The Student Room Group

No more - Advance Highers for mature students- cuts. discrimination. disgrace

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hekke
Afcourse you dont. But what in the situation when there is 500 people and all of them have four A from highers. And the uni offers only 100 places on a course. How do you think if you were the 501 but with advance highers who would have a better chance.

What course are you wanting to apply for? I can't imagine there's many courses apart from the professions that you'd need over four As for, and universities know the situations of their applicants. They're not going to reject you if you don't have advanced highers. You don't even need to pick them, even if you have them available to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by hekke
There is no place in Scotlend where a mature student would be able to do advance highers next year.
Because of governments pressure to increase pass rates.Advance highers and highers decreases the pass rate greatly. No one told me its about the money.

Discrimination of mature students.
How can I compete with school leaver or students from rest of the UK.

I passed 2 highers last year and this year I am also doing 2 highers and now I cant continue and will lose 2 years of my life. I cant do HNC or NHD because I have to work to support myself and they are full time.

HNC/HND is worthles because you often need not only A but 95 % to be considered and it is the college exam

you can do a HNC part time.

HNC's are not worthless i know two guys who did HNC and got accepted to Glasgow and Strathclyde University.

you only need a B to get into most Universities.
Reply 22
Original post by Dylankj96
I'm in 6th year just now and currently doing 3 advanced highers. Honestly, the advanced higher is overrated: the qualification is, in my experience, largely just a glorified higher.

Then why are you wasting your time on them. just quit.
Reply 23
Original post by TheRabbit
Maybe there isn't a demand for AHs in colleges - I looked at going to college instead of 6th year and there was limited choice and not all colleges offered them anyway and that was a number of years back now.
What is wrong with GCU and Stirling? I clearly said they were just in the first few results when I googled it. Pretty sure other universities are the same.
Do you know that 500 people apply for that one course?

AHs can be a way of meeting entry requirements, but since there are other ways of doing so which are more widely available it is not discriminatory. Different uni applications work differently, but generally your personal statement and stuff is what is important in distinguishing from other people if you meet the entrance requirements.

A levels are just above Highers, below or the same level as AH in level.

Are you even reading my other posts ?
Again and again you have right, back then there was a limited choice (as you mentioned) and theres not going to be any choice at all anymore, do you think its fair if its only because of the pass rate?
And as I mentioned before its not only about AHs theres a trend to cut Highers as well.

There is a demand.
They told me that its because the college needs to increase his pass rate which AHs and Hs greatly affect. (dont know if its true, thats what I was told)
Its not because of the money.(nobody mentioned it)
Its because of government pressure to increase pass rate.
(also what I was told)(which may be because of the money, dont know)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by WeeGuy
you can do a HNC part time.

HNC's are not worthless i know two guys who did HNC and got accepted to Glasgow and Strathclyde University.

you only need a B to get into most Universities.

It depends how you look at them, they are worthless comparing to highers when you want to get in to uni. And thats a fact.

My friend is doing HNC. He needs to get 95% and be in first five in his class to get a place at strathclyde. If he gets 95% and he is 6th then he wont get a place.

There is a limited choice of HNC/HND courses and even less as a part time.
There might not be a HNC/HND( in your town), which you need to do to get in to your chosen course at uni(limited choice). But highers give you a wide range of choices which you can make when applying to uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
You guys dont get it. Its not about how I can get in to uni.
Its not fair that this is happening.It happens because of the wrong reasons. That decision was made 2 weeks ago, just like that. WITHOUT A WARNING (in my college). If I knew, then I would be doing AHs this year from the subjects I need and I would do the rest of my highers required next year.

There is no transition period like with the appeals for higher exams. There was at least 2 years warning or something.

When the demand is to low it means there is not enough students but you can tell that in august not i February.
Original post by hekke
Its not fair that this is happening.It happens because of the wrong reasons. That decision was made 2 weeks ago, just like that. WITHOUT A WARNING (in my college). If I knew, then I would be doing AHs this year from the subjects I need and I would do the rest of my highers required next year.

There is no transition period like with the appeals for higher exams. There was at least 2 years warning or something.

When the demand is to low it means there is not enough students but you can tell that in august not i February.

So bite off our heads for trying to help you.

Yes it doesn't seem right to suddenly stop doing them without any publicised warning and it seems unfair but having a tantrum on the internet isn't going to help things - you need to contact the college, your local MSP etc if you want to make a difference.
You don't know why they've stopped offereing them so ask them why before making allegations which could be untrue that its to do with pass rates. Simply shouting about how its unfair isn't going to get you very far.
Plus you can estimate demand on previous years and this is how they judge whether to put on all courses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hekke

The bottom line is, that you don't need advanced highers to get into university in Scotland! Do more highers next year! Five this year and four next year or something like that is ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by AspiringMedic8
The bottom line is, that you don't need advanced highers to get into university in Scotland! Do more highers next year! Five this year and four next year or something like that is ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

agree i dont know why hekke is so hooked up on Advanced Highers.
Original post by WeeGuy
agree i dont know why hekke is so hooked up on Advanced Highers.

They're not even cuts, it's just a restructuring of the college provision. Most state school pupils don't have a range of advanced highers they wish to do anyway, usually only a few choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending