The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

American...how much do you ACTUALLY study?

I'm from the US, when I was looking at Edinburgh's course descriptions, the said for each course, there is around 150 hours of self taught study time. Is it actually that much? How does everyone deal with it?
Reply 1
I deal with it by doing what's relevant, everyone's different and everyone spends different amounts of time on everything: I know lots of people who coast through without doing much and I know others who need to do a good hour or two a night. A lot of it depends on your course, whether you're doing something completely new or not - I'm doing Russian 1a as my outside course and do nowhere near enough as much work as I should, but I get by, albeit only just (probably shy of a 2:1 for this semester). I know medics or vets who honestly do spent a lot of time on their studies etc.

For the record I'm a first year undergraduate so I hope this answered your question!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I'm from the US and I spend at least 40 hours a week working outside of class, I'm a 4th year MA Theology student.
Original post by sophia95
I'm from the US, when I was looking at Edinburgh's course descriptions, the said for each course, there is around 150 hours of self taught study time. Is it actually that much? How does everyone deal with it?

150 hours a semester?
It depends upon the subject and your proficiency for it to be honest, but when I was at Aberdeen they said that for chemistry it is roughly 10 hours per credit (that includes lectures and labs) so you would be 1200 hours of work if you were doing all science. However, I believe that different programmes, e.g., law, take up even more time per credit.

Like I say though, it really depends upon you and what they expect from you.
Reply 5
thanks!!
Reply 6
Again, as people said, it depends on your course, and what year you're in. I studied a lot more in 3rd year & this year than I did in the first two. In 1st & 2nd, I was getting by, getting mostly Bs without putting much reading time in. This year (4th) I only have 4 taught hours a week, but spend several hours a day doing readings and prep notes for my classes, as well as working on my dissertation. I'm an Ancient History student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending