The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Born_Survivor
Maybe destroy is too much, but would you not agree that it does not help a child's education and it may hold them back somewhat? Please surely your not that blinkered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say so. A school may be well prepared to help the children that do not know how to speak English. I would agree, though, if otherwise.
Reply 21
So if foreign languages are not compulsory they can't be deemed that important not to the average child they are not that's for sure. Do really think up and down the country, children who are struggling at school are secretly leaning Polish or Urdu in their spare time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Will reply in full later, but because they are not compulsory surely this means they're not "infecting the education system"

I'd imagine half the reason they're no longer compulsory is because the English have such a terrible attitude towards language learning which in turn brings down grades in school. If people were properly taught the value of a language then they wouldn't do so piss poor in it and schools wouldn't have to axe it due to poor performance.

Besides if you really want to remain very ethnocentric then I suggest pushing for Welsh and Scottish and Irish in our schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
So if foreign languages are not compulsory they can't be deemed that important not to the average child they are not that's for sure. Do really think up and down the country, children who are struggling at school are secretly leaning Polish or Urdu in their spare time?

Children have an innate ability to acquire multiple languages at a young age. They will acquire knowledge by merely conversing with someone of a different language.

There's lots of things not compulsory at that age, and there's simply too many languages for them to be made to learn a particular one. Which is why it's normally optional.
Reply 23
I'm pretty sure this situation doesn't happen frequently enough for it to be a problem.
Because the people who are pro-immigration tend to not live in areas where immigrant children go to.

Their children will go to private schools or nice middle-class areas where the children are 99% or more white British.

That is the main reason.
Reply 25
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Because the people who are pro-immigration tend to not live in areas where immigrant children go to.

Their children will go to private schools or nice middle-class areas where the children are 99% or more white British.

That is the main reason.

*******s. I live in Camberwell. Could not be more of an area full of immigrants.
Original post by gladders
*******s. I live in Camberwell. Could not be more of an area full of immigrants.

Your point being?
Reply 27
I wish we as a nation would stop blaming immigrants because we are a country in decline. Blaming immigrants isn't going to fix our education system, it isn't going to build more housing, it won't reduce waiting times in hospitals. The truth is, it isn't going to contribute anything to society other than hate and ignorance.
Reply 28
Your point being?

Your own words:

Your own words:

Yet again, I shall complain about stupid lefties not being able to read. I used an important word in my statement that word being "tend".

Do you need to go and look at a dictionary to understand the meaning of that word in the specific context I just used it in?

So in conclusion, you post was pointless.
Reply 30
Yet again, I shall complain about stupid lefties not being able to read. I used an important word in my statement that word being "tend".

Do you need to go and look at a dictionary to understand the meaning of that word in the specific context I just used it in?

So in conclusion, you post was pointless.

Well if we're going to obsess over the word 'tend', you should know that hostility to immigration actually 'tends' to be in those places where immigration hasn't penetrated that much. People who are used to seeing people from other countries tend not to get their knickers in a bunch over it.
Well if we're going to obsess over the word 'tend', you should know that hostility to immigration actually 'tends' to be in those places where immigration hasn't penetrated that much. People who are used to seeing people from other countries tend not to get their knickers in a bunch over it.

Because you, as a typical leftie attempt to cover up general trends with personal experience, which does not represent the whole.

Wealthier people tend to be more pro-immigration.

Wealthier people tend to live in places that immigrants don't live.

This really is quite simple for you to get your precious head around.
Reply 32
Because you, as a typical leftie attempt to cover up general trends with personal experience, which does not represent the whole.

Who says I'm a leftie? You haven't inquired into any more of my beliefs beyond immigration, which does not necessarily split along party lines. I am certainly not a 'leftie' at any rate, Mr Spongebob McPigeonhole.

Wealthier people tend to be more pro-immigration.

Wealthier people tend to live in places that immigrants don't live.

This really is quite simple for you to get your precious head around.

I don't think anything you claim here is in any way true. There are wealthy people who oppose immigration, and they are in the Tory Party. There are poor people who oppose it, who are in the Labour Party. There are both who support it as well, in both parties.
Reply 33
Original post by KingKumar
I'm pretty sure this situation doesn't happen frequently enough for it to be a problem.

You'd be surprised.
Some family friends of mine used to live near Heathrow.
When they were at primary school, they, being born in the country, were in the vast minority. In fact it was so bad they there were only about 20-30 british people in the entire school of about 300. Apparently many of these kids couldn't speak English well at all, some couldn't speak a single word.
They eventually moved out of the area because it got so bad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who says I'm a leftie? You haven't inquired into any more of my beliefs beyond immigration, which does not necessarily split along party lines. I am certainly not a 'leftie' at any rate, Mr Spongebob McPigeonhole.

I don't think anything you claim here is in any way true. There are wealthy people who oppose immigration, and they are in the Tory Party. There are poor people who oppose it, who are in the Labour Party. There are both who support it as well, in both parties.

No point debating with you, as you live in a dream world of flowers and happy thoughts immune from logic and common sense.
Original post by Bloxorus
You'd be surprised.<br />
Some family friends of mine used to live near Heathrow.<br />
When they were at primary school, they, being born in the country, were in the vast minority. In fact it was so bad they there were only about 20-30 british people in the entire school of about 300. Apparently many of these kids couldn't speak English well at all, some couldn't speak a single word.<br />
They eventually moved out of the area because it got so bad...<br />
<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

Which is a form of ethnic cleansing.
Reply 36
No point debating with you, as you live in a dream world of flowers and happy thoughts immune from logic and common sense.

Funny, seeing as I'm the one who cited sources on page 1 contradicting the assumptions of the OP. I guess you've just got butthurt that I don't fit into your blinkered view of the world.
Funny, seeing as I'm the one who cited sources on page 1 contradicting the assumptions of the OP. I guess you've just got butthurt that I don't fit into your blinkered view of the world.

Invalid sources.

Enjoy the future riots :smile:
Reply 38
Invalid sources.

Enjoy the future riots :smile:

Invalid! Because you say so?

Now who's living in a dream world of flowers and happy thoughts immune from logic and common sense.
Original post by Old_Simon
I would stream all non English speakers into separate classes isolated from the mainstream until they qualify for proper teaching.

So the expense of the school increases? So less is spent on natives, brilliant!

Latest