The Student Room Group

Questions regarding the reputation of some universities in Europe

Hey everyone,

I am Indian student wishing to study Development in Europe. I recently received an acceptance letter from the University of Sussex for their Master's Programme in Development Studies.

I had a few questions;

1. Since I am looking for employment opportunities after the course, how active is the university's placement cell regarding the same?

2. Which is a better programme in development, UCL/SOAS/SUSSEX or ISS Hague in the Netherlands?

Thank you so much for taking time out!
Sussex IDS is very strong for development studies, so you will be very fine studying there. SOAS is also renowned for DS (I think the main advantage might be the location: being in London might help your networking, information, and so on)... But I am sure Sussex IDS can also give extremely good job prospects (where you also accepted by SOAS?). Tbh I'm not sure about ISS Hague, sorry.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I haven't received a reply from SOAS yet. Also, if you know, could you tell me a little about the kind of employment opportunities that students have gotten after a master's from Sussex? For example, UCL's website states quite a few international ngos and think tanks in which their students get placed. Sussex on the other hand doesn't mention any particular organisations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gaurisaxena
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I haven't received a reply from SOAS yet. Also, if you know, could you tell me a little about the kind of employment opportunities that students have gotten after a master's from Sussex? For example, UCL's website states quite a few international ngos and think tanks in which their students get placed. Sussex on the other hand doesn't mention any particular organisations.

I think NGOs and think tanks are somehow a 'typical' placement. However, why don't you write them an email? They might have a placement record, I would honestly try if you are not sure.
Reply 4
Alright. I think I will. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply 5
I got an acceptance from SOAS too about a month ago. I'm in a real dilemma!
Reply 6
If your doing development studies I think ISS which is part of Erasmus university should be your top choice. Not only is it extremely highly reputed, there are a tonne of NGO's and think tanks based in the Hague, not to mention EU and UN organisations. SOAS would be a close second. If you got into either of those two I would give Sussex a miss
Reply 7
ISS in the Hague is part of Erasmus university and it has an excellent reputation. I would say that should be your top choice followed by SOAS as a close second. Ditch Sussex.
Reply 8
Thanks for your feedback! I decided against applying to Hague because they want considerable work experience. The choice is between SOAS and IDS Sussex now. Well, everyone has been asking me to take up IDS. Any reasons why you think SOAS will be better?
I will also go to Sussex, but I will do the MA migration studies. But since I did check out the development degrees too, I'll just share my thoughts / research with you.

SOAS recently received quite a bit of funding. That might be good for further research grants etc (sorry, on mobile so no links). They also have a very obvious regional profile. I'd look at staff profiles for further research.
However, the costs of the courses differ (even if only by 5k). Also, living costs do vary quite a lot between london and Brighton, so take a look at your finances. I say that because when it comes to reputation, the people I spoke to (postgrads from other unis, international professors...) mentioned both unis as top choices with good staff and high esteem in the field.
For me, it came down to the course structure. I mainly decided that I'd go to Sussex because of the school for global studies and its structure as well as the placement-based dissertation.

Either way, good luck with your decision!
Reply 10
Original post by CrossingBorders
I will also go to Sussex, but I will do the MA migration studies. But since I did check out the development degrees too, I'll just share my thoughts / research with you.

SOAS recently received quite a bit of funding. That might be good for further research grants etc (sorry, on mobile so no links). They also have a very obvious regional profile. I'd look at staff profiles for further research.
However, the costs of the courses differ (even if only by 5k). Also, living costs do vary quite a lot between london and Brighton, so take a look at your finances. I say that because when it comes to reputation, the people I spoke to (postgrads from other unis, international professors...) mentioned both unis as top choices with good staff and high esteem in the field.
For me, it came down to the course structure. I mainly decided that I'd go to Sussex because of the school for global studies and its structure as well as the placement-based dissertation.

Either way, good luck with your decision!

Thank you. That really helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending