The Student Room Group

science controlled assessment

Can someone please help me???I have got an E in my controlled assessment for Core Science but been achieving Bs in my mock exams can I still get a good mark an A or B in science??really stressed out!!!
Reply 1
Surely you can redo the controlled assessment? They have to be submitted in May, don't they?
Reply 2
I was told I can't resit them and I have to take my chances in exam..... Just want to make sure I've not totally ruined my chances of achieving an A or B
Reply 3
How much is the controlled assessment worth? It varies between exam boards. I am assuming it's the usual 25%, realistically, you'd be able to achieve a low B with good marks in the papers I think. Unfortunately, something like an E for 25% brings you down. As I said the best chance really is to resit the controlled assessment and I would have though that surely your school wants the best for you? I'd personally consult the head of science to express my worries. I'm sure if you put your chances in however, you could probably achieve that B. Core Science is the one you do in year ten so next year, you should do additional science? So you still have the chance of attaining an A- A* in a scientific GCSE if you fancied doing it in the future. Good luck for your exams and I hope this situation is resolvable.
Original post by Saharissa
Can someone please help me???I have got an E in my controlled assessment for Core Science but been achieving Bs in my mock exams can I still get a good mark an A or B in science??really stressed out!!!

Do you do Single, Double or Triple science?

In all of these cases, the CA is worth as much as one exam, so it varies between different types.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by majmuh24
Do you do Single, Double or Triple science?

In all of these cases, the CA is worth as much as one exam, so it varies between different types.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She said 'Core Science' so I assume it's either single or double. I believe in these cases, each unit is worth 25% therefore there is still 75% of the course to be completed which could improve the grade aspect if hard work is put in.
Reply 6
It is Core Science, controlled assessment is worth 25%, I really wanted to do well but I had two controlled assessments on the same day so concentrated on the English one more as I generally do well in Science, big mistake on my part! Just wish I'd prepared for it more... I'll just have to hope I can still pull it up to a B, if that's possible..
Reply 7
Ah, I see. I still don't see why your school is avoiding a resit, I know from experience (did it in January this year) that the Science controlled assessment isn't that long in comparison to others, surely it is possible for you to do it at lunchtimes? Especially if you're capable of an A/A* in science! You probably could get a B, you just need to ace the other 75% of the course! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest