard from a school was that EBac was now 'compulsory' for entrance to 'all Universities'. Why are they telling parents this? Because the % of EBac is now counted in school League Tables so they are pretending Unis want it to increase the take up at their school. They feed the same rhubarb to subject teachers who repeat it to the kids etc.

Aww, lamb! I know you wouldn't!

I'm afraid I can't excuse schools from doing such bad things, except to say that in their defence, such intolerable pressure is brought to bear on state schools that finding a sneaky way round is the only way to survive.
I feel like league tables are a okay reference point, especially when you first start researching universities. But I doubt a future employer is going to say "Oh you went to so and so? Well that year they were number 50, so we don't want you."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
I feel like league tables are a okay reference point, especially when you first start researching universities. But I doubt a future employer is going to say "Oh you went to so and so? Well that year they were number 50, so we don't want you."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. Anyone determined to use league tables to choose their universities really needs the tables for the year they will leave, not the year they enter, and contrary to popular thought on TSR, employers don't memorise the tables like those sad individuals who can reel off cup winners from the last 150 years at the drop of a hat.
Original post by Nattie1
Hi guys!

Need a help!

Thank you a lot!

The post below is really good advice
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Biomedicine courses can differ a lot. Some are more voccational, focusing on preparing you for specific careers in the NHS, whilst others are more generally accademic, leading on to a wider range of jobs in industry/research. You should look carefully at the course content, and see how the courses relate to what you want to study and do for a career.

Do you have the oppourtunity to go to an applicant day at any of the universities? This may help you decide and give you more details about what you'll study on each course.

I would say in biological sciences, the university reputation matters less than your overall degree classification- a 1st or a 2:1 from a lower ranked university will often give you more oppourtunities in research (as an example) than a 3rd from a higher ranked one. You'll probably do best at a university where you enjoy the course, and like the location. So, basically, chose the one you like the most.

You might also want to have a look at unistats for your choices - they wont answer your question but they might help you ask the right questions when you go to applicant days.

Leeds ( can't find biomed at leeds: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/Faculty_of_Biological_Sciences/201415/UG ), King College and St George Medical School of London

St Georges has accreditation which might be something that is important for your future career (but that depends on what you want to do) plus you'll have a different uni experience studying at KCL or St Georges in London than you would in Leeds. Don't forget if you're unhappy or unsettled in a city it will have an affect on your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending