The Student Room Group

Leeds Medicine Firmers/freshers 2014

Scroll to see replies

does anyone have any idea what a typical weekly timetable for your first year at leeds would be? i'm trying to get an idea of how much of it is lectures really, and i'm not having any luck finding an example!
Original post by Dr. Django
I'll give you 10 curly wurly's a week! You just can't turn down that kind of offer :tongue:

I want to live as close as possible too, although luckily all of the catered ones are pretty close :smile:

You have yourself a deal! :biggrin: yeah one of the current students I spoke to at interview said it's easier to live on campus to start with and apparently the quality of the catered food is actually pretty good :smile:
when does application for accommodation start out of interest?
Original post by all_dolled_up
Just want to put it out there that I can do a decent roast dinner so I'll be taking flatmate requests for year 2 now. Totally open to bribes :biggrin:

Anyone else really not want to live off campus first year? Not too fussed about catering but I don't want to be contending with public transport unless I have to!

Have you ever thought about cycling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicine Boy
when does application for accommodation start out of interest?

I think it might already be open! I know it closes in July though, so there's plenty of time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have yourself a deal! :biggrin: yeah one of the current students I spoke to at interview said it's easier to live on campus to start with and apparently the quality of the catered food is actually pretty good :smile:

Nice one :wink: love me a good roast!

I 100% agree, makes the transition easier and just means there are less things to worry about all round really!

If I firm I think my favourite choice would be Charles Morris, but I'm not too bothered really as all the catered ones are close, and the furthest one away-Devonshire, provide meals on weekend which is a bonus :tongue:
Original post by WednesdayAddams
Have you ever thought about cycling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has crossed my mind, however I haven't been on a bike much since I was in primary school and I have a worrying track record of close shaves with large vehicles, so I fear I may be exceedingly hazardous if I was let loose on the roads :') I think it is a great idea for a lot of people though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice one :wink: love me a good roast!

I 100% agree, makes the transition easier and just means there are less things to worry about all round really!

If I firm I think my favourite choice would be Charles Morris, but I'm not too bothered really as all the catered ones are close, and the furthest one away-Devonshire, provide meals on weekend which is a bonus :tongue:

Charles Morris is my favourite too :smile: but you are right, weekend meals are certainly an attraction! Might go and have another look round the accommodation if possible, but I guess most people are happy wherever they end up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Charles Morris is my favourite too :smile: but you are right, weekend meals are certainly an attraction! Might go and have another look round the accommodation if possible, but I guess most people are happy wherever they end up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be happy wherever (although I really want catered :tongue:!!) there's an accommodation day on the 22nd march if you need another look!
Reply 69
I'll be happy wherever (although I really want catered :tongue:!!) there's an accommodation day on the 22nd march if you need another look!

Congratulations to all of you with offers and sorry to butt in. I was just having a look around on here and saw this thread - my daughter is in her second year of medicine at Leeds and lived in Charles Morris for the first year. She loved it - just a few minutes walk to the med school and she found that being catered was much more sociable as well as easier - you eat with a whole range of people, not just those in your flat.

It is pricy though, but this seemed to be the only downside.
Original post by Mother2
Congratulations to all of you with offers and sorry to butt in. I was just having a look around on here and saw this thread - my daughter is in her second year of medicine at Leeds and lived in Charles Morris for the first year. She loved it - just a few minutes walk to the med school and she found that being catered was much more sociable as well as easier - you eat with a whole range of people, not just those in your flat.

It is pricy though, but this seemed to be the only downside.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I definitely think Charles Morris is my favourite as my 2 priorities are location and that I'm catered! I've saved up a fair bit of money so I shall be able to spend a bit more in first year I hope :smile:

How is your daughter finding Leeds in general?
Reply 71
Thanks a lot for the advice! I definitely think Charles Morris is my favourite as my 2 priorities are location and that I'm catered! I've saved up a fair bit of money so I shall be able to spend a bit more in first year I hope :smile:

How is your daughter finding Leeds in general?

She loves Leeds and the course. She thinks the nightlife is great and likes the way that everything is so close by. She's now in a big shared house that is about 20 minutes walk from med school - and the prices are fairly reasonable compared with some cities.

She seems to work incredibly hard and the hours are long, but she really loves medicine and doesn't regret the choice . The dissection from the beginning and days on placement are a plus too - though travelling to the placements isn't always easy.
Original post by yesiwasdrunk
I think it might already be open! I know it closes in July though, so there's plenty of time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I have no idea right now where the best place to stay would be, other than the fact that I want to be on campus (as others here have said) and catered

I guess the accommadation day will be useful :smile:
Thanks! I have no idea right now where the best place to stay would be, other than the fact that I want to be on campus (as others here have said) and catered

I guess the accommadation day will be useful :smile:

Best 2 places based on that are Lyddon and Charles Morris :smile: They are my main 2 paramaters as well (Catered and on campus :tongue:!)

I think I'm gonna go for Charles Morris if I firm Leeds, defo going to the accommodation day though!
Best 2 places based on that are Lyddon and Charles Morris :smile: They are my main 2 paramaters as well (Catered and on campus :tongue:!)

I think I'm gonna go for Charles Morris if I firm Leeds, defo going to the accommodation day though!

Yeah I had a look and have the exact same thoughts as you, who knows we may be in the same Halls of residence as each other :biggrin:

I still need to decide whether to firm Leeds though, are you firming Leeds?
Yeah I had a look and have the exact same thoughts as you, who knows we may be in the same Halls of residence as each other :biggrin:

I still need to decide whether to firm Leeds though, are you firming Leeds?

We could indeed! :smile:

I'm going to wait and see if I get any other offers as I am yet to hear from my other 3! I think I'll most likely firm Leeds but there is no need to rush into it!

Where else have you heard from/are you yet to hear from?
Reply 76
We could indeed! :smile:

I'm going to wait and see if I get any other offers as I am yet to hear from my other 3! I think I'll most likely firm Leeds but there is no need to rush into it!

Where else have you heard from/are you yet to hear from?

What does "no IPTV" mean guyssss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495
What does "no IPTV" mean guyssss

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

Might mean you have to pay for tv licence?
Reply 78
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

Might mean you have to pay for tv licence?

Oooo okay that seems the logical answer. When we apply for accomodation we get one choise right? Does anyone know what the catagories we then have to list in inportance are please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone could let me know if there's any useful information given out on the accommodation day that would be really helpful! I'm an international student and there's no way I can make it :P Oh and congrats to everyone getting offers! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending