The Student Room Group

how do you prepare for edexcel a chemistry practicals

is there any way to prepare for them/ if there are people who have done it, could you please tell me what kind of things i need to look out for!!
Reply 1
I've done two, they're pretty easy, i've gained full marks on both. The first one I did was a titration, it was pretty basic, the instructions are really specific and walk you through the practical, it really is nothing to worry about. I'm sure if you watch a titration video you will know exactly what to do. Also one of the questions asks you to work out the enthalpy change per mole, remember the value will be negative (exothermic reaction) it asks for 3 significant figures also, just make sure you read the question and instructions carefully, it highly likely you've done this experiment with your teacher already, your answer should be around -50-56 kj/mol. From what I can remember it was HCl + NaOH.

The second I did was identifying unknown substances, this is also easy, trust me. I was so scared but really it was nothing. It will ask you to do the flame test, carbonates test etc. Know how to form ionic equations (last questions) and remember colours from the flame test (specific to edexcel, can be found in the book). That's about it really Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest