The Student Room Group

What exercises should I include in my boxing training?

On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sunday's, I work on my strength and explosive speed for boxing.

I used to do pull ups with shadow boxing with resistance bands right after. But want to add more to my training.

So far, ive included.

Squat jumps
Calf raises

What else should I add?
I know i shouldn't be lifting weights so I'm not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iWoof
On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sunday's, I work on my strength and explosive speed for boxing.

I used to do pull ups with shadow boxing with resistance bands right after. But want to add more to my training.

So far, ive included.

Squat jumps
Calf raises

What else should I add?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am not sure but can i ask for you for some advise to be a boxer? what is the typical body fat percentage for a boxer (also whats your?) and what do you think is the best body fat percentage for a boxer?

as i think after i get the right body fat percentage, a strong back and a bog chest i have a good beginner body for a boxer (as the rest of my body is good)
Reply 2
Fulll bodywork out with emphasis on your back. In boxing there are a lot of repetitive movements which places great emphasis on an exclusive set of muscles.
Try working on the muscles that are not worked as hard, to reduce the chances of muscle imbalance development.
Reply 3
skipping rope exercises! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by mrdetermination
i am not sure but can i ask for you for some advise to be a boxer? what is the typical body fat percentage for a boxer (also whats your?) and what do you think is the best body fat percentage for a boxer?

as i think after i get the right body fat percentage, a strong back and a bog chest i have a good beginner body for a boxer (as the rest of my body is good)

Depends in your height tbh.
I'm tall for my weight, and end up fighting smaller fighters. So I have low body fat (probably less than 5%) in order to be quick and to prevent shorter fighters from getting inside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iWoof
So I have low body fat (probably less than 5%) in order to be quick and to prevent shorter fighters from getting inside.

Sorry, but no you don't.

No one can sustain BF that low, professional bodybuilders only go down as low as ~3/4% for a comp IIRC, as 3-5% of your body fat is essential (besides, your diet would have to be perfect). Around 8% is about as low as you can sustain for long periods of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Why shouldnt you be lifting weights?

Edit: if someone replies weights make you slower the only thing i can suggest to you is go and play with traffic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Appeal to reason
Sorry, but no you don't.

No one can sustain BF that low, professional bodybuilders only go down as low as ~3/4% for a comp IIRC, as 3-5% of your body fat is essential (besides, your diet would have to be perfect). Around 8% is about as low as you can sustain for long periods of time.

Agreed.
Even then your level of diet (or even drug management) needs to be professional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrdetermination

If you wanna box, the first thing you should do is get down to a boxing club. You do not need a specific body to be a boxer. You will want to be as lean as possible so that you can get into the lowest weight class possible for your height, but that will come with training rather than before training.

OP, olympic lifts will be best for explosive power and strength; Snatch, clean, jerk. Supplement those with a lot of plyos but I'm guessing you already do those as part of your training. (burpees, box jumps/squat jumps, plyo-pushups, etc)
Original post by Nvmthename
Why shouldnt you be lifting weights?

Edit: if someone replies weights make you slower the only thing i can suggest to you is go and play with traffic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why is that?
Lifting weights builds muscle, a lot of muscle makes you slow(er). An example (cba searching the web for solid evidence), Bruce Lee decided to lose ~30lbs of muscle as he said they slowed him down to much. I very much doubt you're more knowledgeable then Bruce Lee.

Original post by iWoof

So far, ive included.

Squat jumps
Calf raises

What else should I add?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recommend you get a speed rope and start skipping! Also, add explosive push ups to your workout.
(edited 10 years ago)
Skipping, body weight circuits, running, rowing, body weight circuits, weight training skipping, body weight circuits, running, body weight circuits, circuits, circuits, circuits... you get the idea.

Basically muscular endurance training, weights with the odd power training thrown in. This will basically make you invincible.

Go down to your local boxing gym. They know best. Period.
(edited 10 years ago)
sparring and more sparring, if your not sparring, your training, not boxing.
Original post by goldenfish
why is that?
Lifting weights builds muscle, a lot of muscle makes you slow(er). An example (cba searching the web for solid evidence), Bruce Lee decided to lose ~30lbs of muscle as he said they slowed him down to much. I very much doubt you're more knowledgeable then Bruce Lee.

I recommend you get a speed rope and start skipping! Also, add explosive push ups to your workout.

Seriously, what are you talking about.

Bruce lee was a fanatic weightlifter. When he injured himself, he did so doing very heavy good mornings. Ate ate high protein meals, increasing protein to cope with the amount of strength training he was doing.

Lifting weights is a vital part of boxing and martial arts, in terms of strengthening the body and enabling the muscles to cope endurance wise. Now that doesn't mean you do bicep curls that have no relevance at all.
Original post by hurricaneee
Seriously, what are you talking about.

Bruce lee was a fanatic weightlifter. When he injured himself, he did so doing very heavy good mornings. Ate ate high protein meals, increasing protein to cope with the amount of strength training he was doing.

Lifting weights is a vital part of boxing and martial arts, in terms of strengthening the body and enabling the muscles to cope endurance wise. Now that doesn't mean you do bicep curls that have no relevance at all.

I never said he didn't lift weights, I know he did. But it doesn't make my statement any less true.
Bruce lee never attempted to loose 30 pounds of muscle. bruce lee didnt even weight 10 stone.
Original post by hurricaneee
Bruce lee never attempted to loose 30 pounds of muscle. bruce lee didnt even weight 10 stone.

He weighed ~70kg for most of his career. Early on, he used to be extremely muscular and closer to a body-builder type body then to the lean that he's known for and weighed around 85/90kg.
He lost decided to lose around 15kg of muscle to speed his movements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He weighed ~70kg for most of his career. Early on, he used to be extremely muscular and closer to a body-builder type body then to the lean that he's known for and weighed around 85/90kg.
He lost decided to lose around 15kg of muscle to speed his movements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was never at the weight of a light heavyweight/ cruiser weight boxer. Please stop talking crap.
why is that?

First of all, Bruce Lee was trained in the style of Wu Ti Chi Chuan, a style based on passive defence and deflection; you do not need power or strength for this style as your aim is not to take down the opponent but to render them useless passively.
He had all that bulk for hollywood and lost a majority of it through injury.

Gg kid.

Also off the top of my head the three fastest combo punchers i know have power, sugar ray leonard, floyd patterson and pac man; all of which lift weights and gained mass because speed isnt everything, and i highly doubt the op is even half as quick as the boxers and has no where near the strength because he doesnt want to become slow.
I remember reading somewhere tyson has a 180/190kg bench press beyond 1rm, with his inside style and ability to land a haymaker with speed you cant deny that his strength from weights contributed to his speed and consiquently his success. Even pac man has pilled on so much mass hes been known to skip drug tests and a few years ago turned down the fight of the decade against mayweather when there was a rumoured 30m usd offered to each fighter.

Every athelete lifts weights, simple, its ignorant to think you shouldnt lift because you become like the hulk and slow, but i suppose you know more than the whole fitness community?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
First of all, Bruce Lee was trained in the style of Wu Ti Chi Chuan, a style based on passive defence and deflection; you do not need power or strength for this style as your aim is not to take down the opponent but to render them useless passively.
He had all that bulk for hollywood and lost a majority of it through injury.

Gg kid.

Also off the top of my head the three fastest combo punchers i know have power, sugar ray leonard, floyd patterson and pac man; all of which lift weights and gained mass because speed isnt everything, and i highly doubt the op is even half as quick as the boxers and has no where near the strength because he doesnt want to become slow.
I remember reading somewhere tyson has a 180/190kg bench press beyond 1rm, with his inside style and ability to land a haymaker with speed you cant deny that his strength from weights contributed to his speed and consiquently his success. Even pac man has pilled on so much mass hes been known to skip drug tests and a few years ago turned down the fight of the decade against mayweather when there was a rumoured 30m usd offered to each fighter.

Every athelete lifts weights, simple, its ignorant to think you shouldnt lift because you become like the hulk and slow, but i suppose you know more than the whole fitness community?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bruce Lee made his own 'martial art' jun fan gung fu/jeet kune do because he deemed traditional martial arts (including wing chun) as inefficient.
If he did lose any bulk, he gained it back after his injury when he became fitter, faster and stronger then he was before.

Gg kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Bruce Lee made his own 'martial art' jun fan gung fu/jeet kune do because he deemed traditional martial arts (including wing chun) as inefficient.
If he did lose any bulk, he gained it back after his injury when he became fitter, faster and stronger then he was before.

Gg kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youve made no point that counters my own, or even that relates to strength, youve just measured up knowledge as if its a contest; i didnt know he deemed traditional martial arts as inefficient, but my point that he didnt need mass for his style still stands. But again how does that correlate to our arguement? He still had mass, he was still fast, so whats your point exactly? You havent said im wrong.

I only stated he lost mass through injury because i was making the point it wasnt a concious decision just to regain speed as youve also pointed out.

Speed is nothing without strength, power and relative mass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest