The Student Room Group

What do you think is slowing down Africa's development?

This is for my Extended Project. It would be really helpful to get a range of ideas :smile:. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Corruption and/or lack of education for the most part (although its development isn't likely to improve if China and India continue to exploit its resources/money).

There are pockets that are improving though (notably Namibia, Gabon, South Africa, Botswana, and Ghana).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lily-May King
This is for my Extended Project. It would be really helpful to get a range of ideas :smile:. Thanks

In my experience, firstly and foremost has to be corruption.

Secondarily, for some reason despite the best thought out 'help people to help themselves' aid programmes, barely any of the local people continue on with them once the aid workers leave. I've no idea why because some of the ones I have worked alongside have basically been a route out of subsistance farming. That, and when they do get extra cash many people just give it all away to family members and the church.
A lot of potential is in that continent, but it would help if you were more specific. Its too big and you're at risk of generalising.

In a lot of continents, the corruption is i big problem. What keeps the cycle going is that those who get rich through these corrupt means tend to send their children abroad to study, and then they either stay abroad so have no chance to try to change things, or they return and are initiated into the way of corruption if you like.
We're talking about a continent that has countries where witch doctors are common and where albino hunting still occurs.

I don't expect to see it become like Futurama any time soon. I had to laugh the other day when they friend tried to convince me, in all seriousness that Africa would have become, in time, developed just like anywhere else such as Europe/Japan etc if it weren't for Imperialism.

Sure, Buddy, let's blame imperialism for state-sanctioned slavery still being present in Togo in 2014 or guys wearing zebra fur murdering cats to help their team win football matches against their rivals......

I don't expect the place to become like Futurama any time soon, OP.
Reply 5
Original post by KimKallstrom
We're talking about a continent that has countries where witch doctors are common and where albino hunting still occurs.

I don't expect to see it become like Futurama any time soon. I had to laugh the other day when they friend tried to convince me, in all seriousness that Africa would have become, in time, developed just like anywhere else such as Europe/Japan etc if it weren't for Imperialism.

Sure, Buddy, let's blame imperialism for state-sanctioned slavery still being present in Togo in 2014 or guys wearing zebra fur murdering cats to help their team win football matches against their rivals......

I don't expect the place to become like Futurama any time soon, OP.

Saudi is there in terms of infrastructure and China is getting there, despite both having outdated beliefs (i.e Wahhabism and medicine using rhino horn).
(edited 10 years ago)
To be honest in my own country Nigeria it's mostly government corruption and ethnic disputes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The primary interest of the west is not the "development" of Africa. The primary goal is one of control and exploitation of their raw materials. Secondly corruption is endemic. Thirdly most countries simply lack sufficient educated people with any kind of stake in the economy.
Reply 8
Original post by Old_Simon
The primary interest of the west is not the "development" of Africa. The primary goal is one of control and exploitation of their raw materials. Secondly corruption is endemic. Thirdly most countries simply lack sufficient educated people with any kind of stake in the economy.

This. People just want the money.
Reply 9
Original post by No Man
Saudi is there in terms of infrastructure and China is getting there, despite both having outdated beliefs (i.e Wahhabism and medicine using rhino horn).

China and Saudi are countries though, with controlling authoritative governments as opposed to the entire continent of Africa and its numerous countries/governments all with their own separate issues.
Like people have already said

Corruption and greedy people.

In some parts of Africa, you can get the dirt poor and filthy rich
The corruption is the biggest problem - as it stands the divide between rich and poor is rapidly widening, with the top end of African society developing quite rapidly but the bottom end going virtually nowhere. I'd wager a big reason for its particular prevalence in Africa is that in contrast to historical development elsewhere, most of the money and technology that's supporting African progress is coming into the continent from the outside rather than the inside. As it stands, Africa has a lot of natural resources but not much money or technology to do anything with them, whereas other nations from other continents have a lot more money/tech and want (but don't need) the resources. This outside source of support means that there's less need to keep the populace happy and well-treated - as long as you still control the resources the money will keep flowing in. This leads to Africa almost 'skipping stages' in development - again influences from the outside mean that the small top-end of each economy is rapidly rising into the services sector and the like while the rest is stuck in agriculture and limited industry due to the lack of funding and technology trickling down. This is all in contrast with, say, the development of Europe - there there isn't really a big external source of money so a big portion of the financial and technological growth has to come from the internal industrial progress before you can get ahead of the game with a superior product.
Reply 12
Original post by Theflyingbarney
The corruption is the biggest problem - as it stands the divide between rich and poor is rapidly widening, with the top end of African society developing quite rapidly but the bottom end going virtually nowhere. I'd wager a big reason for its particular prevalence in Africa is that in contrast to historical development elsewhere, most of the money and technology that's supporting African progress is coming into the continent from the outside rather than the inside. As it stands, Africa has a lot of natural resources but not much money or technology to do anything with them, whereas other nations from other continents have a lot more money/tech and want (but don't need) the resources. This outside source of support means that there's less need to keep the populace happy and well-treated - as long as you still control the resources the money will keep flowing in. This leads to Africa almost 'skipping stages' in development - again influences from the outside mean that the small top-end of each economy is rapidly rising into the services sector and the like while the rest is stuck in agriculture and limited industry due to the lack of funding and technology trickling down. This is all in contrast with, say, the development of Europe - there there isn't really a big external source of money so a big portion of the financial and technological growth has to come from the internal industrial progress before you can get ahead of the game with a superior product.

I like this answer - i think inequality is probably another major factor, and that modern technology allows entrenchment of that inequality far beyond that which was seen under european development.
Lack of accessible education, corrupt leaders, cash crops, dependency on foreign aid...
In some areas, I think Islam really slows down development there. People will call me a racist for saying that but it's true.
Original post by thatsokthough
In some areas, I think Islam really slows down development there. People will call me a racist for saying that but it's true.

Perhaps fundamentalist beliefs in religions such as Christianity and Islam is more of a symptom than a cause of backwardness.
Original post by Moosferatu
Perhaps fundamentalist beliefs in religions such as Christianity and Islam is more of a symptom than a cause of backwardness.

Also, attitudes towards contraception in the Catholic church.
Original post by Lily-May King

I think it's too big a topic for a doctorate, never mind an extended project.

You'd be better served in concentrating on a specific issue. The idea of a resource curse is an interesting one, since no-one imagines intuitively that having a large scale natural resource, e.g. oil, could ever be a bad thing.

My strong suggestion is that you get ahold of this terrific and non-technical book by one of the world's best regarded development economists: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottom-Billion-Poorest-Countries-Failing/dp/0195374630/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by No Man

Name a Chinese outdated belief that is still practiced. Not out of custom, but where people genuinely believe in something. Medicine does not count, I know countless cases where western medicine has failed yet the Chinese Herbal medicines has worked miracle, it does actually work, out of thousands of years of experimentation and experience.
Reply 19
Original post by KongShou
Name a Chinese outdated belief that is still practiced. Not out of custom, but where people genuinely believe in something. Medicine does not count, I know countless cases where western medicine has failed yet the Chinese Herbal medicines has worked miracle, it does actually work, out of thousands of years of experimentation and experience.

Have you tested medicine that uses rhino horn? Herbal medicines aren't the same, since the plants have various substances/chemicals in them, while rhino horn is essentially no different to a giant toe/finger nail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending