The Student Room Group

Geography A2 AQA whether to do or not

At the moment I do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. i feel that Geography is my favourite (and perhaps my strongest), but teacher say that A2 geography is for "humanities people" not so for "sciency people". Is A2 gonna be difficult if the rest of my subjects are sciences even though its my best and favourite subject??

Cheers :smile:
Original post by subject1
At the moment I do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. i feel that Geography is my favourite (and perhaps my strongest), but teacher say that A2 geography is for "humanities people" not so for "sciency people". Is A2 gonna be difficult if the rest of my subjects are sciences even though its my best and favourite subject??

Cheers :smile:

It definitely does become very 'humanities based' at A2. I'm on the Edexcel specification but I presume it's probably a cross-board theme.

It can be tricky to do one humanities subject alongside 2/3 sciences. There's someone in my class who does it and she's struggling this year in comparison to AS, which she got an A for. It's difficult to tell whether it's the level of the work or the quantities of it, because the workload increases significantly at A2.

Still, it's by no means impossible and that's just one example. A lot of people study Geography alongside the sciences and do well in it. I'd recommend asking your teacher if you could perhaps look over some of the A2 work, or perhaps just looking at the specification on the AQA website. If you enjoy it as a subject then it's definitely worth keeping.

Best of luck with your decision!
Reply 2
Does your college offer an option between human and physical geography at A2??
If so, I'd say the physical geography stuff is definitely sciencey, the majority is learning processes like plate tectonics and weather and climate, but you do still have to do a bit of human geography. I chose the human geog stuff (i.e, development and globalisation, etc) because even though I do maths I don't do Biology/Chemistry/Physics and find just learning processes and sciencey stuff quite boring, so yeah I see some aspects of geog as rather science based.
Anyway, if you enjoy something you should continue it, who cares if it isn't 'sciencey', to be honest some unis even count geography as a science.
You haven't even done the AS yet, so you don't need to decide just yet, you never know one of your other subjects might not go as well as you hoped and you might end up wanting to drop one of those instead.
Reply 3
I have looked at the A2 course and plate tectonics is like my favourite subject in the world, weather and globalisation (which is what we are doing) is also my strengths. I would say I am fairly good at writing essays, as all my options subjects in GCSE were essay subjects.

But hey at the end of the day if you enjoy the subject then you would probably do better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest