The Student Room Group

Reading into things too much/Paranoia

Hi.

I was wondering whether any of you have/have had any similar experiences and if you have any advice.

I read into things far too much and I'll always assume the worst.

Eg, I've been watching a television show with a housemate and we haven't watched it for a few weeks and I'm worrying that they don't want to be with me and (this is the paranoia bit) that they want to, for lack of a better word, 'punish' me (because they know I like watching it)

I'm sure there are many other examples but they've slipped my mind.

Any help/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated because this whole issue is really affecting me.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi.

I was wondering whether any of you have/have had any similar experiences and if you have any advice.

I read into things far too much and I'll always assume the worst.

Eg, I've been watching a television show with a housemate and we haven't watched it for a few weeks and I'm worrying that they don't want to be with me and (this is the paranoia bit) that they want to, for lack of a better word, 'punish' me (because they know I like watching it)

I'm sure there are many other examples but they've slipped my mind.

Any help/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated because this whole issue is really affecting me.

I understand completely where you're coming from but try to look at such things from another point of view. Instead of overthinking the negative, try to think about the positive. What if, for example in the case you've mentioned, your housemate is avoiding you for similar reasons? You should always keep the negative option as the last resort. Usually its all a lack of communication or a small misunderstanding that leads to any sort of paranoia. The best way to deal with it is to be blunt and, if you're the shy type, remember that other people may be as well so try to overcome your shyness first. You'll benefit from it in the end. Don't judge yourself too harshly; everyone overthinks, its just a matter handling yourself. :smile:
I currently have this with a guy I'm texting. I read into his taking long to reply, that he's doing it deliberately or he's done talking to me. I'm constantly paranoid about him

Quick Reply

Latest