The Student Room Group

Are these good A-Level options?

I need to submit my A-Level options by the end of this week and have come to a conclusion.
I got an A* in my maths GCSE and am predicted an A* also in history, with a distinction in Business BTEC. So are these good options?
Economics, Maths- Statistics, History, Government and Politics.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by samhelyes
I need to submit my A-Level options by the end of this week and have come to a conclusion.
I got an A* in my maths GCSE and am predicted an A* also in history, with a distinction in Business BTEC. So are these good options?

Thanks

Why do people ask if there selections are good? There are no "good" selections. Unless there is a certain career you want to pursue.
Reply 2
Yes they are good as long as you don't plan on any science career

Thanks

What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Original post by Clarky7
Why do people ask if there selections are good? There are no "good" selections. Unless there is a certain career you want to pursue.

Yes, yes there are, some A-levels are considered soft, and others 'hard'. Trinity College, Cambridge published a list for them, but most unis have similar lists.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

E.g.
Chemistry
(Further) Mathematics
Physics
Economics

3A1, 1A2, is considered better than:

LIST C
4 A-levels Suitable Only As Fourth Subjects

Perspectives on Science
Dance
Sport Studies
Leisure Studies

Your choices seem ok.

Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing at uni?

thanks everyone for your comments btw.
and i was thinking of getting a degree in economics.
Reply 6
Original post by EsomR
Yes, yes there are, some A-levels are considered soft, and others 'hard'. Trinity College, Cambridge published a list for them, but most unis have similar lists.

And should you not do an A-Level you are passionate about and love doing because a university deems it as "bad"?
Cambridge/oxford are the sort of university's that don't offer sport related or dance courses. So obviously their view will be bias against those sort of A-Levels.
It all comes down to what you define as good. Whether it will lead to better job prospects in the future? Or actually being happy in the career you've decided to pursue. Whether it be nuclear engineering or dance.

Those sound like decent subjects for economics.
Original post by Clarky7
And should you not do an A-Level you are passionate about and love doing because a university deems it as "bad"?
Cambridge/oxford are the sort of university's that don't offer sport related or dance courses. So obviously their view will be bias against those sort of A-Levels.
It all comes down to what you define as good. Whether it will lead to better job prospects in the future? Or actually being happy in the career you've decided to pursue. Whether it be nuclear engineering or dance.

Yes, I totally agree, pick what you want to spend at least 2 years doing. If you happen to want to do 'preferred' subjects then you're lucky.

maybe consider further maths if an economics degree as it will benefit you. Though those are very good choices for economics

Personally id switch the government and politics for further maths, you have an A* in gcse maths which is no real indication youll do well but it certainly doesnt indicate that you'll do badly. If you feel you are at the top end of your maths group then its sometjing to consider. Govt. and Politics is seen as a little bit of a soft subject. But its less so than sociology/psychology/geography and theres nothing wrong with having 1 soft subject

Maybe consider FMaths AS atleast. For economics at uni I would advise it, as would the economics departments of many universities.

Quick Reply

Latest