The Student Room Group

South East gets a bit of water. National Emergency,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Northerners call me a Southerner, Southerners call me a Northerner. What am I?

Hint: My region is ignored by both and lumped in with the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for the south-west and Wales. Just as deprived as the north and few people realise Cornwall is the same distance from London as Cumbria.
Original post by Rakas21
Purely for my amusement but that's England reduced as much as it can be while still retaining the important economic counties and those surrounding..

uktowns.jpguktowns.jpg

Up for that. Means we get Oxford and Cambridge all to ourselves. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of the replies in this thread are hilarious. Why is there a North vs South issue thing :tongue:

I've heard that people are poor up there and educationally don't do aswell. And apparently they have these funny accents?
Just kidding, I was born up there, and I think it was pretty nice.
The North tramples the South in terms of Tourism..

I hear Sheffields a lovely tourist retreat..
Most journalists live in the South East, most Tory MPs represent the south. Of course it's going to get more coverage.
Reply 65
Original post by Steezy
I'm not. I'm just arguing against the OP calling the entire South 'spongers'.

I respectfully suggest you go back and read the OP. Nowhere did he call southerners "spongers". His point was only that previous flooding in the north has been ignored and there's a clear southern bias in the media.
Reply 66
Original post by River85
I respectfully suggest you go back and read the OP. Nowhere did he call southerners "spongers". His point was only that previous flooding in the north has been ignored and there's a clear southern bias in the media.

I respectfully suggest you read subsequent posts from the op where he clearly and repeatedly refers to southerners as spongers
Original post by scrotgrot
Same for the south-west and Wales. Just as deprived as the north and few people realise Cornwall is the same distance from London as Cumbria.

The north-south divide is one of the most frustrating areas for discussion. Not just because it totally ignores the distinct region in the middle, but also lumps the south west in with the home counties. It shows scant disregard to all of these places.
Reply 68
Original post by Steezy
I respectfully suggest you read subsequent posts from the op where he clearly and repeatedly refers to southerners as spongers

No he doesn't. The OP hasn't posted again in this thread. It was another member who began referring to southerners as scroungers, not the OP.
Probably because it is more than "a bit of water."

The Met office has called the storms highly unusual, pointing out that the period from December to January was "...one of, if not the most, exceptional periods of winter rainfall in at least 248 years." In fact, in a summary on this winter's storms, the Met Office uses words such as 'exceptional' and 'unusual' alot.

So I think that the fact that this is has been a very active winter, with some of the worst weather events in a long time occuring is perhaps why it is all over the news.
Original post by InnerTemple
Probably because it is more than "a bit of water."

The Met office has called the storms highly unusual, pointing out that the period from December to January was "...one of, if not the most, exceptional periods of winter rainfall in at least 248 years." In fact, in a summary on this winter's storms, the Met Office uses words such as 'exceptional' and 'unusual' alot.

So I think that the fact that this is has been a very active winter, with some of the worst weather events in a long time occuring is perhaps why it is all over the news.

The focus has seemed to be more on the Home Counties than the south west where railway lines have been washed away. More people live in the former, granted, but the damage in the latter is more severe. Coverage should reflect this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
The focus has seemed to be more on the Home Counties than the south west where railway lines have been washed away. More people live in the former, granted, but the damage in the latter is more severe. Coverage should reflect this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard more about Somerset than the Home Counties when I've read about the flooding. Not so much about Devon or Cornwall mind you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending