The Student Room Group

M1-3 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hello all you mechanics veterans :tongue: any tips for how to revise and do well in m1?
Original post by Navo D.
hello all you mechanics veterans :tongue: any tips for how to revise and do well in m1?

Solomons
Reply 42
Does anyone have any idea why the M3 book leaves pi in the integrals for finding the centres of masses of solids of revolution? I want to cancel them but there must be a reason why they left them in; maybe to aid memorisation with the Mx & My ones perhaps?
Reply 43
Original post by Glavespian
Does anyone have any idea why the M3 book leaves pi in the integrals for finding the centres of masses of solids of revolution? I want to cancel them but there must be a reason why they left them in; maybe to aid memorisation with the Mx & My ones perhaps?

I think you'd lose marks if you just cancel it out straight away. But yeah basically write the formula first and then you cancel out the pi and row :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Convinced my school to let me do M3 instead of D2, Decision maths is boring.
Reply 45
Original post by Dilzo999
I think you'd lose marks if you just cancel it out straight away. But yeah basically write the formula first and then you cancel out the pi and row :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have to check some mark schemes; is anyone else finding statics far easier than they thought it would be in M3? I actually think FP3 will be my hardest unit, not M3.

Original post by saddle098
Convinced my school to let me do M3 instead of D2, Decision maths is boring.

Same here, :smile: it's much better isn't it? The calculus in chapter three is really nice.
Reply 46
I'll have to check some mark schemes; is anyone else finding statics far easier than they thought it would be in M3? I actually think FP3 will be my hardest unit, not M3.

Same here, :smile: it's much better isn't it? The calculus in chapter three is really nice.

I agree with FP3 being the hardest unit. I still don't fully understand the purpose of an eigenvector :P

Yeah, the calculus is great. You get to do all the interesting stuff that they miss out in Physics! Soo much better than the endless table-drawing that is D2.
Reply 47
Original post by saddle098
I agree with FP3 being the hardest unit. I still don't fully understand the purpose of an eigenvector :P

Yeah, the calculus is great. You get to do all the interesting stuff that they miss out in Physics! Soo much better than the endless table-drawing that is D2.

I think eigenvectors are the opposite for me. :biggrin: At least at the moment they seem to me to be a neat way of looking at transformations & matrix multiplication with vectors, diagonalisation on the other hand...

Have you finished M3? I'm one section of a chapter off doing so; but it's rather worrying having such an advanced exam so early. :colondollar:
Reply 48
I think eigenvectors are the opposite for me. :biggrin: At least at the moment they seem to me to be a neat way of looking at transformations & matrix multiplication with vectors, diagonalisation on the other hand...

Have you finished M3? I'm one section of a chapter off doing so; but it's rather worrying having such an advanced exam so early. :colondollar:

Yeah... I could do with revising that too :P

No, I'm currently on the further dynamics chapter, after that I just have the statics left. There's actually not that long until the exam, it's a little scary. It makes no sense, I'd much prefer to do M2 first.
Original post by Navo D.

Look back at papers from the early 2000s. Unusual questions from those years have been coming round again.
I realize I know absolutely no M2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
I realize I no absolutely no M2.

You also don't "no" how to spell :laugh:
How long has it taken you guys to finish edexcel M3 and which topic would you say is the hardest?
Reply 53
Original post by Ilovemaths96
How long has it taken you guys to finish edexcel M3 and which topic would you say is the hardest?

Took me about 2 months from being school taught so 5 hours per week. Also hardest topics are well it entirely depends on the paper because from experience is differs from circles, SHM and elastic strings.
I need help in M1...
Edexcel student book page 128, Exercise 5D, no. 3. If someone could explain the sum or just simply do it step by step, will help me a lot. Thnx..
Original post by Nora R. Chloe
I need help in M1...
Edexcel student book page 128, Exercise 5D, no. 3. If someone could explain the sum or just simply do it step by step, will help me a lot. Thnx..

Do you mind typing the problem and solution please?
I be glad to help
Reply 56
Finished the content for M2 today :biggrin: Done a few past papers and realised I'll have to go over the moments section again, got every single hinge/ladder type question wrong :laugh:
Original post by keromedic
Ooh lovely. I self studied M2 in 2days last week. I've been sick since starting half term but am planning on doing a pastpaper tonight for wither Fp2 or M2 and then making a start on M3 and S2.

Maybe give M3 another consider? I did M1 twice and did badly in it :tongue:.

Wow, may I ask how you did that?

As in what resources did you use? How much time did you spend per day studying? Also, did you understand it completely after those 2 days?
Original post by L'Etudiant
Wow, may I ask how you did that?

As in what resources did you use? How much time did you spend per day studying? Also, did you understand it completely after those 2 days?

BY watching videos and using the textbook a little.

I won't be using this account, in this forum, for awhile. Please direct your questions to the others.

Keron
Reply 59
Can someone give me a reason as to why a rod cannot be uniform?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending