The Student Room Group

Having trouble with choices! Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by H_Aple
Do English Bacc, and then something you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English Bacc has been discounted now
Reply 21
Original post by majmuh24
Yep, and even if you do, I wouldn't choose it over other subjects like languages or humanities simply cos it's so specialized and doesn't really keep your options open.

Although, saying that, I would have loved the chance to do Comp Sci rather than ****ty IT, I hate it so much :angry:

IKR!:angry: but yeah humanities or language (don't really need to do both) + comp sci + tri sci + business is what I would've done if offered
History, geography and a modern language are the 3 that will open up the most doors, unless you want to go into some thing artsy
Reply 23
When it came to me picking my options, i had to think about my future, what do you want to do? What will help me achieve my goals? For example, picking Drama and you want to be a Marine Biologist, waste of a GCSE. So therefore do something that will help you.
But if you don't know what you want to be go for something that will keep your doors open, The English Baccalaureate (EBacc) seems to be the best route these days, with this you can get into nearly every university when the time comes, and it does keep them doors open. The English Baccalaureate (EBacc) entails

English

Mathematics

History or Geography (humanity)

The Sciences (Chemistry, Biology and Physics)

A language (French, German, whatever your school offers you)

This is the route i took and for me it seems to be paying off, its lot of work, especially the Language part, but in the end the result are more acceptable and they give you the doors which need to be open as you more from being a child into a adult.
Reply 24
I am taking IT, and I am really regretting it, Every Friday, 2 hours, back to back, its so boring, and useless. No help to me at all.
Original post by AngelPhys
Bit too much exaggeration there... GSCEs aren't 'the most important things you will do in your life'; you don't need the qualifications to do well.

Hello,

Firstly, could you at least spell GCSE correctly? Also, yes they are! Universities focus more on your GCSE Grades than your A Level grades - although they are highly important too. You can't go into further education, generally, without 5 A*-C grades (2 of which have to be in English Language and Maths).

Thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by OliverWilson
Hello,

Firstly, could you at least spell GCSE correctly? Also, yes they are! Universities focus more on your GCSE Grades than your A Level grades - although they are highly important too. You can't go into further education, generally, without 5 A*-C grades (2 of which have to be in English Language and Maths).

Thanks!

I did, didn't I? That's strange, I heard they said they care more about the A levels.
Original post by Lord Pants
I have to choose my choices for GCSE now, and I'm having trouble with choosing. My school says these options are compulsory:
-English
-English Literature
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-MFL (Modern Foreign Languages)
-PE
-PSHE
-Citizenship
-RE/RS

I get to choose 3 optional GCSE's out of:

-Art & Design
-Business (BTEC)
-Child Development
-Computer Science
-Construction (BTEC)
-Dance
-Drama
-Economics
-French
-Geography
-German
-History
-ICT (BTEC)
-ICT (GCSE)
-Media Studies
-Music
-Performing Arts (BTEC) - Music Theatre
-PE (BTEC)
-PE (GCSE)
-Sociology
-Technology - Food
-Technology - Graphics
-Technology - Product Design
-Technology - Resistant Materials/ Woodwork
-Technology - Textiles

All I want to find out is which of those is most useful. Thanks!

for your modern foreign language choice i would pick french over german as it is more widely spoken and is recognised as a very traditional academic subject, however if you prefer german, go for german!
for the other choices i would suggest history and geography or possibly business as these are all well respected subjects that give you lots of options for the future whereas picking a subject like technology restricts you more, however if you want a career in that are or paticulary enjoy it go for that! id just suggest don't pick many 'softer' subjects!

Quick Reply

Latest