The Student Room Group

Is 'Europe' in Asia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Back To School
Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.

Geographically continents need not be based on plate-tectonics but simply on the arbitrary distinction between geographic boundaries, and given that we clearly share a different history to Asia a very good one.
Original post by Psyk
I don't see why that tectonic plate 'belongs' to Asia and not Europe. The terms Asia and Europe existed before people really knew anything about tectonic plates. So Asia doesn't have 'it's own' tectonic plate, it's the Eurasian plate.

So no, Europe is not in Asia. It's in Eurasia. If you are going to consider them the same continent (which does make sense, and in fact they do in many countries), then Eurasia is the accepted name rather than saying Europe is part of Asia.

That's just part of the definition though, it also includes "land being separated by ocean", the other part was probably introduced into the definition after we had advanced.

So I think the real question is, did people use the term Europe and Asia before people knew that a continent is a place that has its land separated by the ocean?

And are modern day European countries such as germany, france and russia really in Asia?
Reply 22
That's just part of the definition though, it also includes "land being separated by ocean", the other part was probably introduced into the definition after we had advanced.

So I think the real question is, did people use the term Europe and Asia before people knew that a continent is a place that has its land separated by the ocean?

And are modern day European countries such as germany, france and russia really in Asia?

I think the concepts of 'Asia' and 'Europe' existed before people had put much thought into what a continent is. Which is why the commonly accepted conventions for continents are inconsistent now (at least in the English speaking world).

I accept that it makes sense to say Europe isn't a continent. If you were going to come up with a consistent and objective definition of a continent, it certainly wouldn't count. In many countries they actually don't consider Europe a continent for this reason. However, they don't consider Asia a continent either. Eurasia is the commonly accepted term for the landmass that includes both Asia and Europe.

I see what you're getting at, but that landmass that contains both China and France already has a name, Eurasia. No one calls the whole thing Asia. So no, Germany and France are not really in Asia. They are in Europe which is a peninsula which is a part of a continent called Eurasia.
Original post by Psyk
I think the concepts of 'Asia' and 'Europe' existed before people had put much thought into what a continent is. Which is why the commonly accepted conventions for continents are inconsistent now (at least in the English speaking world).

I accept that it makes sense to say Europe isn't a continent. If you were going to come up with a consistent and objective definition of a continent, it certainly wouldn't count. In many countries they actually don't consider Europe a continent for this reason. However, they don't consider Asia a continent either. Eurasia is the commonly accepted term for the landmass that includes both Asia and Europe.

I see what you're getting at, but that landmass that contains both China and France already has a name, Eurasia. No one calls the whole thing Asia. So no, Germany and France are not really in Asia. They are in Europe which is a peninsula which is a part of a continent called Eurasia.

Thanks mate, nice explanation. Its just to me, the only difference I can see be 'Europeans' and 'Asians', is a cultural one. I think it really is the same continent though, whatever you want to call it, Asia/Europe/Eurasia...
Reply 24
Thanks mate, nice explanation. Its just to me, the only difference I can see be 'Europeans' and 'Asians', is a cultural one. I think it really is the same continent though, whatever you want to call it, Asia/Europe/Eurasia...

Yeah, it is definitely a cultural distinction. I agree it makes more sense to consider them part of the same continent.
Europe is a mental construct, it is an idea and an abstraction. Its what you make it since it is only a physical entity because we deem it to be so.
Original post by Psyk
Yeah, it is definitely a cultural distinction. I agree it makes more sense to consider them part of the same continent.

Do you think Arabia should have its own continent as well? Since they are culturally different from Asians just like Europeans are?
Reply 27
Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.

Classic social justice warrior. ITS ALL DA WHITE MAN AND HIS JEW MASTERS FAULT

I think to be honest they just occurred naturally. Tell me that Russians/Poles/Germans Serbs/Croats Greeks/Turks Irish/British have all been one big unified group of white people
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Do you think Arabia should have its own continent as well? Since they are culturally different from Asians just like Europeans are?

Arabs are white, and really east and south asia should be considered different
Original post by mrderppp
Arabs are white, and really east and south asia should be considered different

If Arabs are white, why are some of their countries in Asia and not in European continent?
Reply 30
If Arabs are white, why are some of their countries in Asia and not in European continent?

Same reason 'white countries' such as argentina, the united states, canada, and aus/nz aren't either. Europes borders are more to do with the historical boundary of islam and Christianity, not race
Same reason 'white countries' such as argentina, the united states, canada, and aus/nz aren't either. Europes borders are more to do with the historical boundary of islam and Christianity, not race

But Canada and the US have North America. Australia has Australia... Why Can't Arabs have Arabia? They even have their own tectonic plate...
Reply 32
But Canada and the US have North America. Australia has Australia... Why Can't Arabs have Arabia? They even have their own tectonic plate...

Arabia isn't a continent, its a peninsula, like Scandinavia, Italy, Iberia etc
Reply 33
A continent can be both geographical and socio-historical (and indeed, both simultaneously). Technically mainland Europe, Asia and Africa are one gigantic landmass and should be treated as one continent if we stick to the 'separated by an ocean' rule, but this ignores the fact that continents are also communities of nations centered around a particular area of land. In this latter sense, Europe and Asia are two distinct continents but only because we subjectively recognise them as such.

tl;dr: Culturally and historically, Europe is a continent. Geographically, it's a more murky picture but that doesn't mean that we're 'in Asia'.
Arabia isn't a continent, its a peninsula, like Scandinavia, Italy, Iberia etc

Exactly... but it should be a continent if you Europe can be, that's the point.
Reply 35
Exactly... but it should be a continent if you Europe can be, that's the point.

So should Italy, Iberia and Scandinavia too?
Reply 36
Original post by KICHMYARSE
i dont know the technicalities and dont want to, but its nice to know that you can actually reach the capital of south korea from spain or portugal by train.

You could theoretically, though you would have to find a way to travel through North Korea in order to achieve this. If you've already travelled to the NK border by train from Lisbon though, international geopolitics probably wouldn't stop you.
So should Italy, Iberia and Scandinavia too?

If they wish to be, then yes. Arabs are clearly culturally different from Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, the Chinese etc, just like Europeans are. If Europe can be a continent, Arabia should also be one.
Reply 38
If they wish to be, then yes. Arabs are clearly culturally different from Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, the Chinese etc, just like Europeans are. If Europe can be a continent, Arabia should also be one.

Arabs are one ethnicity of people. Europe is made up of many. An Albanian is clearly culturally different to a Breton in Northern France, who is nothing like a Slav in Russia, but they are all considered European too.
Arabs are one ethnicity of people. Europe is made up of many. An Albanian is clearly culturally different to a Breton in Northern France, who is nothing like a Slav in Russia, but they are all considered European too.

Every country has a slightly different culture, Albanians share a similar culture with other Eastern Europeans. But there are 22 Arab countries in the world, with very similar culture.

Quick Reply

Latest