The Student Room Group

Is prestige important?

Hello!
I've had an offers to study maths and economics from York and Bristol and I can't decide between them.

I know that Bristol is regarded higher for both maths and economics than York and is more prestigious. Most adults with important jobs I have talked to have all said that I should choose Bristol.

However I'm still swaying towards York because it's a campus uni and has a great college system and accommodation, whereas Bristol is more spread out and might be harder to make friends in.
(I'm an international student so location doesn't matter)

Would it be silly to choose York over Bristol?
I don't want to compromise my chances of getting a good job after uni but I also want to have a great time there.
Reply 1
Original post by frenchoib
Hello!
I've had an offers to study maths and economics from York and Bristol and I can't decide between them.

I know that Bristol is regarded higher for both maths and economics than York and is more prestigious. Most adults with important jobs I have talked to have all said that I should choose Bristol.

However I'm still swaying towards York because it's a campus uni and has a great college system and accommodation, whereas Bristol is more spread out and might be harder to make friends in.
(I'm an international student so location doesn't matter)

Would it be silly to choose York over Bristol?
I don't want to compromise my chances of getting a good job after uni but I also want to have a great time there.

visit them both with open mind. see if one just feels right.

look at the course content.

But and the days' end ur choice
the difference in 'perceived' prestige is so small that it is a non-issue. prefer york? go to york.

Quick Reply

Latest