The Student Room Group

What do I need to do to get in to Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

A dilemma attaching to applying for Human Sciences at Oxford is that the course will necessarily be quite different from your other 4 choices, at least a couple of which won't even share the name. That obliges you to wonder how much you want to 'go for it' in your personal statement, something which wouldn't attend an application for, say, English. "My interest in studying English stems from...", does for everywhere. "My interest in studying human sciences..." will only seem peculiar to the admissions tutor at Bristol who understands this to be an application for the BSc in Biological Anthropology.

A safe path might be to look at Oxford's suggested pre-reading list (it is here: http://www.ihs.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/introductory-reading/ ) and choose some several books that you can mention in the PS such that it is clear to Oxford that you're on their page without its being alienatingly obvious to everyone else that in your mind it's Oxford or bust.
Original post by kathy4
I am currently in my AS year studying English Lang, Maths, Biology and Psychology. I have 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and I am planning to apply to Oxford to study Human Sciences. I want to give myself the best possible chance of getting an offer from them so should I be doing anything now that I could put on my application when the time comes? For example, some kind of internship or work experience? Thanks!

As far as I'm aware, Oxford place a lot of emphasis on their admissions tests. I'm not sure if there is one for Human Sciences, but I know a friend of mine got 8A*s and 4A's at GCSE and then 4As at AS, but didn't get an interview because he (self admittedly) did badly on the PAT. Have a look into admissions tests, and as mentioned above, get some summer schools/work experience under your belt. Oxbridge and Russel group schools will be the best option, but if that's not possible, anything will do.
Reply 22
Original post by Mike_123
Don't worry about work experience.

Work hard to get all As (preferably high As, which makes your life easier at A2). If you get 90%+ each of your subjects, you should get 4A* predictions. Then after your summer exams work hard to prepare for your entrance exams and interview.

Okay, I'll definitely concentrate on that then. Thanks! Does anyone know of what the interview will involve?
Reply 23
Original post by JoshBedford
As far as I'm aware, Oxford place a lot of emphasis on their admissions tests. I'm not sure if there is one for Human Sciences, but I know a friend of mine got 8A*s and 4A's at GCSE and then 4As at AS, but didn't get an interview because he (self admittedly) did badly on the PAT. Have a look into admissions tests, and as mentioned above, get some summer schools/work experience under your belt. Oxbridge and Russel group schools will be the best option, but if that's not possible, anything will do.

I'm not 100% sure if there is or isn't an entrance test for Human Sciences. I'm edging towards no, but I'll have to find out. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Are you Shaw?
A/A*s

or alternatively,

How much do your parents earn?

lol what does her parents' income have to do with it?
Reply 25
Original post by cambio wechsel
A dilemma attaching to applying for Human Sciences at Oxford is that the course will necessarily be quite different from your other 4 choices, at least a couple of which won't even share the name. That obliges you to wonder how much you want to 'go for it' in your personal statement, something which wouldn't attend an application for, say, English. "My interest in studying English stems from...", does for everywhere. "My interest in studying human sciences..." will only seem peculiar to the admissions tutor at Bristol who understands this to be an application for the BSc in Biological Anthropology.

A safe path might be to look at Oxford's suggested pre-reading list (it is here: http://www.ihs.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/introductory-reading/ ) and choose some several books that you can mention in the PS such that it is clear to Oxford that you're on their page without its being alienatingly obvious to everyone else that in your mind it's Oxford or bust.

Yes, I was worried about this. I'm applying to other universities, of course, but Oxford is the one I am most concerned about. I'm not expecting to get in - I just want to give myself the best possible chance. I'll take a look at those books, thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by Mr A Smith
lol what does her parents' income have to do with it?

well you're obviously not as cynical as i am
Original post by Are you Shaw?
well you're obviously not as cynical as i am

No need to be cynical. You made a fair comment in some ways. Most people will agree that social, cultural and economic capital are important factors in explaining educational attainment, which will to some extent be reflectedin Oxbridge admissions. It’s needlessly unfair and therefore should be addressed, but we shouldn’t forget that selection is largely based on more indirect academic indicators such as passion, consistency and intellectual flexibility.
Original post by kathy4
I'm not 100% sure if there is or isn't an entrance test for Human Sciences. I'm edging towards no, but I'll have to find out. Thank you :smile:
There is no subject specific test for this course, but you are allowed to submit a short additional statement direct to Oxford about why you want to study this subject, see: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/human_sciences/human_sciences_how.html
NEED A* but As are ok

Quick Reply

Latest