The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University - Ask a student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlexanderCLea
For applicants, offer holders or anyone else who has any questions about Cardiff University. Whether it's accommodation, your course, living in Cardiff or anything else you want to know about, I'll try my best to answer any questions you have!

As an introduction, I'm a first year undergrad studying Chemistry (Masters with Year Abroad) and I live in Talybont South.

Hi I'm going to be studying business in Cardiff in september and was just wondering where the best place to stay is. I've been looking at Talybont south and Talybont gate. where would you suggest the best place to stay would be for things like social stuff. Any help would be great thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 41
Hi, do you know anyone studying geography? What are there thoughts on the course? It seems quite theoretical/philosophical to me, is that true? Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 42
Hello guys

Where can i find Gym+Swimming Pool near to Cardiff University? I would like to have a complete monthly or annual membership. My department is Computer Science and Informatics in Cathays Park near Capitol.

Thanks
Whilst looking at accommodation I noticed that the uni only provides network connection points , when I asked about it on email they said that wifi is in all residences is this true or is the website still correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexanderCLea
For applicants, offer holders or anyone else who has any questions about Cardiff University. Whether it's accommodation, your course, living in Cardiff or anything else you want to know about, I'll try my best to answer any questions you have!

As an introduction, I'm a first year undergrad studying Chemistry (Masters with Year Abroad) and I live in Talybont South.

Hello, I'm looking to go to Cardiff Uni in 2015 to study maths. I was wondering if you knew what the food was like at Trevithick Restaurant. Is there a wide choice? Is it good food? Are the portions large?

Just wondering whether the part catered option was worth it, or whether I would be better of self catering.

Thank You
Reply 45
Hey! this is a really good thread idea and yeah i have a few questions...

I have a confirmed offer from cardiff now and its my firm choice so i guess im going there!

im doing a foundation year in engineering, i felt i needed to "brush up" before i start my first year. I cant decide where to live though, its between senghennydd Hall/Cout and just dont know what to choose, they both seem really convienant so im wondering if each one has certain "pros/cons"
I heard court is really noisey all the time but then on the other hand... im a guy who wants a decent ballance of work and getting ****housed when it calls for it

Any suggestions on where i should apply for?
Exited, On edge but... so Keen to start!

Thanks if you can help!
Reply 46
Original post by Sam242
I cant decide where to live though, its between senghennydd Hall/Cout and just dont know what to choose, they both seem really convienant so im wondering if each one has certain "pros/cons"

I would never recommend either of the senghennydd halls. Yeah they are like 5 min walk from lectures, but they are horrid halls. Like tiny little kitchens, small rooms shared bathrooms (as in the toilet is a cubicle and the shower is a cubicle both in the same room, so you can enjoy having a **** while someone showers right next to you.

House parties don't work well as they are so small which is annoying.

Good thing's are its location and walking distance to town (guess its good for a night out, but taxi usually only costs like £2 each maximum so most people don't mind living further) and there is a Tesco just down the road on, sailsbury road which is alright.

That being said If you want nice halls go Taly but its far away, or if you want equally nice halls go to University hall, which although its really far away, there is a free bus that takes you direct to engineering and its for uni hall students only. Also there are like 600 people at uni halls and they have just as social as taly due to everyone being so isolated.

Your call though, but personally seng halls are pretty dire.
Reply 47
Original post by BelgarionRiva
Whilst looking at accommodation I noticed that the uni only provides network connection points , when I asked about it on email they said that wifi is in all residences is this true or is the website still correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both is available. free wifi in all campus buildings as well
Reply 48
Original post by fareth
Hello guys

Where can i find Gym+Swimming Pool near to Cardiff University? I would like to have a complete monthly or annual membership. My department is Computer Science and Informatics in Cathays Park near Capitol.

Thanks

There is the massive international pool in the bay which is really good, or there is maindy pool right next to talybont which also has a gym. Also there is a gym next to the student union and at Talybont
Reply 49
Original post by hannahc6951
Hey :smile: I have questions!

1. What's the sport like at Cardiff - especially the rowing?
2. Where are the best bars/pubs for students in Cardiff?
3. What is the gym like? Is it particularly expensive?

Rowing is one of the best Sports Cardiff has. My mate did it last year, was a brutal amount of training but worth it he said. Really good group of people as well, like really big socials.

Best bars/pubs? too many to count, I love the Taf which is the student union pub and also they are redeveloping the SU main club, which was amazing last year, people got surprised they decided to upgrade it at all. Its also good as on Wednesdays all the sports socieites do their socials there so its always busy. Other then that there is Glam in the city or retro's (£1 jagerbombs anyone?)

3) Gym is pretty decent as well, one at talybont and two at the main campus area. Also if you join any of the sports societies, you can get discount. Im part of snowsports and managed to get a year gym for £110 down from like £160? something like that, but its worth it
Reply 50
Original post by al3999
Hi, do you know anyone studying geography? What are there thoughts on the course? It seems quite theoretical/philosophical to me, is that true? Thanks for your help :smile:

Cardiff only does Human Geography which is very social study/theoretical based, its nothing to do with environmental geography as that's what earth sciences is. Pretty decent course though, really social.
Anyone know good accommodation for grad students? I'm international so if I accept the offer I'm guaranteed housing.

Any ideas on halls convenient to the med school?
Reply 52
Hello.
Probably a bit strange question but could anybody tell me what is the main difference between self/part-catered accomodation at Cardiff? What types of meals does it involve (breakfast/lunch/evening)?
Original post by penepi
Hello.
Probably a bit strange question but could anybody tell me what is the main difference between self/part-catered accomodation at Cardiff? What types of meals does it involve (breakfast/lunch/evening)?

Basically self catered means you do it all yourself. You have to cook or sort your own breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Part catered means that on weekdays you can go to the uni restaurant and have an evening meal which is cooked for you. You still have to sort out breakfast and lunch and also food on weekends. Hope this has cleared it up for you.
Reply 54
Could anyone get some photos of the senghennydd accommodation other than the ones the website offers?

I really feel i have to go to one of the senghennydd halls/court places as its just good for my course ( engineering ) i have to put that above everything really
I would go to Talybont...it sounds good but its just kinda far
Reply 55
Another annoying Q from me, pardon; when does Cardiff University usually change conditional offers to unconditional? Today, they've verified my final exam results via that SIMS school system and I'm just impatient. :smile:)
It took almost a week for them to change my conditional to unconditional. Just hold on tight. :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by penepi
Another annoying Q from me, pardon; when does Cardiff University usually change conditional offers to unconditional? Today, they've verified my final exam results via that SIMS school system and I'm just impatient. :smile:)

Yeah I got impatient, I was told a week but it was more like 10 days or 2 weeks for me. Don't worry, it will happen : D
Reply 58
Original post by 08knighte
Basically self catered means you do it all yourself. You have to cook or sort your own breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Part catered means that on weekdays you can go to the uni restaurant and have an evening meal which is cooked for you. You still have to sort out breakfast and lunch and also food on weekends. Hope this has cleared it up for you.

If I went to an accommodation which offered the part catering, its an option whether to have it right? its not compulsary that if you live there you must have this little... " addon " for x amount more money?

Thankyou!
Original post by Sam242
If I went to an accommodation which offered the part catering, its an option whether to have it right? its not compulsary that if you live there you must have this little... " addon " for x amount more money?

Thankyou!

Yeah I think so. It would be best to check the price scheme for the accommodation though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending