The Student Room Group

M2 question -Motion Under Gravity in 2D

Help? I keep getting the wrong answer :/
Reply 1
You first need to find all the forces acting on the ball; especially the resistance friction force, or the resultant force. Then, you can either use suvat or work-energy principles (taking into account change in gpe and the energy lost due to friction). If you still cannot find the answer, I would double check the calculations...
Reply 2
Original post by flyyoufools

Help? I keep getting the wrong answer :/

Can you show us what equations of motion you have derived so far?
Reply 3
Original post by davros
Can you show us what equations of motion you have derived so far?

Original post by Agecaf
You first need to find all the forces acting on the ball; especially the resistance friction force, or the resultant force. Then, you can either use suvat or work-energy principles (taking into account change in gpe and the energy lost due to friction). If you still cannot find the answer, I would double check the calculations...

Sorry, forgot to reply! All the work I'd done was scribbles anyway so wouldn't have been any use. I had been trying to do it with just forces but it wasn't working so I did it with energy and got it :smile: Just one question (dead basic) why is it with (delta)GPE=mg(delta)h that putting g as minus ends up giving you a decrease in energy if the height increases? :/ I ended up just using it as a magnitude to get the increase in energy but I just wanted to know what I was supposed to do? I felt like it was too basic to ask my teacher and didn't really want him treating me like more of an idiot tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest