The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How lenient are York regarding meeting your conditional offer grades?

So I've applied to study a single honours History degree at York uni, and I've just received my conditional offer. The problem is, I applied with AAC, but with the intention to resit my C, and so my predicted grades were AAB. My conditional offer is AAA, but I don't see this as being the likely outcome seeing as i'm struggling a bit with my Spanish (an A in Spanish isn't gonna happen).
Is it worth putting York as my firm choice? I really want to go there but realistically if I come out in June with AAB and not AAA will they still consider me or is it a wasted application, especially as History is a popular course?
Reply 1
It will entirely depend on how many people make their offers. If History is a popular course, it will be less likely that they'll be lenient because it costs them money to take too many people.

Having said that, the firm/insurance is exactly for this purpose; I'd put York down as my firm being optimistic about what grades I'd get. Work hard and you'll get in; you might get in even if you don't make the grades, but pick your insurance as somewhere you'd like to go to, too.
University of York
York
Reply 2
I'm an Electronics student so not sure if this bares any relevance to your situation. I applied with predicted grades of AAAA, got a conditional offer of AAB, screwed up Year 13 royally and was accepted with ACCC. So in my case they were rather lenient although as mentioned already it will depend on the popularity of that course at the time and how many people they are trying to squeeze in/out. For example, my firm course (Southampton) had an offer of ABB but they turned me down.
Reply 3
I've got an unconditional offer for French & History, for which AAA is the typical offer. My A2 grades were A*BB, with a B in French and an A* in History (working in France this year). I'm not resitting anything and the working abroad could explain the leniency towards me. It may well be the same for you, though I believe you'd be under slightly more pressure to get the offer than I am.
My boyfriend applied for Pure Mathematics last year with ABB. If you average a point below the conditions, it says on the site that they may be willing to take you. You could probably get in still with AAB, but try and go for that AAA :smile:
Reply 4
Literally just made a TSR account to reply to this
I'm in my fist year at York doing History and Politics. It does really depend on the intake for that year but I really wouldn't worry. I've found that York are more interested in your application, personal statement etc. than your final grades. I know people on my course with A*AA, AAB and ABB with some not even with the A in History. I would try to get AAA as I know for English this year they were so over subscribed they didn't take anyone who got below AAA. You never know what will happen my friend got A*AB when she was adament she would get ABB. Good luck!
These replies are quite reassuring! Although it is possible I can meet my offer (Electronics Foundation Year), I'm not 100% confident. In terms of extra-curricular stuff, I think I'm very well placed, it's just the academic side that may let me down. Hopefully that won't be as much of an issue given it's a foundation year, but the idea that I may be able to get in even if I miss my grades is certainly calming!
Reply 6
i'm in the same boat as you! ive applied for history , currently sitting on AAC with the C also being in a language (German-so difficult!) Resitting the German AS, should be able to get it up to an A but A2 will be a whole different story, hopefully going to come out with AAB at least and hope York let me in haha!
My Politics offer was AAB but I expected ABB. Ended up with BBB and got accepted. Last year there was major issue with accommodation for clearing students. If you think York is one of your top options least put it down as insurance to make sure you have on campus accommodation if you want it
Reply 8
2009 history applicant.

AAA offer.

Rejected with AAB 7 UMS points away from the 3rd A (in Maths).
So what you're asking is "is it worth it to put York down, bearing in mind I may well miss a grade"? I think so. History is competitive, but I wouldn't have thought that it was like medicine where there's no room whatsoever. Could be everyone else gets AAA this year and you miss out, could be they let in a few AABs but you still miss out, or it could be that they let you in.

Worth putting as a firm if you've got a good backup that you'll definitely get into.
Original post by Miffins123
I'm applying for politics at York and am realistically expecting ABB (hoping for AAB). Were there many like you that didn't make the grades? What did you think got you in - did you have a lot of extra curricular stuff?

Thanks!

If you get ABB I am 100% sure that would get you in. Yes they were a lot who didn't make the top grades but I only missed out on A B B by 1 mark so that helped me I suppose. In terms of extra curricular I had done works experience with an MP so that looked good and additionally I am a member of a party so it showed I had a lot of interest outside of the course around the subject. So honestly if you don't get AAB I wouldn't worry or let that put pressure on you. BBB should be enough alone, Id say 80% sure BBB gets you in but 100% ABB. A tip for you is the days before result day some Universities release there clearing places and what grades they want. If York or similar Universities ask for BBB in Politics then you should know that you are set. Best of luck.
hey,

i have applied for Psychology in education and they want ABB.

i didn't do so well last year and finished with ACD. i have been offered a place if i get ABB.
as a am resitting a few exams i think (hope) i will get ABC and i hope i get a place.
considering i actually got offered a place with last years grades im hoping they liked something about me other than my grades.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information about linguistics. They've offered me AAB, but there's a chance I could get ABB, what are the chances that they'd still accept me?
Original post by KayleighPeters
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information about linguistics. They've offered me AAB, but there's a chance I could get ABB, what are the chances that they'd still accept me?

York entered into clearing for linguistics for BBB last year and linguistics is so under subscribed. Try your best but I really wouldn't worry.
Has anyone else applied for the Writing, Directing and Performance course at York? I've been offered a place at AAB, but it's looking more like I'll get ABB/C (English Literature is a killer and AQA have been a bit odd in the way they've been marking papers recently...)

What's everyone else been predicted? :smile:
Original post by conkerandco
I'm an Electronics student so not sure if this bares any relevance to your situation. I applied with predicted grades of AAAA, got a conditional offer of AAB, screwed up Year 13 royally and was accepted with ACCC. So in my case they were rather lenient although as mentioned already it will depend on the popularity of that course at the time and how many people they are trying to squeeze in/out. For example, my firm course (Southampton) had an offer of ABB but they turned me down.

Very interesting to see this as I'm applying for Electronic Engineering, good to know I might have a chance if I don't quite make my offer
Reply 16
What happened? Were you accepted to York?
My offer for Biology was AAB, I got my A2 results of ABB yesterday (With an A* in EPQ) and still got my place. Have heard of others getting offers of AAB with ABB before too (that is, on TSR).
How did this go? I was hoping of applying to do history at York, but there is 0 chance in hell that I'm gonna get AAA.

I have A* B and C at the moment, but Im re-sitting the C.

What grades did you get and did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending