The Student Room Group

Allpro's Beginner Routine

Alright, so I've finally joined a gym after much pussyfooting around, and I'm going to make my debut on Monday with Allpro's beginner workout. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1 I just wondered if anyone had given it a go, and generally what the knowledgeable brahs of TSR thought of it. I've always been pretty skinny, so I'm obviously not trying to lose fat, just gain muscle, and I've started to eat a hell of a lot more than I used to. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Beginners shouldn't do stiff leg deadlifts. If you don't do them properly then you could do your back in pretty easily. Learn to deadlift first with good form then you can think about stiff legged. Deadlifting for so many reps is stupid.

Calf raises are pointless, at least for beginners.

It's fairly slow progression for a beginner. You want to be putting more weight on the bar every session for as long as you can because eventually you will have to work harder for it so it makes sense to take the quick noob gains as quickly as you can.

Always adding 10% makes no sense, related to the point above. Say you start with 50kg, next cycle you do 55kg. Eventually you get to 100kg, the next week you do 110kg. The increases become harder as it becomes harder to make progress, you are setting yourself up to fail doing that.

There's no reason to stick to 1min30 rest. There's a place in training for timed rest but 1min30 isn't much and there's no justification for you doing it.

You don't need to do cardio if that isn't part of your goals- burning more calories= needing to eat more=harder to gain.

Putting abs in with cardio tends to turn it into 200 sit ups which is endurance. You want to train to have strong abs to support you squatting and deadlifting.

It's all too high volume. Higher rep = gain size. Lower rep= strength. Though it is what they are optimal for- you can still gain one doing the other. Your goals may be size but you need to get stronger too.

Ignoring the 10%, it might be all right for someone a bit past beginner but I'd suggest starting with Icecream Fitness 5x5
Reply 2
Ok, cheers for that. As far as the actual lifts themselves go, are they a good set of lifts for a beginner if you forget about the other aspects of the routine like adding 10%, if you get what I mean?
Reply 3
Original post by Dr Pesto
Ok, cheers for that. As far as the actual lifts themselves go, are they a good set of lifts for a beginner if you forget about the other aspects of the routine like adding 10%, if you get what I mean?

yeah, you want to focus on compound movements- where several joints move- so those are good
Reply 4
Does anyone else have an opinion?
Original post by Dr Pesto
Does anyone else have an opinion?

As it says in thread, there's too much volume and progression would be vile on it.

Look at Starting Strength, Ice cream fitness 5x5 and stronglifts 5x5 for a far better routine, where progression would be linear and fairly manageable
Original post by BKS
Beginners shouldn't do stiff leg deadlifts. If you don't do them properly then you could do your back in pretty easily. Learn to deadlift first with good form then you can think about stiff legged. Deadlifting for so many reps is stupid.

SLD is safer than the regular deadlift, plus doing squats with SLD address the posterior chain and introduces a balance. In fact this is why AllPro chose the SLD instead of the deadlift.

Calf raises are pointless, at least for beginners.

Do you think squats and deadlifts work calves? No, and if you don't work them THEY'RE NOT GOING TO GROW.

It's all too high volume. Higher rep = gain size. Lower rep= strength. Though it is what they are optimal for- you can still gain one doing the other. Your goals may be size but you need to get stronger too.

There's 14 sets. ICF 5x5 has 29 sets. That's half the volume of ICF. Do you even know what volume is?

God almighty
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by crazytown2014
God almighty

You're wrong but this thread is from February so there's no point debating it :tongue:
Original post by BKS
You're wrong but this thread is from February so there's no point debating it :tongue:

Not really All pro is still a massively popular and proven routine and your advice is some of the worst advice I've ever seen.
Original post by crazytown2014
God almighty

I'll bite

SLD is safer than the regular deadlift, plus doing squats with SLD address the posterior chain and introduces a balance. In fact this is why AllPro chose the SLD instead of the deadlift.

A SLD addresses more hamstring work and less back. The normal deadlift addresses everything in the posterior chain roughly equally, which is ideal for a beginner.

Do you think squats and deadlifts work calves? No, and if you don't work them THEY'RE NOT GOING TO GROW.

Your calves may or may not grow depending on whether you isolate them or not, I for instance have never really done calf isolation work yet deadlifting makes my calves grow.

As a beginner you have no real muscle, why spend time on growing your calves? Not that it'd hurt to do some calf work anyway, it's just not of great importance.

here's 14 sets. ICF 5x5 has 29 sets. That's half the volume of ICF. Do you even know what volume is?

Set x rep amount.

All pro has a lot of volume, and it's progression is ridiculous
Problem with all pro's is that it takes you 5 weeks to increase weight. 5 WEEKS. The progressive overload is tiiiiny. Compared to a standard A/B/A linear progression where you increase the weight 3 times every 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest