The Student Room Group

Advice for Someone on a CompSci Conversion Masters

Hi guys,
Hoping I can find some good advice here about what exactly I should/could be doing next year. Basically, I'm on a Computer Science conversion masters and am loving the subject, especially the programming parts of it. I started looking at software development Graduate jobs in January but most of them ask for experience on at least one proper project, which obviously I hadn't done as I literally learnt to program in Java last semester (but did do pretty well in the module) and had exams through January. The good news is this past weekend I went to StudentHack in Manchester, and my team came away with best comedy hack for a simple game made in Java. Good news for my confidence and my CV.

The trouble is now, most good graduate positions have disappeared at this time of year, and I'm looking at the remnants. So what, should I just lump it and take a half-decent job? Or would I be better off improving my skillset in my own time over the course of next year after graduation? I ask this because breadth of skills and depth of skills are both important in CompSci, and I don't know if some of the more basic Java programming jobs will give me experience with any other languages, or even give me much meaningful stuff to do.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any ideas on the best way of getting a good job at this point? Any general advice would be useful.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending