The Student Room Group

Jobs with an English Language degree?

Which jobs could I get with a degree in English language?
Could I be a journalist/writer for a magazine or would I need some kind of creative writing degree/a journalism degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could be a teacher.
I dont think there is a direct route into journalism...look out for internships while your are studying and build yourself up from there
Reply 2
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Which jobs could I get with a degree in English language?
Could I be a journalist/writer for a magazine or would I need some kind of creative writing degree/a journalism degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely could be a journalist- most journalists don't study journalism at university. You may need a postgraduate qualification in journalism though and plenty of experience writing for the student newspaper and through internships.

Beyond journalism you could do a Masters in Speech and Language Therapy if that sort of thing interests you or apply to general grad schemes.
Original post by jelly1000
You definitely could be a journalist- most journalists don't study journalism at university. You may need a postgraduate qualification in journalism though and plenty of experience writing for the student newspaper and through internships.

Beyond journalism you could do a Masters in Speech and Language Therapy if that sort of thing interests you or apply to general grad schemes.

Thank you! I was considering speech and language therapy too, wouldn't I need a linguistics qualification for that though? Rather than just English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Thank you! I was considering speech and language therapy too, wouldn't I need a linguistics qualification for that though? Rather than just English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well UCL doesn't specify that at all- just says a degree, Essex includes English Language in their list of relevant undergraduate degrees
Original post by jelly1000
Well UCL doesn't specify that at all- just says a degree, Essex includes English Language in their list of relevant undergraduate degrees

Ok thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending