The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

English courses at KCL!

Hi everyone

I've applied for the English course, as well as the English with Film Studies course at KCL in late November.

I'm still waiting to hear back, but has anyone got any offers/interviews? And how long was it between applying and receiving news from the uni?

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I applied to read English alone in mid December but am yet to hear anything! I know a few other people that are in the same boat haha
This may sound like a completely rookie thing to ask, but do you know how competitive the King's English course is? I'm assuming very, but I've only really found another 6 people on TSR threads that I know for certain are applying to read the subject there.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PretzelLogic
I applied to read English alone in mid December but am yet to hear anything! I know a few other people that are in the same boat haha
This may sound like a completely rookie thing to ask, but do you know how competitive the King's English course is? I'm assuming very, but I've only really found another 6 people on TSR threads that I know for certain are applying to read the subject there.

Hi! I literally just received an offer for English alone and I applied at the end of November so I'm sure you'll hear soon enough!

KCL has one of the top English departments in the UK and is highly competitive from what I have read!! It's on the league tables at a very good position and was ranked in the Sunday Times at no.1 for graduate employment 2012-2013!

Best of luck with your application! I hope you get good news soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied early November, nothing yet! My top choice as well

Edit: Just saw that you got your offer! Congrats :biggrin: can you tell me what your AS grades/predicted grades are like?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Applied early November, nothing yet! My top choice as well

Edit: Just saw that you got your offer! Congrats :biggrin: can you tell me what your AS grades/predicted grades are like?

Aw thank you! I just replied to another post of yours in a different thread - we must be telepathic haha.

Yes, I thankfully got AAA at AS (English lit, business, drama). I'm predicted AAA at A2. I'm praying I get the grades this year - time to get the head down!

I'm sure you'll hear very soon! How did you get on at AS/predicted? 😊

PS: I noticed you had a QMUL interview! I had mine on the 12th of February. Have you heard back? And if so, how long after your interview? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ccall
Aw thank you! I just replied to another post of yours in a different thread - we must be telepathic haha.

Yes, I thankfully got AAA at AS (English lit, business, drama). I'm predicted AAA at A2. I'm praying I get the grades this year - time to get the head down!

I'm sure you'll hear very soon! How did you get on at AS/predicted? ������

PS: I noticed you had a QMUL interview! I had mine on the 12th of February. Have you heard back? And if so, how long after your interview? ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I noticed! We must be :tongue:

Well done on those grades :biggrin: I didn't do great at AS but I'm predicted A*AB so I suppose KCL is a slightly risky choice for me...

Yep I had an interview with QMUL on 11th December and I had my offer within 5 days :smile: Good luck with yours, although I'm pretty sure you'll get an offer with grades like yours! Is KCL your top choice btw?
Reply 6
Yeah I noticed! We must be :tongue:

Well done on those grades :biggrin: I didn't do great at AS but I'm predicted A*AB so I suppose KCL is a slightly risky choice for me...

Yep I had an interview with QMUL on 11th December and I had my offer within 5 days :smile: Good luck with yours, although I'm pretty sure you'll get an offer with grades like yours! Is KCL your top choice btw?

Thank you! With A*AB predicted you should be fine! That evens out at AAA? I think? And I'm sure your personal statement/reference etc can all reinforce the predictions 😊

Congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet 😖 They said they would let everyone know within two weeks, and it's been a week tomorrow since my interview!

Hoping and praying for good news 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ccall
Hi! I literally just received an offer for English alone and I applied at the end of November so I'm sure you'll hear soon enough!

KCL has one of the top English departments in the UK and is highly competitive from what I have read!! It's on the league tables at a very good position and was ranked in the Sunday Times at no.1 for graduate employment 2012-2013!

Best of luck with your application! I hope you get good news soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! Well done on your offer by the way and thanks, I've got my fingers crossed haha! Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough for other King's English applicants on TSR as I did read up on the Uni's reputation and I found it a bit weird how things were quiet on the English side of things for a place that was doing so well in the field! haha Plus I visited Strand Campus which was simply immaculate! I take it you'll be placing King's as your firm choice? :smile:
Reply 8
Awesome! Well done on your offer by the way and thanks, I've got my fingers crossed haha! Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough for other King's English applicants on TSR as I did read up on the Uni's reputation and I found it a bit weird how things were quiet on the English side of things for a place that was doing so well in the field! haha Plus I visited Strand Campus which was simply immaculate! I take it you'll be placing King's as your firm choice? :smile:

Very good! If I'm blessed with an offer from QM it'll be between KCL and QM. I'll just have to wait until I hear back!

Any work yet on your KCL application? It's been a week today since I had my QM interview - and still no word. 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ccall
Very good! If I'm blessed with an offer from QM it'll be between KCL and QM. I'll just have to wait until I hear back!

Any work yet on your KCL application? It's been a week today since I had my QM interview - and still no word. ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, not as yet but i'm guessing a response form KCL is around the corner by the pace of things! Funnily enough I've applied to QMUL as well, though my interview is on the 26th of this month. (Fun times)

Ah I take it that you'd want to study in London then? I've also got an interview with Warwick, so granted I don't screw that up it should be between them and KCL for me
Original post by ccall
Thank you! With A*AB predicted you should be fine! That evens out at AAA? I think? And I'm sure your personal statement/reference etc can all reinforce the predictions 😊

Congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet 😖 They said they would let everyone know within two weeks, and it's been a week tomorrow since my interview!

Hoping and praying for good news 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really do hope so! The wait is awful, I really hope I hear back by the end of this month.

Don't worry about QMUL, they take up to 2 weeks to get back for some people and you still have a week left! I think the reason they got back to me so quickly was because mine was one of the earlier interview dates, they're probably a lot busier now as they've got all the applications in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Nope, not as yet but i'm guessing a response form KCL is around the corner by the pace of things! Funnily enough I've applied to QMUL as well, though my interview is on the 26th of this month. (Fun times)

Ah I take it that you'd want to study in London then? I've also got an interview with Warwick, so granted I don't screw that up it should be between them and KCL for me

Yeah KCL seem to have spawned into action yesterday and today after a very long period of waiting! Haha

The QMUL interview was quite relaxed. I had a lovely interviewer with a genuine interest, and the university seemed very friendly and welcoming.

Yes I do! I'm actually from Belfast and I've always wanted to hit London haha. I'm sure you'll do great in your Warwick interview as well. KCL has an outstanding reputation internationally and in the UK, but I heard QM has a more caring environment so I'm totally lost!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I really do hope so! The wait is awful, I really hope I hear back by the end of this month.

Don't worry about QMUL, they take up to 2 weeks to get back for some people and you still have a week left! I think the reason they got back to me so quickly was because mine was one of the earlier interview dates, they're probably a lot busier now as they've got all the applications in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you apply for KCL sorry?

I hope QM respond asap to my application as I'm freaking out!! Do you definitely want to study in London then? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ccall
Yeah KCL seem to have spawned into action yesterday and today after a very long period of waiting! Haha

The QMUL interview was quite relaxed. I had a lovely interviewer with a genuine interest, and the university seemed very friendly and welcoming.

Yes I do! I'm actually from Belfast and I've always wanted to hit London haha. I'm sure you'll do great in your Warwick interview as well. KCL has an outstanding reputation internationally and in the UK, but I heard QM has a more caring environment so I'm totally lost!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough! When I visited Strand the campus was set in the most postcard perfect part of the city, with the Thames, Houses of Parliament and the Eye a stone's throw away. Plus the place itself is beaming with character.

Very relieved to hear that about QMUL's interview style! I was fearful of the fact that I'd get an uber-traditional lecturer absolutely grilling me on my lack of knowledge of Shakespeare and other works from the canon so to speak! But the QMUL Campus is pretty nice too, plus the graveyard slap bang in the middle of it adds character too, I guess :L
Reply 14
I also have an offer at King's for English!! I applied on the 5th of November!
Hope you hear back sooooon!
Got the offer, finally! haha
Still waiting :frown:
Still waiting :frown:

I wouldn't worry, I know people that applied later than me that heard about offers weeks before me; guess they're being really erratic with how they respond. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!! :smile:
I wouldn't worry, I know people that applied later than me that heard about offers weeks before me; guess they're being really erratic with how they respond. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!! :smile:

Ah, I know. But it's been almost 18 weeks and they're driving me insane :frown:

What were your predicted/AS grades again? Congrats on the offer btw :smile:
Wow that's crazy! but I'm sure the offer is just 'round the corner! :smile:

My situation was a bit weird, where I stayed back a year so I applied with a A in English and B's in History and Maths as full A Levels.
Currently I'm retaking the history paper that knocked my overall grade down to a B, and fast-tracking Classical Civ in which I was predicted an A in to meet the AAA offer.
I know it's a mess hahaha :biggrin:

and thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply