The Student Room Group

Which Route to Psychology?

Good morning all,

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

I am a 30 year old Retail Manager who has been contemplating a change in career to pursue my dream of working with people as a psychologist, psychotherapist or clinical psychologist.

Due to my current financial circumstances I am probably unable to attend an Access course this year, and would be looking at an application in 2015.

My question is:

Should I wait, complete my access course, attend a red brick university and pursue that path? Or should I take up an OU psychology degree this year to get the ball rolling earlier? Can I attend a post grad course with an OU degree?

Thank you for reading my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as your degree is accredited by the BPS (which I reckon the OU one would be), then it should be fine. However, be aware that for clinical psychology in particular it is a long and competitive route - you need a year or two at least of related work experience, followed by the 3 year full-time doctorate. There isn't really a job of 'psychologist' - there are just several types. What people typically think of as 'psychologists' are actually clinical psychologists. The closest would be an academic in a psychology department.

Check the BPS for more advice on the routes into the different areas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest