The Student Room Group

Cv

Have just returned from a training day run but Q group (very useful, would definately recommend it) and we were given a cv talk. We were advised to essentially write a separate cv for every job we applied for and research the companies thoroughly before even applying. Is this the norm? It just seemed a bit excessive to me. I would mean putting in the sort ofd time I woudn't have otherwise put in until I'd been offered an intyerview.
Reply 1
ditzy blonde
Have just returned from a training day run but Q group (very useful, would definately recommend it) and we were given a cv talk. We were advised to essentially write a separate cv for every job we applied for and research the companies thoroughly before even applying. Is this the norm? It just seemed a bit excessive to me. I would mean putting in the sort ofd time I woudn't have otherwise put in until I'd been offered an intyerview.

tailor your CV to each position..
Reply 2
It is kinda right, there are perhaps just a few alterations you could make if the jobs are different, i.e. I have recently applied for visual merchandising jobs, for which the emphasis is my interior design background, but I have also applied for Web design jobs, where computer skills are emphasised. You may wish to add some interests which are more suited to a particular position. You may also have many references, so you can change who supplies them.

As for researching the company/position. It is a good idea to get a strong knowledge of what they are looking for so you can push those qualities in your cv and covering letter.

If you get invited to an interview, it is vital (as I found out to my misfortune) to research everything you can find about the company, and the position. Otherwise you could get stumped on a question they would need you to answer for that particular positiion. This is particularly important in a competitive field, like Design.

Researching will also make you sure about the position, and that it is what you really want. :wink:
Reply 3
Thanks, I suppose it makes sense, pushing the qualities required. I think the woman yesterday made it sound a lot harder than it actually is, and scared me a lot!

Latest

Trending

Trending