The Student Room Group

what muscle would get me a wide back and a small bum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andrewruss
Is the OP not stating he is looking for a wider back? Having larger lats and bigger shoulders make you look larger from the back alongside triceps and your obliques/seratus (for the lower portion of the back).

There are exercises for the shoulders too which don't require that much weight either called "Seated bent-over Rear Delt Raises". These work the prosterior deltoid in particular. There are many exercises out there to achieve a 'wide' back.

P.S. DON'T EVEN CONSIDER WATCHING MIKE F-king CHANG, OP!

Back exercises but you're telling him to do rear delt and lateral raises? That's like saying if you want big legs then do calf raises. OP needs to get a pullup bar and if possible join a gym to do heavy rows. You aren't gonna get a big back by rowing 5kg bitch weights

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
Deadlifts, no questions

Though they will get you a beautiful bubble butt, not a small one. Just training one part of your body is stupid anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
He wants a wider back look, I am saying he can achieve this by doing several isolation exercises for multiple muscle groups across the back portion of the body. A pull-up bar would be great and doing wide grip push-ups will force the back muscles to work out more; if integrated with close-gripped push ups he's ultimately working his triceps too.
Original post by silent ninja
Training legs is impossible.

Sent from my HTC One

Na m8, skateboard squats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He wants a wider back look, I am saying he can achieve this by doing several isolation exercises for multiple muscle groups across the back portion of the body. A pull-up bar would be great and doing wide grip push-ups will force the back muscles to work out more; if integrated with close-gripped push ups he's ultimately working his triceps too.

A pullup bar is an ESSENTIAL minimum if you want to train back at home without buying weights. This is the point you objected to in the first place and suggested lateral raises and whatnot.

Sent from my HTC One

No one ever got swole (and balanced) by doing endless isolation exercises with 10kg dumbbells. Its a joke...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
Not very good. Bodyweight squats? Resistance is too low. It becomes cardio. No beginner can do pistol squats. No hamstring or posterior chain work-- sissy squats again working quads. Everyone has underdeveloped posterior muscles. The main trouble here is progressive overload. You can't do that with these exercises*. You may as well just cycle. Even something as simple as lunges, you need weights. Training legs at home properly without weights and bars is very difficult.

*unlike in gymnastics (upper body) where you lower the leverage to increase difficulty eg by changing angle and position.

Sent from my HTC One

That video was just an example to show it is possible to workout legs at home. Those bodyweight squats were probably just a warm up for that guy, and yes I agree pistol squats aren't for beginners.

Off the top of my head a beginner home leg workout could be something like: bodyweight squats to warm up; walking lunges - these do work hamstrings as well as quads, and dumbbells/a barbell aren't essential if you have something else that's heavy to hold onto while doing them; sissy squats; single-leg calf raises. More quads than calves but it's still a possible workout for someone without any weights.

I do agree that going to a gym is a lot more efficient than training legs than at home, but a home leg workout is possible if someone knows what they're doing and are motivated enough.

Quick Reply

Latest