The Student Room Group

Feminism. Help me decide whether these women are joking or not

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the ideology is...

"Women should be equal to men unless it is disadvantageous, in which case women should be treated differently to men."

Basically, it is about gaining an advantage/superiority, not equality. Thankfully most people are not like this, you get extreme views in any movement.

I would probably say they're not joking, as I'm guessing the background behind her makes this some sort of small group meeting/convention, probably a strongly feminist one, to the extent some members will genuinely hold such views.
Reply 2
Women want equality, but only when it suits them.
That is an odd one. I also remember how annoyed a lot of feminists got when car insurance was made equal as well. :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by ehiamour
That is an odd one. I also remember how annoyed a lot of feminists got when car insurance was made equal as well. :redface:

They get annoyed by anything where being "equal" also means being disadvantaged to them
Original post by S-man10
They get annoyed by anything where being "equal" also means being disadvantaged to them

We're only human :smile:
Sigh, the feminist bashing has started. Those two women are idiots. No, not all feminists believe that. In fact if you believe that you're not really a feminist. Feminists want equality
Reply 7
We're only human :smile:

So, really many "feminists" (does not represent feminism really) in that regard are self interested and unpleasant. In regards to the OP, the "women" in that picture are a low form of filth indeed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Sigh, the feminist bashing has started. Those two women are idiots. No, not all feminists believe that. In fact if you believe that you're not really a feminist. Feminists want equality

I am with you on this.
They are just using the banner of "Feminism" to suit their own ends.

"Feminism" used to be a good movement, fighting for women's rights which they did not have - back then this country really was a biased place and feminists did a lot to fight for equality. Now though, it's ridiculous - this second-wave or third-wave feminism, or whatever you want to call it, is just clamouring for women's rights in order to bring about a biased society towards women, rather than equality.
Original post by Darkseid
I am with you on this.

Thanks :smile: This is akin to getting a picture of Radical Islamists and everyone saying LOOK! I KNEW MUSLIMS WERE EVIL! VIOLENT BASTARDS! Extremists of every ideology are unpleasant, but the majority of people are normal, moderate, perfectly nice

Eh one post said women, so that's obviously a generalization, but I think most people bash it in the context of bashing extreme "feminists".

Anyhow it's the talk of the town at the moment, you have your Feminist bashing, you have your Islam bashing, you makes your pick and you takes your choice.
So, really many "feminists" (does not represent feminism really) in that regard are self interested and unpleasant. In regards to the OP, the "women" in that picture are a low form of filth indeed.

I don't know why many feminists are, I only know what type of feminist I am. I just meant that it is normal to be affronted when something disadvantageous happens to you.
Original post by joey11223
Eh one post said women, so that's obviously a generalization, but I think most people bash it in the context of bashing extreme "feminists".

Anyhow it's the talk of the town at the moment, you have your Feminist bashing, you have your Islam bashing, you makes your pick and you takes your choice.

Yeah but extreme feminists don't define feminism. If it helps, I hate extremists as much as anyone else, even when they share my ideology, because they make us look like idiots..
Original post by Bassetts
Women want equality, but only when it suits them.

True. I'm female and I can't stand anything to do with 'feminism' anymore, it's way out of hand. People seem to think 'feminism' equates to man-bashing and it's not even about equality anymore, just getting more than what men have.

That being said I do think many people are 'feminist' in that they want equality, myself included. But if asked am I feminist, I rarely answer positively anymore because of the reputation certain women are bringing the rest of us.
Reply 15
I don't know why many feminists are, I only know what type of feminist I am. I just meant that it is normal to be affronted when something disadvantageous happens to you.

So then it was say normal for South Africans to be affronted when aparthied ended?
Reply 16
Except when they get special treatment for being a women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Coffinman
Except when they get special treatment for being a women.

Err no we don't want special treatment for being a woman. In fact that's what most of us are against.
So then it was say normal for South Africans to be affronted when aparthied ended?

:lolwut: ....
Yeah but extreme feminists don't define feminism. If it helps, I hate extremists as much as anyone else, even when they share my ideology, because they make us look like idiots..

Yeah I appreciate that, I suppose really although I get the point is there are more sexist issues in life against women, there are some where men are worse off in some situations (rights to kids, being a victim of domestic violence etc). So since people want equality, it might be better to fly the flag of being an equalitist or something, but I suppose it doesn't have the same clout to it that feminism has as a movement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending