The Student Room Group

is it just my sixth form that does this?

I'm at a sixth form in the North of England, its not got a school so its just a sixth form college offering A-levels and BTECs/or a combination of the two.

(This is only aimed at my subjects i don't really know if the other subjects do it differently, i shouldn't think they would do). So in biology and chemistry and history we get given a booklet for each topic e.g. Alcohols, Transport in Plants, Opposition to Augustus. Then we work through that and talk through it in lessons, using booklets as the sole revision aid. We then have "synoptic tests"which have been introduced now there's no January modules So this is a weekly test where it covers a little bit of all that we've done since september. Also my college's policy is that if you don't get your minimum target grade then you have to do a resit on the test at lunch or whenever. Then they also set homework as standard and encourage 4 hours per week per lesson extra consolidation. We now have a formal mocks week after half term. Then we have full end of topic tests.

Im asking this as I've seen a few posts about how in lessons you just make notes and you revise from them, that would scare me! I love having everything in a concise booklet with examples worked out so i know they're right and can learn from them.

Anyone else's college do this? Would be interesting to see how each school is different! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by seanbolton94
I'm at a sixth form in the North of England, its not got a school so its just a sixth form college offering A-levels and BTECs/or a combination of the two.

(This is only aimed at my subjects i don't really know if the other subjects do it differently, i shouldn't think they would do). So in biology and chemistry and history we get given a booklet for each topic e.g. Alcohols, Transport in Plants, Opposition to Augustus. Then we work through that and talk through it in lessons, using booklets as the sole revision aid. We then have "synoptic tests"which have been introduced now there's no January modules So this is a weekly test where it covers a little bit of all that we've done since september. Also my college's policy is that if you don't get your minimum target grade then you have to do a resit on the test at lunch or whenever. Then they also set homework as standard and encourage 4 hours per week per lesson extra consolidation. We now have a formal mocks week after half term. Then we have full end of topic tests.

Im asking this as I've seen a few posts about how in lessons you just make notes and you revise from them, that would scare me! I love having everything in a concise booklet with examples worked out so i know they're right and can learn from them.

Anyone else's college do this? Would be interesting to see how each school is different! :smile:

I'm confused as to what the question is

Quick Reply

Latest