The Student Room Group

Switching from Law to English at Cambridge?

Hey guys. Basically, I made a monumental cock-up when applying to Cambridge. I applied to do Law and have a place at Caius. But, for the last year or so, I've realised that I desperately don't want to do law- I'd be much happier doing English (my A-Levels are Eng. Lit, History and R.S.)

I know the Tripos system allows you to switch after a year, but I was wondering whether I could switch in Freshers' Week? How should I go about this (if it's possible)?

If I can't switch in the first week, how do I switch after my first year?

How do the Director of Studies feel about this? Would they be angry/disappointed? Is Caius particularly difficult to switch subjects in?

I know there's a few other threads on this topic, but I can't help but feel they are out of date (if I remember correctly...) Any advice from any one who's switched in Cambridge/Caius would be greatly acknowledged!

P.S. I'd appreciate it if you didn't comment "just see how it is, maybe you'll enjoy it". I am very very sure that I wont enjoy Law.
Original post by Narutopolaris
Hey guys. Basically, I made a monumental cock-up when applying to Cambridge. I applied to do Law and have a place at Caius. But, for the last year or so, I've realised that I desperately don't want to do law- I'd be much happier doing English (my A-Levels are Eng. Lit, History and R.S.)

I know the Tripos system allows you to switch after a year, but I was wondering whether I could switch in Freshers' Week? How should I go about this (if it's possible)?

How do the Director of Studies feel about this? Would they be angry/disappointed? Is Caius particularly difficult to switch subjects in?

I know there's a few other threads on this topic, but I can't help but feel they are out of date (if I remember correctly...) Any advice from any one who's switched in Cambridge/Caius would be greatly acknowledged!

P.S. I'd appreciate it if you didn't comment "just see how it is, maybe you'll enjoy it". I am very very sure that I wont enjoy Law.

The university and colleges are generally very amenable to switching subjects in the first few days/weeks. You'd have to talk to the English DoS at Caius as your first port of call. It might even be worth e-mailing them before you get there (but after you've been accepted on results day).

It's not unheard of. Admissions tutors and DoSes tend to trust each other's judgment as to whether an applicant is of sufficient quality to study at Cambridge so I think it'd only be a problem if you were switching from Law to something like Medicine. You'd have to talk to all the right people but I certainly don't think it'd be out of the question to switch.
Original post by PythianLegume
The university and colleges are generally very amenable to switching subjects in the first few days/weeks. You'd have to talk to the English DoS at Caius as your first port of call. It might even be worth e-mailing them before you get there (but after you've been accepted on results day).

Should I email both Directors?
Original post by Theflyingbarney
It's not unheard of. Admissions tutors and DoSes tend to trust each other's judgment as to whether an applicant is of sufficient quality to study at Cambridge so I think it'd only be a problem if you were switching from Law to something like Medicine. You'd have to talk to all the right people but I certainly don't think it'd be out of the question to switch.

How easy is it switch? Do you have an experience of switching? :smile:
Should I email both Directors?

E-mail both in the same message.

It's generally very easy. I know people who have switched and it wasn't a big hassle.
Reply 6
It might even be worth e-mailing them before you get there (but after you've been accepted on results day).

The relief from reading this thread! I'm in a similar situation, and I was thinking of emailing kind of soon-ish. I really want to just get it sorted now - would you advise very strongly against emailing before results?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vernish
The relief from reading this thread! I'm in a similar situation, and I was thinking of emailing kind of soon-ish. I really want to just get it sorted now - would you advise very strongly against emailing before results?

I think that if you e-mail now, they'll just tell you to wait until results.

Haven't done it myself, so I can't tell you exactly how easy it is, but I'm aware of people who have - someone who was supposed to be a fresher lawyer at my college this year switched to economics, for example - so it's certainly a possibility.

Original post by Vernish

I don't think it'd adversely affect your chances if you emailed before results since they've already given you the offer; however PythianLegume has a good point in that they can't do anything about it until it's certain you've actually got in, so you don't really stand to gain anything either. You could perhaps email to ask them what the exact procedure is for switching, but nothing will actually be done about it until your (original) place is confirmed.
Original post by Vernish

Glad to see I'm the not the only one with doubts :biggrin: What subjects are thinking of?
Reply 10
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I don't think it'd adversely affect your chances if you emailed before results since they've already given you the offer; however PythianLegume has a good point in that they can't do anything about it until it's certain you've actually got in, so you don't really stand to gain anything either. You could perhaps email to ask them what the exact procedure is for switching, but nothing will actually be done about it until your (original) place is confirmed.

I think that if you e-mail now, they'll just tell you to wait until results.

Thanks both very much :smile: I think I might contact them just for my own peace of mind. Also slight complication in terms of Student Finance in that I'd (hopefully) be switching from a 3 to a 4 year course...

Glad to see I'm the not the only one with doubts :biggrin: What subjects are thinking of?

Yes, same here! I was feeling so stupid, so am incredibly relieved that someone else is in the same boat. :smile: I'm hoping to switch from History to MML.
Original post by Vernish
Thanks both very much :smile: I think I might contact them just for my own peace of mind. Also slight complication in terms of Student Finance in that I'd (hopefully) be switching from a 3 to a 4 year course...

Yes, same here! I was feeling so stupid, so am incredibly relieved that someone else is in the same boat. :smile: I'm hoping to switch from History to MML.

Oh wow! That's a jump. Which college?
Keep us posted would you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending