The Student Room Group

Doing a seminar in my pre uni course on linguistics. please can you help? Plz answer!

Hi :smile:

I'm doing an Access course. In it, we do study skills and this terms topic is seminars.We must choose a topic which has two arguments to it ,but it can be anything we want, preferably something we're passionate about.
Though I haven't studied linguistics( yet), I'm very passionate about it . I started Russian two and half years ago and started Finnish the year after. I have also listened to a few lectures from La Trobe University and University of Arizona on linguistics ( a few others i cant remember )and a little from lingua Franca radio programme.I also have a specific interest in Sami languages. I would like to be a linguistic professor in the farr future ( im only 20 :/) but for now compared to someone who has a degree I don't know crap :tongue:

For my seminar I want to argue whether we should embrace linguistic diversity or have one global language.
However, I'm having a little bit of a hard time finding linguists who actually SUPPORT that we should have a global language since the issue of linguicide is close to the hearts of many..but i refuse to beleive that there are none who do. So I'm wondering if anyone here can tell suggest any to me so I can find things about them to help my Seminar.

if I'm not mistaken -and I might just be being stupid here..does David Crystal support English as a global language?...I think I saw that somewhere :/?)

thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending