The Student Room Group

How to reduce shiny/oily skin on guys?

Hi I was just wondering how I could reduce shiny/oily skin. I'm a guy (if that makes any difference in what I should use), and my acne has recently cleared up really well after I've started washing and cleansing my face with tea tree oil products. Although, under lights my skin looks very shiny. I'm guessing I'll need to use some products to reduce the oil, does anybody have any good ones they can recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Does your skin feel tight after cleansing? If so, perhaps change that cleanser because by striping the skin of oil, the skin begins to over produce oil to compensate! Try using anything from La Roche Posay (their Effaclar Micro-exfoliant toner is good and their Effaclar matte moisturiser saved my oily skin- it has an oil absorbing property which lasts!).

If you don't want to change your routine, try using oil blotting sheets - cost a few quid at Boots and they absorb shine leaving your skin matte. The boots ones are really good because they contain salicylic acid which helps clear pores which will prevent spots and blackheads!

Also bare in mind that men's skin is thicker and so, more prone to producing oil than a women's skin.
Original post by mr_connery
Hi I was just wondering how I could reduce shiny/oily skin. I'm a guy (if that makes any difference in what I should use), and my acne has recently cleared up really well after I've started washing and cleansing my face with tea tree oil products. Although, under lights my skin looks very shiny. I'm guessing I'll need to use some products to reduce the oil, does anybody have any good ones they can recommend?

Even though I'm a girl.. I used to have extremely oily skin!

I never used to moisturise after cleansing and toning because I thought it would make my skin more oily but I was wrong. I now cleanse, tone and moisturise and my skin is under control :smile:

Maybe try a translucent powder. I use Clinique transparency -£20 and it doesn't look like make up, it just stops my face from looking shiny x
There are a various products which are available in the market. As, I am not guys but I know because my brother uses Mens Skin Care products from osmiumformen and I can see the affect. I think you should also consider it for,m if you wish to use then you can. :smile:
Reply 4
For making your skin light you can use Garenier face cream with lime extract that would make less oil in your skin.
Superdrug face masks do the trick for me.
In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
Reply 8
Original post by mr_connery

My boyfriend has similar skin to you and I recently got him the nutrogena clean and clear oily skin wash and overnight blackhead stuff and its worked amazingly well. His skin is much less oily.
Original post by shiggydiggy
In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

PRSOM. Same as my morning routine.

I love you.

It is not good to apply an ice pack to the skin. Ice is constricting the pores, preventing your product from working as efficiently because the product cannot enter the constricted pores - well, not as effectively as dilated pores.
Original post by Feartheunknown
It is not good to apply an ice pack to the skin. Ice is constricting the pores, preventing your product from working as efficiently because the product cannot enter the constricted pores - well, not as effectively as dilated pores.

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?
Reply 13
This stuff is fantastic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006SXDA7S - Loreal Charcoal face wash. It is pure black so it looks pretty weird, but use it every morning and you'll soon notice the difference.

I have really oily skin, and because of this I get a lot of blackheads, but after a week of this on a daily basis they had all but gone.

I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about it.
Definitely use an oil-free moisturiser. If you don't your body will produce more oil to compensate for what it's lost during cleansing (but I'm almost certain another noter has stated this!) and I also agree at the blotting papers. They're cheap and cheerful and will do the job :smile:
Reply 15
A great tip is to lightly brush your face with talcum powder... sounds silly but it works as a clear face powder which blots up any oil :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Feartheunknown
Does your skin feel tight after cleansing? If so, perhaps change that cleanser because by striping the skin of oil, the skin begins to over produce oil to compensate! Try using anything from La Roche Posay (their Effaclar Micro-exfoliant toner is good and their Effaclar matte moisturiser saved my oily skin- it has an oil absorbing property which lasts!).

If you don't want to change your routine, try using oil blotting sheets - cost a few quid at Boots and they absorb shine leaving your skin matte. The boots ones are really good because they contain salicylic acid which helps clear pores which will prevent spots and blackheads!

Also bare in mind that men's skin is thicker and so, more prone to producing oil than a women's skin.

The only thing that controls sebum production are hormones, mainly testosterone and DHT which is why men often have oilier skin than women. It appears to produce more oil when you wash a lot because you're getting rid of the top layer (all the dead skin cells etc) which absorb a lot of the oil so when that isn't there it's literally just a pool of sebum with nothing to absorb it.

& on topic... I found lo'real anti-shine mattifying moisturising gel helped a lot for oiliness & shine but I don't think it's moisturising enough :frown: I only use it now if im going out somewhere.

edit: Oh and pure aloe vera gel works great too but i only use it once-twice a week.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lewk
The only thing that controls sebum production are hormones, mainly testosterone and DHT which is why men often have oilier skin than women. It appears to produce more oil when you wash a lot because you're getting rid of the top layer (all the dead skin cells etc) which absorb a lot of the oil so when that isn't there it's literally just a pool of sebum with nothing to absorb it.

& on topic... I found lo'real anti-shine mattifying moisturising gel helped a lot for oiliness & shine but I don't think it's moisturising enough :frown: I only use it now if im going out somewhere.

edit: Oh and pure aloe vera gel works great too but i only use it once-twice a week.

Men have thicker, firmer skin than women's because of testosterone in the blood making the epidermis thicker, providing it with more collagen and elastin. But having thicker skin there are more active oil-producing sebaceous glands which can be controlled by diet, products etc. Your dead skin doesn't absorb the sebum - if anything it can help clog sebaceous glands.
Try La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat (you can get it at Boots). Daisy xxx
Also - maybe give blotting sheets a try.. You can get them at the Body Shop and other places, they soak up oil and you can use them throughout the day. Daisy xxx

Quick Reply

Latest