The Student Room Group

Fp1 matrices

Hi i need help with this topic assessment that i am currently doing.
im just stuck with the wording of the question also needing help only on Q1

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/609fcda4b1be7c3af0749497b9659c69/Matrices_Chapter_Assessment.pdf

so for part one i stated its a standard rotation at the origin, and its anti clock wise 106 degrees.

not so sure what part 2 meant, and for part 3 i got a answer of y=3.428571x

which im not sure if ive done it right

2)iv)
3)i)b)
dont understand these either
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RonnieRR
Hi i need help with this topic assessment that i am currently doing.
im just stuck with the wording of the question also needing help only on Q1

https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/609fcda4b1be7c3af0749497b9659c69/Matrices_Chapter_Assessment.pdf

so for part one i stated its a standard rotation at the origin, and its anti clock wise 106 degrees.

not so sure what part 2 meant, and for part 3 i got a answer of y=3.428571x

which im not sure if ive done it right

2)iv)
3)i)b)
dont understand these either

1. To deduce a transformation matrix (FP1) you should observe what the transformation does to the identity (2x2) matrix.

Draw a diagram of Cartesian axes. Label the points (1,0) and (0,1). Then show how these points have moved. The first column of the transformation matrix shows the image of the point (1,0) and the second one shows that of (0,1). See pic.

You could assume it to be a clockwise or anticlockwise rotation. Either way (you don't get the same angle) you should find out by adding two angles (90+a)

pic1.png

2. Likewise you could consider these two points and build up the transformation matrix representing a reflection in the x axis. Then if that matrix is X ...S would be = XR (and not RX) because it is first R followed by X

3. Invariant points are the points which does not move. Apply the transformation to the variable point (X,Y) and equalize the image point with the real point. You get an equation for either row so voila a straight line! (The question says to prove that the points which when transformed remains the same point should lie in a straight line)

If you are finding it hard to visualize what invariant points are think of a transformation of a reflection in the x axis. All the point below go up and all the points up go down. The invariant points are the points in the x axis - they don't move at all.

Hope its clear :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest