The Student Room Group

how bad is commuting ?

simple question ?
do you miss out on much of the uni life ?
say imperial commute is 1-2 hours but brunel is on doorstep which is preferred based on commute ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Takes me about a 1:40 hours to get to Uni... one still make friends but are not as close as one would hope to be and also tend to meet less people; that said, other commuters are in the same boat so they make decent friends because they all tend to stick to together.
Even if the university is on your doorstep, people get to know each other from living in halls, so they oft visit each other's flats, so you might only be in a slightly better position than if you were to commute to Imperial, because there is less travel time and also you might still be able to make loads of friends that on sight...
Brunel is going to be my insurance choice I think, and I thought it was great when I went to the open day. But if I was smart enough or in a position to study at Imperial I would choose Imperial, definitely.
Reply 3
It depends on how much you can be around social activities. Like I could have commuted to uni, it was just 50mins on the train plus 10mins walk each side but my last train home would mean leaving the uni area by 10.30pm which limits a lot of social stuff. It's not just about going out to clubs, it's about having the time to spend with people without always having to run off early. If you aren't about it's hard to make friends.
Reply 4
My dad said stopping at home was the biggest mistake of his life - he won't let me when I start in September.
Reply 5
I don't want to commute that much at all that's why I've chosen Warwick since everything is on campus (apart from a dentist)
Reply 6
I would commute 10 hrs to Imperial over Brunel....

2 things suck about commuting, the early mornings and not going back to chill with your mates in your dorms or staying up all night having fun (if you're into fun of course)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
You get extra financing if you study at a London institution no point commuting from so far away especially on your first year.

First year is generally the time you should go all out and be yourself rather than tie yourself to commuting which can be tiresome after a few months.

Won't be cost effective either to stay so far away.
Reply 8
Original post by Padwas
simple question ?
do you miss out on much of the uni life ?
say imperial commute is 1-2 hours but brunel is on doorstep which is preferred based on commute ?

I started uni (in London) while living in Grantham, kept that up for 6 months. 2 hour commute across four trains, twice a day, was normal. Now I feel lucky to be able to get into uni from Stevenage which is just an hour.

As soon as I finish uni, I can finally shout YES to no more commuting!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
takes me about an hour and a half to get in to uni, it isn't too bad really. you do miss out on a bit of stuff but as long as you make an effort to get involved and find some friends who are willing to let you stay over at theirs it is definitely doable. In my freshers week I only slept at home twice, it is normally pretty easy to find people who will let you stay over.
Reply 10
Original post by Seathestars
Brunel is going to be my insurance choice I think, and I thought it was great when I went to the open day. But if I was smart enough or in a position to study at Imperial I would choose Imperial, definitely.

Original post by Ornlu
Takes me about a 1:40 hours to get to Uni... one still make friends but are not as close as one would hope to be and also tend to meet less people; that said, other commuters are in the same boat so they make decent friends because they all tend to stick to together.
Even if the university is on your doorstep, people get to know each other from living in halls, so they oft visit each other's flats, so you might only be in a slightly better position than if you were to commute to Imperial, because there is less travel time and also you might still be able to make loads of friends that on sight...

Original post by 2ndClass
I would commute 10 hrs to Imperial over Brunel....

2 things suck about commuting, the early mornings and not going back to chill with your mates in your dorms or staying up all night having fun (if you're into fun of course)

the problem. Is not getting into imperial most of my family have been there it's just the commute :frown:
Original post by Padwas
the problem. Is not getting into imperial most of my family have been there it's just the commute :frown:

Why can't you get accommodation at Imperial?
Reply 12
so commuting is bad but would you do it for imperial ......or go to brunel ?????????
Reply 13
Original post by Padwas
so commuting is bad but would you do it for imperial ......or go to brunel ?????????

commute for imperial
If you live in London, commuting to say Imperial will not ruin your social life. That goes with all London unis - I know a lot of people who commute and still have good social lives.

But don't commute to Brunel - taking a Met line train everyday there will be hell.
Reply 15
Original post by SecretDuck
If you live in London, commuting to say Imperial will not ruin your social life. That goes with all London unis - I know a lot of people who commute and still have good social lives.

But don't commute to Brunel - taking a Met line train everyday there will be hell.

brunel is 10 mins away by walk lol
imperial is the commute
Original post by Padwas
brunel is 10 mins away by walk lol
imperial is the commute

Oh, didn't see that.

Then, it's possible. I have some classmates who live in Wembley, Uxbridge...etc and they get on fine.
Reply 17
Original post by SecretDuck
Oh, didn't see that.

Then, it's possible. I have some classmates who live in Wembley, Uxbridge...etc and they get on fine.

so you say

imperial > brunel even considering commute .
It will depend on your course, and whether or not you can do some work on the train (or tube or bus).
Reply 19
Original post by barnetlad
It will depend on your course, and whether or not you can do some work on the train (or tube or bus).

finance and accounting at brunel
or
maths and finance at imperial ?
want to get into accounting NOT banking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest