Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intro to Investment Banking

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)

Please note that this doesn’t mean that if you do Mathematics at Oxford you are certain to get a position in Banking. 90% of positions tend to be filled across banks by people with a certain degree from a certain university, and these are these the ones I have listed, but this is not to say a Economics degree from Queen Mary is not going to get you in if you are ‘up to it.’
    I love how you said economics at queen mary, because im going there
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I love how you said economics at queen mary, because im going there
    You reponded to five yr old post.... but still relevant...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2 Questions:

Is their any IB role that isn't quantitative?

And on failure to achieve Summer/Spring internships, are IB hopes doomed? I was kind of hoping to be lazy, complete a relevant Masters/MBA and then just jump onto whatever's suitable. Is this silly?

tyty
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfao)
    2 Questions:

Is their any IB role that isn't quantitative?

And on failure to achieve Summer/Spring internships, are IB hopes doomed? I was kind of hoping to be lazy, complete a relevant Masters/MBA and then just jump onto whatever's suitable. Is this silly?

tyty
    If you don't like numbers, you picked the wrong indsutry. Or what do you mean by "isn't quantitative"?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    WIll my first year degree marks be taken into account, if i'm applying for an internship in my second year?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    WIll my first year degree marks be taken into account, if i'm applying for an internship in my second year?
    At certain places yes, others no.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How does one go about getting an off cycle internship with a BB?
    I know a good bit about banking and I got a 1st for first year from a good Irish uni and 400+ UCAS points (converted from the Irish system)..

I know how it is with boutiques, but for BB do you just cold call/email or is there usually a set out process for off cycle like there is for summer internships? (I am required to get 4 months work exp. in 2nd year and was hoping for IBD or Research)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulgeBracket)
    I know a good bit about banking and I got a 1st for first year from a good Irish uni and 400+ UCAS points (converted from the Irish system)..

I know how it is with boutiques, but for BB do you just cold call/email or is there usually a set out process for off cycle like there is for summer internships? (I am required to get 4 months work exp. in 2nd year and was hoping for IBD or Research)
    theres an online applciation system
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulgeBracket)

Yes some banks do offer off cycle internships. I think BNP Paribas are currently recruiting for off cycle interns.

Other banks in the UK that offer them include Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan. You'll have to check the websites yourself to find out.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.fow.com/

This would be a useful site for those wanting to get a bit more familiar with derivs and related parlance...perhaps worth putting in the OP. There's some subscription only content but a lot of decent free articles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are interested in a career in banking, then check out the Free Tutorials on how to get a job on Wall Street at [www] insideinvestmentbanking [dot] com. Best part, all the tutorials are written by bankers who’ve been there, done that, so the advice is really solid. Disclosure: I’m actually a current student of IIB and I do get help from them with recruiting (eg resume review) in exchange for letting other students know about it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singh copied this all from

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavik_sheth)

It is other way round...lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavik_sheth)

Not that I really care, but I didn't actually copy it all from the link. In fact, it was the other way round. At the time of writing the thread the forum was full of threads asking pretty much the same question. I'm sure PB and others who were around at the time can agree how boring and repitive it all became. So I decided to put my thoughts and ideas into a thread, which was later made into a sticky.

Just maybe people should get their facts right before they post.

Kind of annoyed I didn't get notice of someone copying my thread into a wiki article.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumb Economist)
    It is other way round...lol
    Lol, just noticed this. Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol sorry, when I posted that, I was hoping it wasn't the other way round but unfortunately it was.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey which course will give me a better chance at Investment Banking. Physics at Imperial College or UCL or will their be negligible difference?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    Options, Futures and Other Derivatives; John Hull
    Is there a difference between the US and the Global Edition? well other than price that is as I'm trying to see which one I should purchase as I am reading it for myself (hopefully it will help me with my ambitions to get into IB) not a course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    May be of use...

There was a newspaper last term around campus - 'The Gateway Investment Banking Special' which was pretty good as an introduction to banking .. lots of course-mates used it for their applications, interviews etc

I got an email several months back from my business school and the whole issue is still available online so I thought i'd offer it up as an extra to the resources on the original thread! : http://thegatewayonline.com/issues/issue42
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brazil and Rio de Janeiro Investment Consulting & Business consulting. advisory services ports shipyard biofuels commercial residential real estate hotels mergers acquisitions private equity capital.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 3, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.