The Student Room Group

How would you act after crying in front of a male teacher? Help please...

Sorry this is so long!
I am a 16 year old girl, and the teacher in question is male and probably in his late thirties, though I'm not entirely sure.
I had to do a speaking assessment for one of the GCSE subjects I take and was extremely stressed about the whole thing.
The teacher walked around the class to speak to the individuals who would have to present, however by the time he got to me I was crying and he saw this. It was not my intention for him to see me, and I really didn't want the attention.
He reacted well considering how absurd this must've seemed, asked me and a friend of mine to go out into the corridor with him discreetly and without the rest of the class really noticing anything was going on, and reassured me that I didn't have to do the presentation that day. He was very kind and seemed to genuinely care, however the hand he kept on my arm made me feel quite uncomfortable. I should point out that he may be aware of some psychological issues I have and so my reaction to the presentation probably didn't come as a huge surprise; I am extremely quiet and obviously shy in class. I was crying continuously throughout the conversation and he told me to wait in the corridor until I had composed myself.
Once I was back in the class he crouched down next to my desk partway through the lesson to see if I was alright, with a hand uncomfortably on my elbow. At the end of the lesson he beckoned me over to his desk to tell me that I could do the assessment with him in private (with a friend present) and that it would happen at a break or lunchtime the first week back after the school break.
Basically the whole situation was extremely embarrassing and I'm wondering how it would be appropriate to behave when I have to see him again. I intend to act like nothing happened, however that will be a little odd considering I have to do the speaking thing in a practically empty room with him when I should be doing it with an entire class watching me.
Will he bring up the crying? How should I behave?
I realise this probably isn't in the right topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hadria
Sorry this is so long!
I am a 16 year old girl, and the teacher in question is male and probably in his late thirties, though I'm not entirely sure.
I had to do a speaking assessment for one of the GCSE subjects I take and was extremely stressed about the whole thing.
The teacher walked around the class to speak to the individuals who would have to present, however by the time he got to me I was crying and he saw this. It was not my intention for him to see me, and I really didn't want the attention.
He reacted well considering how absurd this must've seemed, asked me and a friend of mine to go out into the corridor with him discreetly and without the rest of the class really noticing anything was going on, and reassured me that I didn't have to do the presentation that day. He was very kind and seemed to genuinely care, however the hand he kept on my arm made me feel quite uncomfortable. I should point out that he may be aware of some psychological issues I have and so my reaction to the presentation probably didn't come as a huge surprise; I am extremely quiet and obviously shy in class. I was crying continuously throughout the conversation and he told me to wait in the corridor until I had composed myself.
Once I was back in the class he crouched down next to my desk partway through the lesson to see if I was alright, with a hand uncomfortably on my elbow. At the end of the lesson he beckoned me over to his desk to tell me that I could do the assessment with him in private (with a friend present) and that it would happen at a break or lunchtime the first week back after the school break.
Basically the whole situation was extremely embarrassing and I'm wondering how it would be appropriate to behave when I have to see him again. I intend to act like nothing happened, however that will be a little odd considering I have to do the speaking thing in a practically empty room with him when I should be doing it with an entire class watching me.
I realise this probably isn't in the right topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I had anxiety problems with presentations when I was younger - couldnt even read aloud in class. I havent cried infront of a teacher before since year10 over it. I wouldn't worry about it if i were you.

He seems very understanding, just act normal. Say thank you i feel better doing the presentation in private.

If you need help or want to hear what happened with me just PM me :smile: x
I was upset because I was lonely at school and my Physics teacher comforted me. He was really nice about it and none of my female teachers have ever done that. He said to walk with him and calm down and he asked me if I was okay and stuff. He's kept an eye on me ever since. But he's really nice and jokes about the football with me, helps me with my work and with stuff like A-Level choices because I am in Y11, and also DofE since he and this other teacher are in charge of that. I found it a little odd at first but we've all met his wife on DofE and he isn't a weirdo or anything. Sorry I haven't really helped you. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be embarrassed. Being upset is natural and I'm sure your teacher knows what it feels like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hadria
Sorry this is so long!

I would act like nothing happened apart from just saying something like 'thanks for not making me do it in front of the class'. That way, he knows that you appreciate him being nice about it but it doesn't make things awkward. I doubt he'll bring it up unless you do :smile:
Reply 4
Your teacher sounds lovely, very understanding and caring. Yours is a very common reaction to this kind of situation. You are still very young and age and experience will help you overcome these problems I promise. He probably won't even mention it again. Literally try to forget it now, revise and practice in front of mates and family. Good luck hun x
Omg...I can seriously relate to this as I'm also a very sensitive 17 year old teenage girl who is easily overwhelmed by school stress. In my situation, my partner and I had to design a mouse trap car in physics class, but she did not reply to my email regarding when and where to meet up to build the car. So I had to construct it all on my own, which resulted in cramming study time for a math progressive test and computer science test at the last minute. It was the anger and stress that made me cry during physics class the next day, although I was able to hold it in for the first 15 min of class (I had a strong willpower to never cry in front of an adult male). At first I was able to calmly tell my physics teacher about my partner's lack of contribution, but I totally lost it when he confronted me (agreeing on a penalty for my partner) the second time 15 min later. His reaction was basically asking me what's been going on and when I told him everything, he praised me for being a hard-working and talented student in a sympathetic way and offered to extend the project deadline. Like you, I was also extremely embarrassed the whole time (since I cried in front of a male teacher for the first time), even though I kept my voice steady and managed not to sob. The next day, I apologized to my physics teacher (just in case I also made him feel uncomfortable too) as well as expressed my embarrassment. On the positive note, he was very understanding of my stressful situation and even offered help on making any necessary changes to my project. So yeah, that was my story. Trust me, you're not alone. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending