The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Its mostly practical ie coordination type exercises. Check the RAF web site for further details. PPRUNE forum also got shedloads of stuff for military aircrew wannabees. Academically they need high levels of arithmetical mental calculations etc eg time and distance type stuff. The mental workload in flying military aircraft is huge.
Reply 2
Get a book off amazon called "pass OASC" or somethin like that. A blue book. Got loadsa questions and links n stuff to websites in their.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by joseph13
Hi, Im going to Cranwell in March to take my aptitude test for a pilot, can anyone recommend any good practice papers. Think i will prob be the youngest there! so a little nervous at the min.

Hi Jospeh, I've got my aptitude test in March as well, which date are you going?
In terms of practice stuff I've found quite a bit online to help. Have you received the JI's yet? It gives you a long list of all the different tests that they do and ways to prepare for them. Anyways have a look at that and you'll see that there are things like 'numerical reasoning', 'verbal reasoning' and things like that, theres lots of practice ones online if you type them into google. With pilot you'll definitely need to be quick on mental arithmetic and I've found that sporcle.com is amazing for quick maths games that get the brain going! Once you've polished up of that the speed distance time stuff becomes a bit easier! You have to do everything in your head at the aptitude tests so really try and avoid using pen and paper as you won't be allowed it on the day! makes your brain work much harder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Redders,
My date is 9th March. When i got my email i couldnt open the sample tests they sent in the format. Whats the JI's. Ive tried to look up on line some tests. Will check out the ones you have suggested. Im pretty quick with mental arithmetic but think my nerves will get the better of me!! My parents wanted to buy some books for me but looking at this site alot of people think there is enough info out there to help me. Thanks for the info, And good luck.
JIs = Joining Instructions.

Military speak for document telling you what/where/when/how and what to bring for a course (or in this case attending OASC).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jebbadiah
Get a book off amazon called "pass OASC" or somethin like that. A blue book. Got loadsa questions and links n stuff to websites in their.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi jebbadiah
Ive just got that book from Amazon not had chance to read it yet, but hopefully will help me.
Reply 7
It helped me when I went. Even tho I failed by one mark haha. But it gives stuff on how to pass the second part and the leadership stuff! Worth the money I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Practice your Speed/Distance/Time calculations, there are plenty on this website and online if you search. The majority of the tests you can't practice too much for, however a fair few will involve quick mental arithmetic especially with SDT. It may also be worth just trying to get your head around bearings if you don't have a clue currently as these sometimes pop up.

Good luck.
Reply 9
Original post by ChrisLincoln
Practice your Speed/Distance/Time calculations, there are plenty on this website and online if you search. The majority of the tests you can't practice too much for, however a fair few will involve quick mental arithmetic especially with SDT. It may also be worth just trying to get your head around bearings if you don't have a clue currently as these sometimes pop up.

Good luck.

Hi ChrisLincoln.
Thanks for that update, ive managed to check over a few sites. I will keep up the practice, just hope my nerves dont get the better of me!!!
Reply 10
Original post by jebbadiah
It helped me when I went. Even tho I failed by one mark haha. But it gives stuff on how to pass the second part and the leadership stuff! Worth the money I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that, do you still want to go in to the RAF?
Reply 11
I've actually done the computer-based part of the OASC aptitude tests as a civilian through GAPAN, so I have a little bit of advice for that section. Bear in mind this is only from my visit as a civilian, so your experience will be different.

Keep calm! Some sections of the tests happen very quickly, and if your let nerves take you over everything falls apart.

Don't expect perfection. No-one has ever scored full marks on the tests, getting 120/180 is a respectable score.

Use the breaks. You will get a short break partway through the tests. Go back to the room, drink some water, stretch out a bit.

Make sure you are back at your desk before the break time expires - there's a screen on the wall showing how long you have left.

Mental maths. The multitasking (or whatever it's correct name is) has quick mental maths as part of it. They're not difficult, no algebra or anything, but it's a skill worth practicing.

More on multitasking. Several different things will be happening across the screen. Make sure you keep scanning the whole area, don't get focused on one part. The system marks you on your ability to manage several tasks at once.

Hand-eye coordination. Get some practice in with a joystick if you can, but don't go over-the-top. The stick in this test has a deliberate time delay built in, to see if you can adapt.

Food. I don't know when in OASC you will take the tests, but a decent meal is a must. Your brain needs the energy to work at it's best.

Aircraft Instruments. Get a basic understanding of an altimeter, VSI, ASI and HSI. They will get explained in the test, but it's best if you can already quickly make sense of what they're saying to you. Plus, a little aviation knowledge won't hurt.

Outside the computer-based aptitude testing I don't know that much, but I'll offer some advice if you wish to take it:

Brush up on current affairs. Read the papers and the news sites, find out what's happening and develop an opinion on it you can back up.

Find out about the RAF and their history. Learn about current aircraft, their weaponry and equipment, their roles and current operations. Nothing deep, but a working knowledge of the organisation you are applying to spend years of your life with will help show you know what you're doing.

Finally, don't worry about age. They're looking for your potential and your willingness and ability to learn.

Overall, I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 12
Sorry to hear that, do you still want to go in to the RAF?

Yea still goin in. I'm waitin for pre recruit trainin at the minute but can resit the tests again in July so I'll probably do that. You got any second choice roles after pilot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
just for anyone else reading this. Do NOT buy anything to 'help' you prepare. You don't need to spend money. There are enough free resources here and elsewhere on the internet to set you up for success.
Reply 14
How complex are we talking for the mental arithmetic side of things?
Reply 15
Original post by Redders13
How complex are we talking for the mental arithmetic side of things?

From memory, it's just +-*/, there may be some simple squares and roots in there too. Probably no more than 1 decimal place, 2 places at a stretch. I was a little too busy at the time to remember quite what was happening.
Reply 16
Original post by AlistairH
From memory, it's just +-*/, there may be some simple squares and roots in there too. Probably no more than 1 decimal place, 2 places at a stretch. I was a little too busy at the time to remember quite what was happening.

Cool thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Redders13
Cool thanks :smile:

Getting some mental maths practice in will be very helpful, as it gives you more time to concentrate on the rest of the test.

I've also remembered, there is one test where you have to remember a string of digits (up to 9 at once) and type them in. Get some practice in at this too.
Hi, Im going to Cranwell in March to take my aptitude test for a pilot, can anyone recommend any good practice papers. Think i will prob be the youngest there! so a little nervous at the min.

Hi. Did you pass the test? And are you a pilot
Original post by Flt Lt A Qureshi
Hi. Did you pass the test? And are you a pilot

The OP hasn't been online since March 2014. Why did you bump such an old thread?

Latest