The Student Room Group

York uni application help? How lenient are the entry requirements?

So I've applied to study a single honours History degree at York uni, and I've just received my conditional offer. The problem is, I applied with AAC, but with the intention to resit my C, and so my predicted grades were AAB. My conditional offer is AAA, but I don't see this as being the likely outcome seeing as i'm struggling a bit with my Spanish (an A in Spanish isn't gonna happen).
Is it worth putting York as my firm choice? I really want to go there but realistically if I come out in June with AAB and not AAA will they still consider me or is it a wasted application, especially as History is a popular course?
Reply 1
To be honestly, I don't think they're likely to let you in if you don't meet your condition since history is such a popular subject, with many applicants meeting their offer, and York is a very popular university. Someone I know got a conditional of AAA for Edinburgh, for English Literature, and got A*A*B in their exams but still didn't get in even though they thought Edinburgh would be lenient on them.
Reply 2
Original post by Dylankj96
To be honestly, I don't think they're likely to let you in if you don't meet your condition since history is such a popular subject, with many applicants meeting their offer, and York is a very popular university. Someone I know got a conditional of AAA for Edinburgh, for English Literature, and got A*A*B in their exams but still didn't get in even though they thought Edinburgh would be lenient on them.

Ah thanks anyway, it seems kinda harsh for them to put the offer above your predicted grades :/ Maybe I can get AAA, I'll get down the grindstone and accept the challenge!
Original post by rhorton
Ah thanks anyway, it seems kinda harsh for them to put the offer above your predicted grades :/ Maybe I can get AAA, I'll get down the grindstone and accept the challenge!

Why is it harsh for York to offer AAA if that is their standard requirement? Why did you apply for York if you felt you had no prospect of getting the grades?
Depends how well people do in the summer. If loads of people miss offers and they have places to fill then they will let offer holders in with lower grades. I would still firm them if that's where you want to go and since AAB is not too far off from AAA you could get in.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Why is it harsh for York to offer AAA if that is their standard requirement? Why did you apply for York if you felt you had no prospect of getting the grades?

I meant if my predicted is AAB then perhaps they ought to decline me rather than ask for AAA. I'm still going to try for AAA though, and I understand the competitive environment makes it reasonable for them to ask for such high grades.
I suppose I wrote that when I was feeling a bit defeatist and pessimistic.

Also I applied as York uni has always been the place I've aspired towards, and on the open day it was wonderful. I sent my application as a kind of 'why the hell not' only now I have the offer I'm worried about whether or not the risk is worth it.
Reply 6
Original post by adamsmithqm
Depends how well people do in the summer. If loads of people miss offers and they have places to fill then they will let offer holders in with lower grades. I would still firm them if that's where you want to go and since AAB is not too far off from AAA you could get in.

Good Luck :smile:

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go for it! especially as my insurance is AAB (Birmingham) and I love it there enough to not be too sad if I miss out on York :biggrin:
Original post by rhorton
I meant if my predicted is AAB then perhaps they ought to decline me rather than ask for AAA. I'm still going to try for AAA though, and I understand the competitive environment makes it reasonable for them to ask for such high grades.
I suppose I wrote that when I was feeling a bit defeatist and pessimistic.

Also I applied as York uni has always been the place I've aspired towards, and on the open day it was wonderful. I sent my application as a kind of 'why the hell not' only now I have the offer I'm worried about whether or not the risk is worth it.

OK, I understand now. Universities often make offers above predictions; sometimes the student makes the offer and sometimes even if they fail the uni will take them anyway though that depends on many factors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending