The Student Room Group

New format of interviews in Multiple Mini Interviews(MMIs) for medicine

Since the University of Manchester has changed the interviewing method from the group interviews to his MMI format recently, I wonder if anybody can share their experience here?
Reply 1
I've experienced both MMIs and a panel interview, and I preferred the MMI.

You have multiple stations in an MMI with different examiners each time, so it doesn't matter too much if you mess up in one station - you can make up for it in the others. I came out of my MMI not quite sure how I'd done, because there were so many different stations, whereas after my panel interview I kept going over things I could have said instead.

I also felt my MMI tested more of my abilities; each station was different so I think they got a clearer picture of me - some stations involved my PS while others involved communicating with patients etc.

Everyone I've spoken to (admittedly my sample size is very small) has said that they enjoyed their MMI.

I suppose one drawback was that I found it difficult to get into the flow of things with the MMI - each time I started a new station I began feeling jittery and nervous all over again. Whereas with the panel interview I began to relax and build a rapport with the interviewers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Whilst not medical school admissions as such I've always preferred panel interviews to MMIs. There isn't as much time with the MMI stations to develop rapport.
Reply 3
Original post by Angury
I've experienced both MMIs and a panel interview, and I preferred the MMI.

You have multiple stations in an MMI with different examiners each time, so it doesn't matter too much if you mess up in one station - you can make up for it in the others. I came out of my MMI not quite sure how I'd done, because there were so many different stations, whereas after my panel interview I kept going over things I could have said instead.

I also felt my MMI tested more of my abilities; each station was different so I think they got a clearer picture of me - some stations involved my PS while others involved communicating with patients etc.

Everyone I've spoken to (admittedly my sample size is very small) has said that they enjoyed their MMI.

I suppose one drawback was that I found it difficult to get into the flow of things with the MMI - each time I started a new station I began feeling jittery and nervous all over again. Whereas with the panel interview I began to relax and build a rapport with the interviewers.

Angury, thanks for sharing! I myself did experience MMI, but only once. I do agree with you in which you stated that once you get comfortable, it's time to change the station. (Maybe that's the purpose of MMI's? haha) Anyway, was there any case scenarios in any of the stations?
Reply 4
Original post by 345rty
Whilst not medical school admissions as such I've always preferred panel interviews to MMIs. There isn't as much time with the MMI stations to develop rapport.

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending