The Student Room Group

Male Circumcision is a Feminist issue.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ihateusernames
ok make a thread titled who regrets getting circumcised and see what responses you get. The main point was religious ppl want it done and it causes minimal harm to them and no long term side effects (or low risks of them anyway). If the people having it done dont care then why do others? They have a right to express their religion beliefs abd circumcision is one way of doing that- who are you to take that away from them when it doesnt harm you or them?

But, surely, it should be the choice of the person being circumcised after they have grown up and accepted their parents religion and not the decision of the parents when the child cannot give consent because their stupid beliefs say they should.
Original post by Jammy Duel
But, surely, it should be the choice of the person being circumcised after they have grown up and accepted their parents religion and not the decision of the parents when the child cannot give consent because their stupid beliefs say they should.

in an ideal world maybe but like i said doing it when the boys are young mean it heals quicker- a week or so rather than ages when youre older.
in an ideal world maybe but like i said doing it when the boys are young mean it heals quicker- a week or so rather than ages when youre older.

But which is better, a week, or nothing because the procedure never happened?
But which is better, a week, or nothing because the procedure never happened?

well i would say most of the people would still go on to have it because its their religious beliefs - like i said y not make a thread about if guys regret or or even better still whether they would still have had it done when they were older. tbh i know someone who had it when he was 21 (for medical reasons) and it hasnt really affected him at all
ok make a thread titled who regrets getting circumcised and see what responses you get. The main point was religious ppl want it done and it causes minimal harm to them and no long term side effects (or low risks of them anyway). If the people having it done dont care then why do others? They have a right to express their religion beliefs abd circumcision is one way of doing that- who are you to take that away from them when it doesnt harm you or them?

Are you actually serious? Wow where to start....

ok make a thread titled who regrets getting circumcised and see what responses you get.
Estimates on how many babies die just in the USA each year vary from a few all the way up to 200, multiply that by the last 50 years and there are quite a few who would object who are not here to voice their opinion, as they are deceased. That is considering 1 country where medical practices are considered 'safe', can you imagine how many must have died worldwide especially when underdeveloped countries are considered.

The main point was religious ppl want it done

So what? If religious people wanted a human sacrifice, would we pander to them because 'religious people want it'? Absolutely baffling logic by any standards!

and it causes minimal harm to them and no long term side effects (or low risks of them anyway)

Plenty babies have died, what part do you not get? I certainly do not class death as 'minimal harm'. Regarding long term side effects, I think a huge number report issues to do with penile sensitivity. This quote explains it far better than I could..

"Yeah, sensitivity is usually heightened in the months following circumcision, but tends to gradually decrease as the months continue to go by. When you're intact, the foreskin covers the glans, so you don't have the feeling of the glans rubbing against your clothes or leg or whatever. Right now, you have the exact same sensitivity that you always had, except for your glans is exposed so you can felt it against your clothes.

With time, the glans develops layers of skin over it (keratinizes) due to it being constantly exposed. This blocks some sensitivity. It's a gradual process. If you compare the glans of a penis that was circumcised a while ago, you can see that it's very dried out compared to the glans of an intact penis.

Keep in mind that people who are against circumcision don't care what adults choose for their bodies. We just think it's barbaric to force it on babies."

If the people having it done dont care then why do others?

How the %^&* could you possibly know what a baby wants?

They have a right to express their religion beliefs

Well they shouldn't when it entails chopping part of someone's penis off without their consent.
If you want to go pray to someone or stuff then knock yourself out, I personally feel you don't have a 'right' to express any religious beliefs when you are holding a scalpel over another non consenting human being.

who are you to take that away from them

So you have the 'right' to express your religious beliefs by way of a scalpel on another human being but I don't have the 'right' to type on a keyboard? Pfft, talk to the hand dude!
Original post by markyb76
Are you actually serious? Wow where to start....

Estimates on how many babies die just in the USA each year vary from a few all the way up to 200, multiply that by the last 50 years and there are quite a few who would object who are not here to voice their opinion, as they are deceased. That is considering 1 country where medical practices are considered 'safe', can you imagine how many must have died worldwide especially when underdeveloped countries are considered.

In my limited experience actual religious guys who do it are better at circumcisions. I get your point about the deaths and thats regretable. I guess really religious ppl wud say that that was gods plan and would still get their sons circumcised if they knew he would die ? Dunno really i guess everyone thinks it wouldnt affect their son because the risks are so low

So what? If religious people wanted a human sacrifice, would we pander to them because 'religious people want it'? Absolutely baffling logic by any standards!

The difference is at a human sacrifice someone dies at the hand of another person thats the main objective of it - no one goes to a circumcism thinking im sacrificing my son for my religion

Plenty babies have died, what part do you not get? I certainly do not class death as 'minimal harm'. Regarding long term side effects, I think a huge number report issues to do with penile sensitivity. This quote explains it far better than I could..

"Yeah, sensitivity is usually heightened in the months following circumcision, but tends to gradually decrease as the months continue to go by. When you're intact, the foreskin covers the glans, so you don't have the feeling of the glans rubbing against your clothes or leg or whatever. Right now, you have the exact same sensitivity that you always had, except for your glans is exposed so you can felt it against your clothes.

With time, the glans develops layers of skin over it (keratinizes) due to it being constantly exposed. This blocks some sensitivity. It's a gradual process. If you compare the glans of a penis that was circumcised a while ago, you can see that it's very dried out compared to the glans of an intact penis.

Sensitivity just affects sex nothing life threatening bout it sure it sucks but guys wud still choose.to.have it done despite this.

Keep in mind that people who are against circumcision don't care what adults choose for their bodies. We just think it's barbaric to force it on babies."

How the %^&* could you possibly know what a baby wants?

Majority of religious ppl bring up children that are religious obviously some leave but its nit that common. Following that logic most would choose to be cut later on in their lives.

Well they shouldn't when it entails chopping part of someone's penis off without their consent.
If you want to go pray to someone or stuff then knock yourself out, I personally feel you don't have a 'right' to express any religious beliefs when you are holding a scalpel over another non consenting human being.

So you have the 'right' to express your religious beliefs by way of a scalpel on another human being but I don't have the 'right' to type on a keyboard? Pfft, talk to the hand dude!

Not saying u cant expreas ur beliefs but u cant just ban something because you see ut as barbaric whikst others dont

I.dnt know i guess it gets complicated when u include figures.bout death and stuff but because ive never experienced it firsthand or heard about it happening to anyone to me circumcision is not that much if a big deal. I realise thats a weak argument as i write it but i dnt think.circumcision should be banned.

Oh and in my culture they usually circumcise kids when theyre bout 11 yrs old so i guesa they kinda have a say - but they usually look forward to it cos they get to have a big party afterwards lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
MUST WATCH VIDEO

Circumcision is risky cosmetic surgery, when done to a child it messes with their brains they become more sensitive to pain.
You know the four skin is fused to the penis on babies, its a risky procedure.

Christian don't need to be circumcised, only Jews do. Even a child is Jewish, he should have to right to make the decision on the topic of removing piece of his penis. You never hear a sane man talking about how he can't wait for his circumcision. There is a reason why they get them whilst their young and defenceless.
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
MUST WATCH VIDEO

Circumcision is risky cosmetic surgery, when done to a child it messes with their brains they become more sensitive to pain.
You know the four skin is fused to the penis on babies, its a risky procedure.

Christian don't need to be circumcised, only Jews do. Even a child is Jewish, he should have to right to make the decision on the topic of removing piece of his penis. You never hear a sane man talking about how he can't wait for his circumcision. There is a reason why they get them whilst their young and defenceless.

It is hard to fathom how anyone could watch that video and still advocate circumcision.
Original post by markyb76
It is hard to fathom how anyone could watch that video and still advocate circumcision.

Yh stefan molyneux is fantastic when it comes to discussing major topics, from child abuse, domestic violence, feminism, std's etc.
Reply 149
To state that male circumcision has no benefits is simply not true. Anyone who says otherwise without posting any proof to backup their claims is a moron.

Male circumcision not only makes the male penis look larger and less like a work but also has various research backed health benefits.

Recent research carried out has found it empirically reduces the risk that a man will acquire HIV from an infected female partner, and also lowers the risk of other STDs , penile cancer, and infant urinary tract infection.

For female partners, male circumcision reduces the risk of cervical cancer, genital ulceration, bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, and HPV. Although male circumcision has risks including pain, bleeding, and infection, more serious complications are rare.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/

Or watch hank's explanation for those of you that don't like to read. http://youtu.be/NwX5zfC0hgc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminists i have seen support MGM
Original post by KingStannis
Feminists i have seen support MGM

Is this just very sloppy English and you're saying you have, or slightly sloppy and giving a list of the ones you have?

(Or my phone messing up and not showing something)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this just very sloppy English and you're saying you have, or slightly sloppy and giving a list of the ones you have?

(Or my phone messing up and not showing something)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm saying I have seen many feminists who support Male genital Mutilation.

Well that is a first! I watched 5 minutes + of Laci Green and did not take issue with anything she said. I even gave her a positive rating, sigh.

Yup me too, but if you watch the video quoted here you will see that not all feminists do so there is no need to stereotype and suggest it is a position of feminism. People from many groups have divided opinion.

The issue I take with feminism as a whole regarding this is not that they 'support male circumcision'. I personally feel it is hypocritical to state they are after equality for both sexes and not actively speak out against MGM as well as FGM. It is a cake and eat it kind of thing.

Original post by 3vo
To state that male circumcision has no benefits is simply not true. Anyone who says otherwise without posting any proof to backup their claims is a moron.

LOL! The irony of anyone writing that and suggesting anyone is a moron is beyond ironic!

So 'medical practices' including surgery should be carried out on people unless they can prove it is not beneficial? Just lol!

The health benefits are disputed, there are studies showing different results and opinion is divided. However (I cannot believe I am going to quote a feminist here) "Opinion is not divided on the effectiveness of condoms" (Laci Green) So rather that lob part of an non consenting infant's body off, could we just suggest people consider condoms?

If you are so sure about the issue I suggest you watch Stefan Molyneux's video on the issue which was posted by rooney-9-mutd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 155

Including those in the United Nations, which is currently spending many millions (£65m of it from the UK) on promoting male genital mutilation in Africa.

Male genital mutilation (which even the UK government conflates entirely with 'circumcision', not recognising any form of genital mutilation that they consider anything other than legal circumcision) is indeed a feminist issue: feminist organisations around the world push for males to be genitally mutilated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending