The Student Room Group

Unsure about medicine

I am a year 11 student and am at a stage where I am unsure about what career to go into. Medicine, journalism or something else. I genuinely feel I will enjoy a wide range of careers, and the two aforementioned are no exception. Does anyone know of any courses that are useful to help someone decide whether medicine is for them or not?
Reply 1
Work experience is better than any course.
Reply 2
Amir Liaquat?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ramzys999
I am a year 11 student and am at a stage where I am unsure about what career to go into. Medicine, journalism or something else. I genuinely feel I will enjoy a wide range of careers, and the two aforementioned are no exception. Does anyone know of any courses that are useful to help someone decide whether medicine is for them or not?

Well surely the big question is what a levels you're planning to take as this could be a deal breaker? But keep options open, if you start some voluntary work (care based/vulnerable groups) that will keep medicine open. I wouldnt worry until after gcse results though! Half way through year 12 7 people in my year wanted to do medicine by the time we hit ucas in year 13 only 3 applied. A lot can depend on results so don't panic over decisions yet theres no huge rush

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What do you know about the two careers? What are the job structures like, what is the work like, what do you need to get into them? Perhaps some simple online research is the place to start.
Reply 5
Work experience!
I remember when I was doing my a levels, I had been curious, but didn't want to commit to 5 years study and be stuck with a career if might hate.
Went to uni, finished and still was unsure, and it was only after traveling a year and doing some real work experience that made me sure medicine was for me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending